The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

Canadian Student - Need Information (Oxbridge)

Hi,

I am a Canadian student seeking a transfer to Oxbridge in the following year. Can anyone outline the nescessary requirements and what is acceptable for admissions? I sought information on their website but no detailed information on requirements.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

You can't transfer into the middle of an Oxbridge degree. You need to start it from scratch. I take it you're undergraduate? Can you tell us what qualifications you have at the moment and we can tell you what they'll assess you on.
Reply 2
not,

I have a 4.0 gpa. Lacking in the community service department, which I intend on focusing on extensively throughout this year. A holder of a pilot liscense and fly on my spare time. Various clubs in highschool and was a honours student in the 97th percentile. Currently, I took the year off, so I will be attending the University of Toronto or McGill in the fall of 2007. I thought I might just do the full year then seek a transfer to Oxbridge or one of our neighbours Ivy League institutions. What is your take?
Reply 3
I understand nothing of the English school system. What are the required tests to get in; the nescessary and elective subjects? Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Politico
Well to be honest I have no idea of the Candadian system put I can give a few pointers

Oxbridge admit students mainly on the basis of an academic interview, which will probably be held in Toronto, New York or Oxford/Cambridge. The questions will be designed to test your ability to think well.
At Oxbridge you apply for a particular subject and study it for 3 years typically, and it is around this subject you'll be interviewed.

Grade wise, those coming from the US are typically admitted on the basis of APs, but most people have the grades to get in, it's the interview which really filters people. Do Canadians also have APs?

A number of extra curriculars is not important in the same way it is for the ivies. They will be assessing you on academic potential alone. So don't worry too much about loading on the responsibilities.

The application takes place through UCAS, this is a system for applying to British universities simultaneously. (see www.ucas.ac.uk). You fill in their form, with your transcript, a reference from a teacher and a personal statement from yourself. For applying to Oxford or Cambridge, you fill in an extra application on top of your UCAS application.

The deadline is Mid October. Interviews are in december, decisions in late december/January. They will give you some condition to get in if they make you an offer, in England it's "get AAA" in our exams, for you it might be get a 4.0 GPA or something. Assuming you pass that condition you start here in October, a year later than you applied.

Oxbridge is fairly hard to get into, typically not quite as hard as the top ivies/stanford.

You can only apply to one or the other, so you'll have to choose Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford has the edge with the international reputation for most people, though Cambridge typically does significantly better in international league tables and is held with marginally higher esteem in the academic community. Oxford is a more of a city in its own right, whilst Cambridge is more of a overpopulated but quaint market town. Other than that, they're very similar. Both are within an hour of London.

Once you've chosen either Oxford or Cambridge, you choose a college to apply, each is made up of about 30, they're basically where you live. You can make an open application if you have no preference (and there's no reason for you to have a big preference) and they will assign you an undersubscribed college.

You should let us know how you get on, and ask any more questions!
Reply 5
The deadline for international applicants wanting to be interviewed in north america is considerably sooner- september sometime, i believe.
Why do you want to transfer (aka start at the beginning of a degree at Oxbridge) and what do you want to study? Surely that should help you narrow down some of your options. Also, McGill and UofT send a good number of graduates to the UK for postgraduate studies, so that's an option for you as well.

Unfortunately you're not going to find many Canadians who applied to Oxbridge for undergrad on this forum. You might be better off trying to find a Canadian alumni chapter from Oxford or Cambridge, or the British Council in your country, to find out specific details.
Reply 7
Thanks alot for the info guys. Well, I want to study political science. Since you cannot transfer, I guess I would have to start the degree over or just wait and do a graduate degree.

Not, thanks for your input. No, I am not familiar with the AP's, however I will continue to do some more research. I will give them a call at some point within the next week and see if I can get some extra information, and hopefully request some packages...
1st year of N American Unis is the same as Year 13 (last year of school) in the UK anyway isnt it (Americans having 4 year degrees i assume canadians too, British generally 3)? So by taking a transfer to 1st year in a British university you wouldnt be wasting a year.

Also,
Politico
Lacking in the community service department, which I intend on focusing on extensively throughout this year
Oxbridge dont really care about extra curriculas. Just academia/interview performance.
Reply 9
Heartbreaker
1st year of N American Unis is the same as Year 13 (last year of school) in the UK anyway isnt it (Americans having 4 year degrees i assume canadians too, British generally 3)? So by taking a transfer to 1st year in a British university you wouldnt be wasting a year.

How can it be? In the UK you start uni when you're 18/19 (typically) and in the US you start when you're 18/19 also.
Americans start school later. (I think)

My Physics teacher (taught in Washington DC for 4 years before coming here) says that they doss about in their last year and do basically no work as they have already done their exams and get unconditional offers, that probably contributes as well.

Shady Lane will obviously know more about this than me though. (Could you clarify if this is true? :smile:)
It's not equivalent to the final year of UK school. Technically I had enough AP scores in my second to final year to qualify for a place in UK university. Offers to Americans are given based on APs, and so if you go to a good school like I did, you may already have 4 AP grades by the time you apply to university. It's just a very different and complicated system because there is no standardized national curriculum in the US. I did APs, but my cousin does a combination of AP and IB, some kids at her school do the full IB diploma, and the majority of Americans do none of these! Very confusing :confused:
To the OP, Oxford is stronger than Cambridge in politics. And if you like political science you should consider an application to LSE--you have six places on the UCAS form and it ranked 2nd in the UK for politics after Oxford (although as an LSE politics student obviously I have a certain bias hehe).
What? Since niether offer straight politics at undergrad, I doubt you can claim anything about which is best. Secondly, it's widely acknowledged that Cambridge is the leader in all the subjects it offers.
Not really...the league tables put Oxford ahead of Cambridge for politics (and LSE is ahead as well). I studied IR and study politics at masters level, there are almost no Cambridge political scientists in the readings at top universities for politics. SPS is also a pretty weird course--I'd take PPE/History and Politics at Oxford or Government at LSE anyday over SPS.
Reply 15
Secondly, it's widely acknowledged that Cambridge is the leader in all the subjects it offers.
er, no...
well since all it takes to negate my statement is for you to disagree i'm not really going to argue that one anymore :wink:
Reply 17
well, when someone's arguing 2+2=5, you don't generally have to go into in depth mathematical analysis to tell them they're wrong. :wink:
Seriously, though, Oxford always has had the better reputation in fields like politics and history. I freely admit that cam is pretty much universally stronger in the sciences- i'd probably have applied there if it wasn't for their stupid compsci course structure- but don't get too ahead of yourself.
cam has the league table edge for history (but then so does durham). my impression was that cam's dominance in history is consensus.
Reply 19
the true fact is that league tables are not really scientific at all, and to read too much into them serves no purpose. The point is that LSE, Ox and Cam are going to give you a good education in politics.

Latest

Latest