The Student Room Group

Application Processing Time (RAF)

So I have just been advised by the RAF recruitment line that the "5 working days" advice on the website could be more like 4 to 6 weeks!?
Seriously?

Someone tell me he's wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by rhysowen
So I have just been advised by the RAF recruitment line that the "5 working days" advice on the website could be more like 4 to 6 weeks!?
Seriously?

Someone tell me he's wrong?

Why would we know better than the guy actually doing the recruitment? If that's what he's said you can assume it's accurate. Just because you might not like it or it isn't convenient doesn't mean it will be wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Why would we know better than the guy actually doing the recruitment? If that's what he's said you can assume it's accurate. Just because you might not like it or it isn't convenient doesn't mean it will be wrong.

In my experience, timeframes are often exaggerated to allow for the worst case scenario. I was hoping someone who has very recently been through the process could let me know how long before they received the call from their AFCO.
Reply 3
In my experience, timeframes are often exaggerated to allow for the worst case scenario. I was hoping someone who has very recently been through the process could let me know how long before they received the call from their AFCO.

Yeah, but even then it wouldn't mean anything, every application is taken on its own merits and each AFCO has different turn round times.

Maybe try phoning them and say you're in a hurry? /sarcasm

EDIT: Didn't sound as sarcastic as it should have upon re-reading.
(edited 8 years ago)
You can be in as much of a hurry as you like, it won't speed the process up. I applied last October and I aren't going in until September, that's nearly 12 months and trust me I'd have really wanted it to be quicker but these things take as long as they take all you can do is make sure you have everything prepared on your behalf so things run smoothly.
Reply 6
Get used to it - I have yet to see the RAF do anything right and / or on time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yea as much as I'd like to be in Halton by the end of this year, it won't be happening. Will just make sure I do everything I can to keep the process smooth
Reply 8
Yea as much as I'd like to be in Halton by the end of this year, it won't be happening. Will just make sure I do everything I can to keep the process smooth

Just use the extra time to your advantage; get that extra per cent fitter, do that extra bit more research, do all the little things that will make up a good chunk of readiness. Marginal gains it's called. It works.
I think it depends on the position also! I applied online and then was in my AST in about 1/2 weeks (had to resot which was a months wait) and then it's been weekly for each other step got the medical next week. I went for ICT Tech which is a trade they are desperate for.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
Just use the extra time to your advantage; get that extra per cent fitter, do that extra bit more research, do all the little things that will make up a good chunk of readiness. Marginal gains it's called. It works.

Sound advice, thank you :smile:
Hi,

Just waiting on a date for my medical. Only been waiting a week now since ast but was wondering if anyone knew a rough time scale as ive heard capita have a back log at the moment as recruiting numbers are quite high.
Im going for regiment gunner so didnt know if that would take longer or quicker to get sorted?

Any help or advice appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 12
I applied last September, had my AST end of October (it took them about 4 weeks to reply to my application), initial interview was first week of November and they were talking about having me in before christmas, but alas my medical was the end of January (Capita failed me over apparently high blood pressure, had to get 24hr bp monitor) finally got the all clear beginning of May, then had my fitness....got my PRTC September! Start December! So for me it's been a fun 12 months. ;-)
Good luck! lol!
Original post by cypskat
I applied last September, had my AST end of October (it took them about 4 weeks to reply to my application), initial interview was first week of November and they were talking about having me in before christmas, but alas my medical was the end of January (Capita failed me over apparently high blood pressure, had to get 24hr bp monitor) finally got the all clear beginning of May, then had my fitness....got my PRTC September! Start December! So for me it's been a fun 12 months. ;-)
Good luck! lol!

Sounds like that was a painful process mate! lol I got a call 5 days after my application and did my ast the week after. Week after that i had my interview and now im waiting on a medical. So all in all ive only been in the process 3 weeks. Was told il get a date for it by end of next week. I have a feeling capita will be a pain in the ass so ive went to my doctors and got her to put some comments on my file so its set in stone ! lol Just a waiting game really which is annoying as im in a dead end office job and i dont want to be here any longer than i have to.

cheers for the reply
Reply 14
Original post by irishelf1992
Sounds like that was a painful process mate! lol I got a call 5 days after my application and did my ast the week after. Week after that i had my interview and now im waiting on a medical. So all in all ive only been in the process 3 weeks. Was told il get a date for it by end of next week. I have a feeling capita will be a pain in the ass so ive went to my doctors and got her to put some comments on my file so its set in stone ! lol Just a waiting game really which is annoying as im in a dead end office job and i dont want to be here any longer than i have to.

cheers for the reply

I might be wrong, but I don't believe Capita looks at your GP file. They conduct all of their own examinations, unless they find a reason to dig deeper?

Quick Reply

Latest