The Student Room Group

Advice for an International student

Hello all,

I'm a rising senior at a high school in CA and I'm highly interested to applying to a few UK universities. My top choice would be Cambridge for computer science. After some research, I decided that I liked Churchill college the best. I recently emailed the Churchill college admissions office asking if I needed to fly in for an interview and they said that it's necessary for them but other colleges might not have that requirement. So my question is, should I fly in for the interview or inquire with other colleges? I feel like if I flew in, it shows that I'm serious about attending school internationally and so it might improve my chances. But the downside is mainly the cost and inconvenience of flying that far for the interview. So what do you guys think? Should I fly in for an interview or not? I feel like I have a decent chance of admission because my test scores are fairly good.

If anyone is familiar with US testing credentials, I have gotten a 2310 on the SATs, an 800 on SAT Math 2, an 800 in SAT Biology, scores of 5 on AP Computer Science, AP Biology, AP English Language, AP European History, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, and a score of 4 on AP US History.

Thanks in advance,
Adhithya Mohanraj
Original post by ad1269
Hello all,

I'm a rising senior at a high school in CA and I'm highly interested to applying to a few UK universities. My top choice would be Cambridge for computer science. After some research, I decided that I liked Churchill college the best. I recently emailed the Churchill college admissions office asking if I needed to fly in for an interview and they said that it's necessary for them but other colleges might not have that requirement. So my question is, should I fly in for the interview or inquire with other colleges? I feel like if I flew in, it shows that I'm serious about attending school internationally and so it might improve my chances. But the downside is mainly the cost and inconvenience of flying that far for the interview. So what do you guys think? Should I fly in for an interview or not? I feel like I have a decent chance of admission because my test scores are fairly good.

If anyone is familiar with US testing credentials, I have gotten a 2310 on the SATs, an 800 on SAT Math 2, an 800 in SAT Biology, scores of 5 on AP Computer Science, AP Biology, AP English Language, AP European History, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, and a score of 4 on AP US History.

Thanks in advance,
Adhithya Mohanraj

I would definitely come over - assuming you are invited for interview. The expense will be a tiny fraction of the overall cost of your education.

If you are looking for advice/reassurance about your qualifications, I would post in one of the Cambridge forums - perhaps the one where you can ask a member of the Peterhouse admissions teams questions pertaining to your particular circumstances.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice; I hadn't really thought about it that way before. I'll definitely post in one of the Cambridge forums about my qualifications. Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending