This discussion is closed.
Computergeek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Help please, just done AS, think i got around CCD or BCD. I want help choosing an AS subject for my 2nd year, i was thinking biology, but i only got a C in gcse. WOuld i find it hard?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doin biology as an extra AS next year! don't actually know how that helps you, but hey.

speak to ur form tutor/ relevant subject teachers and ask how they feel the course would suit you- it's difficulty etc.

why are you doing an extra subject? are you dropping one of your current ones? apparently some unis prefer you just to concentrate on your original 3- i'm only doing biology because that is my weakness in psychology + i want to improve.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes, u prob would find it hard. But a pass would be easily within reach with a bit of work. Why not try something new? as for myself, i really liked dt, and also did maths (hard) and physics (okish) alevel and chem (ok) as. I wouldnt do more than 3 a2 levels. they're hard work!
rowei
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry too much about what grade you got at GCSE. If you like biology, then go for it! I would imagine there is a lot of factual information to learn, but it's certainly an interesting subject.
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
biology is a lot of work. if u found AS hard, you won't find A2 any easier... on the plus side, biology is a subject that (i find) is very logical and easy to understand, and therefore its more a matter of learning the stuff rather than trying 2 understand it. i have to say that of all my A2s, (bio, chem and math) i found biology the most interesting and the easiest, but that might have been due 2 the terrible teachers teaching the other subjects... lol.
rIcHrD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by tweetsy85
on the plus side, biology is a subject that (i find) is very logical and easy to understand
LOL indeed! Biology, I found was one of the most illogical subjects I did. Everything else (chem, maths & further maths) had a significant amount of logical deductions. Biology was facts, facts and more facts lol. There is little understanding in biology however, compared to the other subjects I mentioned IMO. What really put the nail in biology's illogical coffin was when I saw the word HEDGEROW in the ecology module!
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rIcHrD
What really put the nail in biology's illogical coffin was when I saw the word HEDGEROW in the ecology module!
I have to agree that the whole ecology part of the A-level course was very dull. hederows and all! Have to stress that I have a friend who loves it!! so its all a matter of opinion. (this particular friend went on to do a phd on fungi!!)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.75%
Isolating with family (71)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.6%
Loneliness (104)
9.94%
Financial worries (46)
4.4%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.6%

Watched Threads