Are white lies morally ok? Watch

username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've lied before to people saying that I follow a particular religion & that I enjoyed something that they were really interested in as I didn't want them to get upset/angry, plus at the time I just found it too hard to say the truth as I was worried about how they'd react. Opinions?
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've lied before to people saying that I follow a particular religion & that I enjoyed something that they were really interested in as I didn't want them to get upset/angry, plus at the time I just found it too hard to say the truth as I was worried about how they'd react. Opinions?
That's not a white lie lmao
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why lie about your religion lol, or your interests? People won't get angry at you for liking different things to them
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This has nothing to do with morality.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
These are not white lies, these lies could put u in prison, and prison is for black people, black lies is more correct
idktbh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
Everybody lies about little things seems like u just didn't want to hurt their feelings which is fine by my morals

Posted from TSR Mobile
username927016
Rep:
?
(Original post by somemightsay888)
That's not a white lie lmao
It can be imo...
Evening
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would be funny if you pretended to be jewish and they asked to see your penis.
username927016
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evening)
Would be funny if you pretended to be jewish and they asked to see your penis.
I'm circumsised anyway so that shouldn't be a problem, although it would be awkward actually having to show them it haha
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Morals' are largely a social construction, there is some evolutionary benefits to them too but on the whole you can lie as much as you won't and nothing dire will happen. Tell lies if you want, there's no such thing as karma.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Big question. It depends. Most lies are generally okay if you're lying to protect someone in the long run. I don't condone lies that are used to temporarily save your ass, like cheating on your relationship and serious things like that which directly involve other people - in the long run you're just hurting yourself and everyone around you. If your lie is protecting yourself and everyone around you in the long run, then generally speaking it might be alright.

I lie through my teeth to protect my family from finding out a hell of a lot of things about me. I know that if they knew certain truths then it would kill them. I can't deal with that. I already feel incredibly guilty for being a huge burden on them, they don't deserve more **** from me. In situations similar to this I'd say lie as much as you need to. I'm not going to hurt my family in the long run because the things I'm hiding from them don't concern them. It's what comes after the lie that determines whether or not it's okay.
Thickfreakness
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it's right to lie. But I don't always practise what I preach, so that makes me a hypocrite. Still, lying is always wrong, but sometimes necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.32%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.13%
Not great so far... (256)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.74%

Watched Threads