The Student Room Group

#WhiteLivesMatter is disrespectful and downright childish

So I'm sure you're all aware of the #BlackLivesMatter campaign which aims to raise awareness and condemn the recent police brutality against black people in America. But it has since become something much bigger than just that and now it's a sort of empowerment for the oppressed black minority which has been disenfranchised by the white majority.

A group of white people have childishly decided to create a conflicting hashtag purporting that white people matter too. However I'm disgusted at how antagonistic people who use this hashtag are towards black people.

We don't need to be reminded that white people matter because they're the standard by which the rest of us are judged and compared. We need to empower oppressed groups not white people who are already powerful through white privilege and advantageous positive discrimination at every level.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Saw this on Twitter before last month,the amount of backlash was astonishing
Reply 2
What about #AllLivesMatter?
Reply 3
Or how about #Nobodymatters?
Yeah, white people are victims of police brutality in America too (http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-killed-police/19423).

Like the guy above me said - all lives matter. To frame this as just a black problem is simply unfair, and dismissive of the problems of white victims which are just as bad as those of black victims.
Original post by flibber
What about #AllLivesMatter?

Reply 6
It's just another opportunity for white people to be racist.

Nothing new really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely all lives matter? Just because someone is white, it doesn't mean they can't face discrimination, like white people described as 'chavs'. I know that I, as a white female, will face less discrimination than a black women and I know I'm lucky. I wouldn't use #whitelivesmatter because everyone matters, no matter their skin colour, sexuality, gender identity, political views, etc
Reply 8
Let the racists on both sides kill each other. Then the rest of us normal folk can live in peace.
they're the same people who claim about not having a white history month.....lol
Original post by Danny McCoyne

Actually, my hashtag can be used in the other way too. It can tell white racists that black people are their fellow and equal human beings, rather than belonging to some sub human class.
Original post by horsewithnoname
Surely all lives matter? Just because someone is white, it doesn't mean they can't face discrimination, like white people described as 'chavs'. I know that I, as a white female, will face less discrimination than a black women and I know I'm lucky. I wouldn't use #whitelivesmatter because everyone matters, no matter their skin colour, sexuality, gender identity, political views, etc

Well, yes, all lives matter. But in this context, white British chavs aren't being bumped off by the police at quite the same rate that black Americans are, which is where this campaign/hashtag comes from.
Good to see and I agree with it.

#my white life matters
my reply with a simple reply gets moderated but that of a user who uses words like coon?
Anyway, why isn't this thread in the Society section?
Original post by Charlie1111
I'm not racist, racism is a crime and crime is for black people.

You deleted your post however regardless I will comment on your WHITE propaganda assertion that 'BLACK people sold their own into the trans-atlantic slave trade' which continues to make it very difficult for us to reconstruct the African social systems of mutual trust broken down by WHITE people.

Most of us have accepted this statement as true at its face value. It implies that parents sold their children into slavery to Whites, husbands sold their wives, even brothers and sisters selling each other to the Whites which is preposterous and only shows how white people have attempted to use black people as scape goats once again and we see it time and time again AND even now black people are being scapegoated by white people.

“Africans sold their own people as slaves” is a stock argument White people use when the subject of slavery comes up and it's a derailing tactic used by white people to shift blame and distract the reader.

First, simply as an argument of fact it fails:

Africa was not a country. Africans were not selling “their own”, they were selling their enemies, just as the Greeks and Romans once did. Africa, then as now, was made up of different countries. They were no more selling “their own” than, say, “Europeans” were killing “their own” during the Holocaust.

And it overlooks a few other things:

Most African countries did not sell slaves and some even fought against it. But because Europeans back then could control the supply of guns there was little Africans could do to stop it.

The Transatlantic slave trade was on a much greater scale than anything the Africans or anyone else ever did in the history of slavery. Countries were destroyed and millions died. Over 12 million were sold in less than 400 years, something so huge that it changed the genetic map of the world.

The Transatlantic slave trade was racist. The African slave trade, for all of its other ills, was not that. Neither was the Greek and Roman slave trade. So slavery in places like Haiti, Barbados and America was much more cruel.

Morally speaking your argument that black people sold their own fails as well because it excuses an evil of one’s own past by finding the same sort of evil done by others. Whites sold slaves, but Africans and Arab traders did too! Which, morally speaking, is at the same level as an eight-year-old saying, “He did it too!” when caught doing something bad. We do not accept this argument from eight-year-olds, nor from bank robbers or wife beaters. “Africans did it too!” is no better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Agree completely, OP.

#whitelivesmatter is completely unnecessary as white people are not an oppressed group- and they therefore hold the most societal power. White people already know their lives matter, which is why it is a childish thing to say. #blacklivesmatter is not saying that white lives don't, but #whitelivesmatter is disregarding the struggles and institutionalized racism people of colour experience.

It took me a while to come to the conclusion, but as a white, well-off, able-bodied person I am in a very privileged position. Privilege doesn't need to be an insult- just accept is as a fact and use your privilege to help oppressed groups.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by horsewithnoname

All lives do matter no one is saying otherwise however when a certain group are being killed off by another group based on race we need to focus the spotlight on the oppressed group AND empower them.

I think it's great that you realise that your white privilege puts you ahead of black females but then how are you going to go on to say that a hashtag for black females essentially makes you uncomfortable. A real problem I have found with Western feminism is that it's only dedicated for white women.
Original post by Charlie1111
Hello Mr Angry Black man. You're very cross aren't you? One big stereotype about blacks that I dislike is that they are all good boxers. I have boxed blacks and they were all talentless thugs and I beat everyone of them. In fact while I no longer box, I was undefeated when I did. Probably because I boxed mostly blacks.

You say that but I swear Floyd Mayweather and Elvis were black. And isn't Nicola Adams, black as well? :erm: You're making a fool out of yourself on the internet. You best just log off forever because no one wants to hear you're nonsense views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that all lives matter but #BlackLivesMatter is being used to raise awareness of the reality of police brutality and the treatment of black people in a country that prides itself on being "the land of the free".

Of course white people matter, but #WhiteLivesMatter trivialises the awareness of the oppression of the black community by turning it into some sort of petty competition.

Quick Reply

Latest