The Student Room Group

How to stay calm talking on the phone?

Tomorrow I have to phone someone to arrange some work experience. I have social anxiety and phone calls make me very nervous. I usually get shaky and my heart races and my breathing goes all dodgy so I end up short of breath and messing up what I'm saying.

I'm going to go for a run in the morning, hopefully that will help a little bit.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure if this would help you, but I find I'm fine with public speaking or those sort of phone calls if I have a pen in my hand. Because my hands are occupied, it helps me relax. You could try it? Maybe you could practice what you're going to say before picking up the phone too, and just remember to take deep and slow breaths. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mogwai98
I'm not sure if this would help you, but I find I'm fine with public speaking or those sort of phone calls if I have a pen in my hand. Because my hands are occupied, it helps me relax. You could try it? Maybe you could practice what you're going to say before picking up the phone too, and just remember to take deep and slow breaths. Good luck :smile:

Definitely agree with this, I'm really nervous with things like that, and I think it helps if you do something completely different as well as talking to whoever you are on the phone, have something in your hands, look through a magazine, even walk around outside a bit, if you have a pet, pet them. Just absolutely anything to do that doesn't require much thinking can help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mogwai98

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to write down key details and what to open with, hopefully that should help. And I'll hold a pen whilst on the phone, I'll probably need to write something down anyway. And I'll focus on my breathing. Thanks :smile:
I used to hate answering phone calls because of my anxiety but I've gotten so used to it now. Try walking around while your on the phone it used to help me. Gave me something else to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest