The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for MSc confusion

Just bored and looking for possible courses I may be interested in if I do decided to do a masters.

This course says you need a good 2:1 with computing experience (I think my final year project produced in pure object oriented code should be enough plus the other stuff I've already done) however it says if you're an international student you need to have english better than the following and one is grade C english which I do not have.

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/MSc/dms/applications.shtml#fees

However do you think if your a home student it dosn't matter if you don't have a grade C in english?
Reply 1
Ask PQ.
Reply 2
Yeah thanks, apart from a lot of careless spelling mistakes my english isn't too bad, I was predicted a B at GCSE but I was late for the exam and was in a bad panic so virtualy failed one of the papers.

I won't be applying to 2006 anyway if I do at all.
Reply 3
Is this course mathematical in anyway?
Reply 4
shiny
Is this course mathematical in anyway?

Not really, there is networking modules but I understand all the maths I've had to for that on my undergraduate degree, there is also a visulation module but its not too mathematical. The maths involved probably won't be any more advanced than AS maths if that.
Reply 5
amazingtrade
Not really, there is networking modules but I understand all the maths I've had to for that on my undergraduate degree, there is also a visulation module but its not too mathematical. The maths involved probably won't be any more advanced than AS maths if that.

Cool just wondering. My friend did an MSc after doing a softwarey undergraduate course. His MSc course had a compulsory math module which he ended up failing (he hadn't really done any maths for three years and was out of practice) although he passed everything else. Now he has to resit that one module.
Reply 6
Although this module seems quite mathematical

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sis/ext/handbook_pub.cgi?cmd=displayentry&year=2003&pagetype=soc&module=COMP5021M

I have no idea what visualization is though.
Its all pie in the sky at the moment anyway, I may not even get a 2:1.
Reply 7
amazingtrade
Although this module seems quite mathematical

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sis/ext/handbook_pub.cgi?cmd=displayentry&year=2003&pagetype=soc&module=COMP5021M

I have no idea what visualization is though.
Its all pie in the sky at the moment anyway, I may not even get a 2:1.

Hmmm ... some of that stuff could get very mathematical. I don't know whether that is what you would be interested in. I would check with the course organiser before you apply.
Reply 8
Yeah I hate maths with a passion so its probably not ideal, its going to be hard to find somthing respectable with hardly any maths in it though. I would expect a bit maths at any masters level course but not too much.

The other thing I thought of doing is some kind of proessional qualifcation such as Cisco or Microsoft A++.
Reply 9
I don't know why they design courses like that? Hardly any software engineers do any maths anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 10
shiny
I don't know why they design courses like that? Hardly any software engineers do any maths anyway :rolleyes:

Were you being sarcastic or did you mean it? I guess their isn't that much maths but its the logic you need to know, and if you can do maths you can do logic.
Reply 11
amazingtrade
Were you being sarcastic or did you mean it? I guess their isn't that much maths but its the logic you need to know, and if you can do maths you can do logic.

I meant it. I don't understand why they do put so much maths in some Computing courses. The maths = logic thing to me is quite weak.
Reply 12
shiny
I meant it. I don't understand why they do put so much maths in some Computing courses. The maths = logic thing to me is quite weak.

Yeah I suppose that is kind of true, there is no maths on my course apart from the networking modules, ther maths used in programming is just everyday maths you use in most jobs.

So do you think you can have masters level computing degrees with little maths and still be respectable?
Reply 13
amazingtrade
So do you think you can have masters level computing degrees with little maths and still be respectable?

I think that should be the way forward. There should be non-mathy courses available. I think many softwarey employers are more interested in people who have some experience with actually making stuff rather than fiddling around with some trivial maths problems (trivial in that someone has already solved them!).

Certainly that's what my boss last year complained about. They wanted a graduate who had experience designing user interfaces in VC++ but none of the 50+ applicants were suitable!
Reply 14
MCSEs? I've not really seen much about them, I've seen CLAIT but I think thats supposed to be a much more basic qualification like the EDCL.

I just wish there was more decent universities in the North West area! Argh.

Latest

Trending

Trending