Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I got a book called "The really useful student cook book" last year...it's actually really good - even tells you how to make the basics like pancakes and omelettes.
    I have "The really useful ultimate student cookbook" - its really good even though I have only really used it to get ideas! Have tried a few recipes though, and they've all worked pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    do you tend to share your food around or do you buy your own? Buy my own, but share milk.

is there a lot of room in the freezers/fridges? We have one fridgefreezer and one tiny fridge between 6 of us which is crap.

what kind of food do you buy? do you have a varied diet or is it the same thing every day? Bag of apples, big bunch of bananas, pears and some other fruit each week. Quorn mince, plain fillets, sausages, burgers and swedish style balls. I normally have a pack of oven chips in, too. Loads of pasta, rice, salad stuff veg and soft cheese. I have a pretty varied diet. Apart from it being veggie of course.

how much do you spend a week on food? About £25 but it would be cheaper if I wasnt veggie and also we dont have any cheap supermarkets nearby.

We all cook seperately. Its best because we are all in at different times.

how many cookers are there? do you struggle for space? One cooker and a microwave. You normally have to queue for a hob and we had to provide our own toaster, kettle etc.

do you ever get hungry? No I snack on fruit a lot.
    viviki thanks for that, i'm veggie myself and was wondering how much more expensive it was going to be (quorn is pricey )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    viviki thanks for that, i'm veggie myself and was wondering how much more expensive it was going to be (quorn is pricey )
    If you are near a decent supermarket it will be cheaper. We only have mini tescos round here and they'll only sell about one veggie product. If my friend goes to big tesco in her car I'll tag along and thats a cheaper shop but otherwise I'm buying in holland and barrats and it isnt too cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a veggie and I quite often buy frozen quorn mince at out big Tescos when it's buy one get one free - much safer than getting value mince which probably has ground up Tesco employees in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    From when I was in hall sharing a kitchen with 19 others

do you tend to share your food around or do you buy your own? Buy my own. There were a couple of people who'd become close friends quickly who used to share.

is there a lot of room in the freezers/fridges? We had 2 large fridge freezers between us. It worked out at about 2/3 of a shelf in each for each person - we also had a lockable cupboard for equipment/pans each and a shelf in a normal cupboard for cans/dry food.

what kind of food do you buy? do you have a varied diet or is it the same thing every day? Oven chips, crispy chicken, asda large meat feast pizzas (used to get them for when I went out - would eat half for tea then put the other half in the fridge and had it for breakfast), crispy pancakes, pasta - lots of pasta, stir in sauces etc etc. Also I'd treat myself to one proper meal a week - either a nice stirfry/curry or a some meat & veg & gravy. I don't eat potatoes so baked potatoes weren't an option - and I'm not fond of cheese or beans either which is why my shopping used to work out a bit more expensive. I always however saved money on nights out because I'm an extreme lightweight so while everyone else spent an extra £5 a week on beer I didn't need to.

how much do you spend a week on food? It used to work out at about £20 a week - including quite a lot of chocolate

how many cookers are there? do you struggle for space? We had 2 gas cookers with 4 rings each and two ovens (including one that doubled as a grill). It would sometimes be busy but not too bad...we learnt to live around each other (eg some people used a rice cooker instead of a hob, one person used to do vast quantities of chilli that would sit on a back ring happily for days on end, we bought a couple of extra cooling racks to make 2 extra shelves on the bottom of the ovens).

do you ever get hungry? No. I used to get bacon baguettes occassionally for breakfast when I had a morning lecture (they cost 45p and were massive and I never feel like cooking in the morning).
    pq is this from when you were at soton or rhul please? :confused:
    did you stay in the rhul accommodation? is it good? thanks

(Original post by alocin)
    I'm not a veggie and I quite often buy frozen quorn mince at out big Tescos when it's buy one get one free - much safer than getting value mince which probably has ground up Tesco employees in it!
    also you can often get TVP etc from health food shops some asian supermarkets places like that and it often works out quite a bit cheaper than e.g. quorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    also you can often get TVP etc from health food shops some asian supermarkets places like that and it often works out quite a bit cheaper than e.g. quorn.
    What is TVP??

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    TVP-textured vegetable protein (food technology GCSE came to some good use! ) it's basically the same as soya and quorn, vegetarian meat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    TVP-textured vegetable protein (food technology GCSE came to some good use! ) it's basically the same as soya and quorn, vegetarian meat!
    oh right!!

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    In self catering flats do you generally eat together or do you eat separately??
    it depends on the people and the living space! some halls at my brother and sister's unis it was just physically impossible to all sit and eat together! i think generally you cater just for yourself but if you get on and you're all in you might do it together!

ReputationRep:
    might be a silly question...but if the majority of u buy ur own food, does it get taken? i mean by other housemates without asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    might be a silly question...but if the majority of u buy ur own food, does it get taken? i mean by other housemates without asking
    I've heard that as well, that your food gets stolen from the fridge!!
    Will i need to buy lockable tuppaware boxes??

Any other probs anyone has had with self catering...or any tips of what to bring..what not to bring or how to survive??

ReputationRep:
    do you mark your food.. with markers or anything?

ReputationRep:
    that's why i'm worried..im partial to a few nice treats that I wouldn't like ppl taking! ppl have suggested that i keep everything in my room (noo way)

i'll get a minifridge, but i'm hoping to share stuff like butter, bread, milk eggs. i'd only really use the milk.

and i'd share cleaning stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabzp)
    that's why i'm worried..im partial to a few nice treats that I wouldn't like ppl taking! ppl have suggested that i keep everything in my room (noo way)

i'll get a minifridge, but i'm hoping to share stuff like butter, bread, milk eggs. i'd only really use the milk.

and i'd share cleaning stuff
    I suppose it depends on your housemates....
    I would expect to share maybe milk, bread, butter......but keep everything else separate...but i suppose it depends who eats what...
    I think that usually you have your own cupboard as well?

ReputationRep:
    It'll depend on your flatmates as to whether your food will get nicked. I was lucky with mine.

There'd be the odd few occassions where you'd get 'oh I've borrowed some of your *insert food here*' but to be fair it was always replaced and we all knew eachother so well by the end that it didn't bother us cause if we had been in the kitchen to be asked we would have said yes anyways.

(Original post by nabzp)
    my boyfriend had lots of problems with another flatmate's friends coming up to the flat all th etime (they were banned from there by the management but they still came) and they would just take stuff out the fridge etc.. they would do stuff like open an unopened bottle of drink and take some out.. but then you wouldn't want to drink the rest because knowing them they probably hadnt used a glass etc..

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    In self catering flats do you generally eat together or do you eat separately??
    If you like the people, you may choose to eat with them occasionally. If you like them and trust them, you may even let them cook for you from time to time. If you hate them as passionately as I hate the toothache, then you are going to want to spend as little time with them as physically possible...

Hope my pearls of wisdom come in handy

Which uni are you off to anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    If you like the people, you may choose to eat with them occasionally. If you like them and trust them, you may even let them cook for you from time to time. If you hate them as passionately as I hate the toothache, then you are going to want to spend as little time with them as physically possible...

Hope my pearls of wisdom come in handy

Which uni are you off to anyway?

The Lovely University of Birmingham!!

I can't wait- i am sooooooooooo excitied!!! I really hope i get accomodation- i live quite near so its not guaranteed!

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    my boyfriend had lots of problems with another flatmate's friends coming up to the flat all th etime (they were banned from there by the management but they still came) and they would just take stuff out the fridge etc.. they would do stuff like open an unopened bottle of drink and take some out.. but then you wouldn't want to drink the rest because knowing them they probably hadnt used a glass etc..

rosie

This is highly pertinent... Everyone knows students are all disgusting thieves with a variety of unmentionable diseases!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.