The Student Room Group

Are we the most self-loathing country in Europe?

I was flicking through the other thread on the Society sub-forum- and I am absolutely shocked by the amount of self-hate we seem to have for ourselves in this country. Maybe it's just because I'm 24 and the majority of people on the forum are younger and probably more naive, but it just reeks of "The grass is greener" syndrome.

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that British society is far from perfect. We live in a society affected by modern globalisation, and there is a culture of "Yobbishness and binge drinking". However, though I'm far from being a tory voter, this budget addressing Child Benefits and stopping being paid to families with more than 2 children seems a step in the right direct, imo.

As has also been said, due to globalisation, so many British traditions and either mocked and seen as twee (I.e Morris dancing), or are dying out altogether, like many folk music styles. Yet we admire the folk traditions of other European countries. Surely this too is part of the self-hatred of our society. We don't even acknowledge the many inventions, cultural contributions and achievements made by Britons, and the many cultural institutions that still exist in this country. Yet, despite this self-hatred, we still claim to be "xenophobic, despite the fact that we embrace outside influences??!!"

We seem to hate even our own cities and countryside. We see all the time about how much we hate certain cities and architecture, and talk about how our countryside is overrated. Yet we wax lyrical about "The Beauty of Tuscany" and think every city on the continent resembles Prague, Venice or Florence. What about the Lake District, Peak District, Scottish Highlands or the Dorset and Cornish coasts. What about Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, York, Canterbury or Chester. I bet most people aren't even aware that central Liverpool is a world heritage site, yet mock the city with jokes about Petty crime and Scouse?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
"British" identity (never English identity) is only ever praised openly when in it's in the context of progressivism, i.e "We British are so open minded and tolerant and that's why I love being British!" or something lame like "We Brits love to queue!". British people actively hate their own heritage and that's why you are committing cultural and genetic suicide right now.
Being proud of being British is frowned upon. You can't wave a Union Jack without being branded a UKIP-supporting racist. And yet people of different nationalities are allowed to celebrate their own countries and traditions - which I am all for, I find it fascinating learning about new cultures. But it's just sad that as a country we have lost our identity.
people stereotype. UK life is no worse than other countries.
I know and it genuinely makes me angry, people are so quick to slag off this country (both white and non-white) and even quicker to take advantage of our fantastic free healthcare, free education and freedom of speech
It's all true.
This self-loathing stems from a faith, often not understood as such, that every person on the planet should enjoy the same standard of living irrespective of their abilities and behaviour. With this in mind, in a global and historical context, it is all too easy to associate being British with success, or "privilege". This makes the British the "oppressors" of all races who are not successful, or "equal", and to the Marxist perspective who can one hate more than what used to be labelled the bourgeoisie (and has now been replaced culturally by the entire white population)?

They hate their self-defined "privilege", in a nutshell. They yearn to be "oppressed" and will not rest until they have destroyed the entire foundations on which this success lies.
Reply 7
That must be a rhetoric question, surely. Germany is the most self-loathing country in Europe.
Isn't British humour based on self-deprecation and one's own misery?
Sweden is worse.
Reply 10
I'm more "patriotic" about UK than most people and I'm not even from here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending