yoyoyo97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Will i cope and how much harder is it and how hard will physics a level be as i am precited B in physics gcse and A* in maths
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yoyoyo97)
Will i cope and how much harder is it and how hard will physics a level be as i am precited B in physics gcse and A* in maths
My daughter got a B at GCSE and an A* at Maths and picked Physics as her fourth AS level at the last minute. She enjoyed it, got a high B at AS, carried on and and is waiting for her A2 results. I wouldn't say that she worked excessively hard and it's been OK -though it has possibly helped that I've given her a bit of help when she's struggled.
youreanutter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
My daughter got a B at GCSE and an A* at Maths and picked Physics as her fourth AS level at the last minute. She enjoyed it, got a high B at AS, carried on and and is waiting for her A2 results. I wouldn't say that she worked excessively hard and it's been OK -though it has possibly helped that I've given her a bit of help when she's struggled.
what exam boards?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by youreanutter)
what exam boards?
Edexcel IGCSE for both Maths and Physics. AQA A for A level Physics.
User1880957
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,
I think you should be fine, I did fairly well in maths and physics (360 science) a few years back at GCSE and have just finished my A2 physics course. I think that if you are proficient at maths at this stage, you'll be able to cope with physics at a level (it's mainly just putting numbers into formulae tbh). I'd strongly advice taking maths as well as physics though at a level, it doesn't help much at AS but at A2 you use things such as natural logs which you will develop through doing maths. If you were struggling with the written content of GCSE physics, I wouldn't worry, it's completely different at A- level, you tend to only focus on a few topics in detail, and a lot of the questions are concept-based as opposed to just theory. Another thing I'd advice is using 'the calculations for a level physics' book, my school gave it to me, but I found it quite handy throughout the year.

I don't know what exam board you'll be doing, but the content is really interesting (imo), you learn some basic stuff in AS (like SNF and electromagnetic repulsive forces) and put them into use at A2 (considering nuclear fusion/ fission etc). I have to say its the only A level I really enjoyed, maths is also very good but physics you learn things that can be carried through to real life situations. BTW I did biology and chemistry as well. They were... Mehh... Okay I suppose.

Oh and buy the CPG guides for physics as well if you decide to do it (I recommend), they are really good at getting to the point!
Hope this helps a bit,
Conor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (541)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (657)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.58%

Watched Threads