The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education - Business

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting an Access to Business course in this coming September and was wondering if anyone else has done the course and if so, what modules did you do as part of the course and what can I expect in terms of workload? Lastly which universities did you apply to and who gave you offers/rejections (planning on applying to some top universities and want to gauge their attitude towards the course).

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply 1
I did an access course in Business

Do not do it. I know its not what you want to hear but don't do it.

You will end up doing like 5-10 exams such as accounting, business mathematics and statistics and the economics side is so hard, it will be rushed to be taught.

I failed anyway, trying to get into a foundation year in Music. My advice (odd advice anyway) is to be prepared to fight with the tutors, if work is not marked for example, force them, shout at them. And beware of the coursework levels. I think for the first six weeks is calm but it gets worse in November and it turns into a very distressing period between February-June which many people realise how bad the access course is run.

This is just a tip btw: You don't have to do an access course, universities these days would allow a person to enter into a foundation year course (Not HND/foundation degree), think about this and the workload is less than what you are about to experience with the access course.
Original post by O.Ozz

Do not do it. I know its not what you want to hear but don't do it.

You will end up doing like 5-10 exams such as accounting, business mathematics and statistics and the economics side is so hard, it will be rushed to be taught.

I failed anyway, trying to get into a foundation year in Music. My advice (odd advice anyway) is to be prepared to fight with the tutors, if work is not marked for example, force them, shout at them. And beware of the coursework levels. I think for the first six weeks is calm but it gets worse in November and it turns into a very distressing period between February-June which many people realise how bad the access course is run.

This is just a tip btw: You don't have to do an access course, universities these days would allow a person to enter into a foundation year course (Not HND/foundation degree), think about this and the workload is less than what you are about to experience with the access course.

Thank you for the advice and first of all I'm sorry for the unpleasant experience that you had with your access course. I'd rather try my hardest and fail than not try at all and regret what could have been so regardless of difficulty I'm going to give it a shot and aim as high as I can university wise.
Original post by O.Ozz
My advice (odd advice anyway) is to be prepared to fight with the tutors, if work is not marked for example, force them, shout at them.

this is excellent advice. i would also advise bringng firearms into class and kidnaping their loved ones
I did an Access to Business course and completed it (September 2014 - June 2015)

Depending on your awarding body, you'll have to complete several assignments as coursework (7-10) and a couple of exams (2-5)

Personally, I completed 8 or so coursework assignments (I don't have the exact number to hand) and 2 exams at the beginning of June.

I won't lie to you, the course is challenging but if you're organised, it can be highly rewarding and benefitcal to yourself for the duriation of your course year. The quicker you complete assignments, the more and more time you'll have to complete other ones as well as extra revision time.

Attend all lessons. That is a must!

I'm hopefully expecting an overall Distinction. I'll know by next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by andiewithanie
this is excellent advice. i would also advise bringng firearms into class and kidnaping their loved ones

You laugh bro?

I regret not losing my temper at the tutors. They just looked at me as this introvert with a mental health condition. If i had toughed up, be a man and lost it with them, maybe i would have passed or gotten somewhere with the course
a little bit, yeah, but mostly i feel bad for you. bad because you're upbringing was obviously so inadequate/dysfunctional you think losing your temper is the way to get things done. bad that you've not learnt how to behave like a grown up, bad that NHS has enabled your behavioural issues by pathologising them - thereby esuring that you'll probably never change, never mature appropriately, never develop free will and spend the rest of your life simply reacting.
What kind of modules did you do, (and if you don't mind be asking) which universities did you apply to and which ones accepted and which ones rejected you.
I applied to:
Aberdeen University
Portsmouth University
Liverpool University
Manchester Metropolitan University
Sheffield University

I received conditional offers from all of the above which was fantastic, but in the end I chose MMU for my Accounting and Finance course as it has the highest recognition for employability options at a professional level.

In terms of modules completed on my Access course, you do 5 introduction modules to Business then modules in Corporate Social Responsibily, EU Business, Business research, Finance, International Business, Business management (there the ones I remember)

You have to learn how to do Harvard referencing too, you'll have 1 or 2 lessons of those on Access. You need to learn it for Uni as most courses require you to do this for your assignments. So fun the time you start Uni you should have an advantage over those who did A-Levels or Btecs.

Hope this helps.
Reply 9
Original post by andiewithanie
a little bit, yeah, but mostly i feel bad for you. bad because you're upbringing was obviously so inadequate/dysfunctional you think losing your temper is the way to get things done. bad that you've not learnt how to behave like a grown up, bad that NHS has enabled your behavioural issues by pathologising them - thereby esuring that you'll probably never change, never mature appropriately, never develop free will and spend the rest of your life simply reacting.

How dare you insult my upbringing. There's nothing wrong with showing a bit of a 'dark side' to show people that you are serious.

I wish i had lost it, i can imagine me shouting and swearing at them would have put me in the better place. Yes you can say i have anger management, after all i now feel better than i can lose my temper at anyone either in public or even my own family. Psychologically people will be scared of you once you yell in front of THEIR face.

How dare you insult me, you don't know me fam.
HI, I also completed an access course in June and from the information I've gained on this site alongside my own experiences I can tell you that the whole course will depend on your awarding body and which college your attending. My awarding body was Ascentis and whilst I found the course content to be OK the college I attended was awful, lacking any sort of organisational skills, a shame as they had some very good tutors. The units I did were:
Study Skills
Further Study Skills
Intro to Business Studies
Intro to Economics
Intro to Marketing
Business Finance
Cash Flow Forecasting
Research Project (Business Studies)
Research Project (Marketing)
Business and Organisation Structures
Investigating Management: Theories of Managing Staff
Principles of Business Strategy (Exam)
Principles of Marketing Strategy (Exam)

I applied to Aston, BCU, Wolverhampton, Coventry and University of Birmingham. I received offers from all but UoB, ranging from just a pass (BCU) to 30 Distinction and 15 Merits (Aston). In the end I got 45 Distinction and will be going to Aston in September to study international business and economics.
Original post by mature35
HI, I also completed an access course in June and from the information I've gained on this site alongside my own experiences I can tell you that the whole course will depend on your awarding body and which college your attending. My awarding body was Ascentis and whilst I found the course content to be OK the college I attended was awful, lacking any sort of organisational skills, a shame as they had some very good tutors. The units I did were:
Study Skills
Further Study Skills
Intro to Business Studies
Intro to Economics
Intro to Marketing
Business Finance
Cash Flow Forecasting
Research Project (Business Studies)
Research Project (Marketing)
Business and Organisation Structures
Investigating Management: Theories of Managing Staff
Principles of Business Strategy (Exam)
Principles of Marketing Strategy (Exam)

I applied to Aston, BCU, Wolverhampton, Coventry and University of Birmingham. I received offers from all but UoB, ranging from just a pass (BCU) to 30 Distinction and 15 Merits (Aston). In the end I got 45 Distinction and will be going to Aston in September to study international business and economics.

HI, im so late, but was ur course awarded by QAA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending