Explain OFFERS

Watch this thread
Patty8919
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As a U.S. student still grasping the postgrad application process in the UK, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out firming offers. I have applied to five schools: Kingston, Queen Mary, KCL, UAL and UCL. So far, I have received a conditional offer from Kingston. I obviously want to hear back from the other schools, but how long do I have until Kingston rescinds their offer? Can someone explain the juggling/waiting game/timeline for me?

Thanks!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Patty8919)
As a U.S. student still grasping the postgrad application process in the UK, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out firming offers. I have applied to five schools: Kingston, Queen Mary, KCL, UAL and UCL. So far, I have received a conditional offer from Kingston. I obviously want to hear back from the other schools, but how long do I have until Kingston rescinds their offer? Can someone explain the juggling/waiting game/timeline for me?
They wont 'rescind' their offer.

If its a Conditional offer then if you meet the terms of that offer, you have a place.
You can hold as many offers at pg level as you like though common sense would suggest that only one or two is actually necessary.
You can wait until you have all your offers/decisions and them turn away the ones you no longer want to consider/hold. YOu then just wait until your results tell you if you have met the offer or not. That can be as late as August/Sept if necessary.
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Only some unis have a deadline by which you must make a decision and maybe put down a deposit but this isn't common.
Patty8919
Rep:
(Original post by returnmigrant)
They wont 'rescind' their offer.

If its a Conditional offer then if you meet the terms of that offer, you have a place.
You can hold as many offers at pg level as you like though common sense would suggest that only one or two is actually necessary.
You can wait until you have all your offers/decisions and them turn away the ones you no longer want to consider/hold. YOu then just wait until your results tell you if you have met the offer or not. That can be as late as August/Sept if necessary.
(Original post by alleycat393)
Only some unis have a deadline by which you must make a decision and maybe put down a deposit but this isn't common.

What if they need time for visa processing? How does that play into it?
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well you need to make a decision leaving sufficient time to apply for your visa.
returnmigrant
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They can usually issue your CAS (visa clearance doc) as soon as your place is confirmed.
Email your favourite Uni/course to find out their process so you can get this going as soon as possible,
Patty8919
Rep:
Thank you guys for the helpful information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
31.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (25)
37.88%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.03%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.06%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.52%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise