The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm in a similar sitaution any advise guys?
Reply 2
what i do is group all the poems i've studied in different ways. for example i've grouped them according to what they're about (recruiting, trenches, death) and also each by author. i've also grouped them according to the way they are written for example the realistic ones, the romanticones and the patriotic ones. you could also group them in terms of imagery, all the nature ones together etc. by doing this it will help you to remember them better when you need to remember your wider reading.
Reply 3
sneezyme
what i do is group all the poems i've studied in different ways. for example i've grouped them according to what they're about (recruiting, trenches, death) and also each by author. i've also grouped them according to the way they are written for example the realistic ones, the romanticones and the patriotic ones. you could also group them in terms of imagery, all the nature ones together etc. by doing this it will help you to remember them better when you need to remember your wider reading.

Yep, I've done that too - how effective it will be is another story, however.
Reply 4
this module is really annoying me... i do essays including loads of wider reading which i think is good at the time yet still i manage to average c/d with the general comment being that im writing too generally! this is so annoying as i don't think im doing it at the time! :frown: :confused:
Reply 5
I have been learning quotes, reading loads and making sure I know lots of examples to illustrate knowledge of how lots of different topics were written about. I've also brushed up on my general poetry analysis skills, lots of literary terms!

On the AQA website, there's a script which got full marks- I thought that was interesting to look at seeing as I need an A too. I like this module best, I hated doing the comparative essay and Blake irritates me.
Reply 6
F. Poste
I have been learning quotes, reading loads and making sure I know lots of examples to illustrate knowledge of how lots of different topics were written about. I've also brushed up on my general poetry analysis skills, lots of literary terms!

On the AQA website, there's a script which got full marks- I thought that was interesting to look at seeing as I need an A too. I like this module best, I hated doing the comparative essay and Blake irritates me.

i totally agree! it sounds like you're doing the same modules as me... blake, othello and war literature?!
iv been told that in my blake essays i don't include enough context... wahts that all about? :confused:
Reply 7
I'm doing The Duchess of Malfi instead of Othello because my teacher hates Shakespeare!

Context basically means background, so you need to write more about how society, political events, Blake's beliefs etc shape the poems. If you go here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/engLiA_not.html

And click where it says this:

AS/A2 English Literature Specification A Newsletter, February 2003

Quite far down the document it has suggestions for what contexts to consider. I hope you find that helpful, because I did.
we are doing Othello which is nice and easy, confident on that one

as for the synoptic on war, i'm struggling, not really sure what to look at and what to learn, i just hope i get lucky with the question
Reply 9
serious stuff
we are doing Othello which is nice and easy, confident on that one

as for the synoptic on war, i'm struggling, not really sure what to look at and what to learn, i just hope i get lucky with the question

The questions so far have been almost the same on every paper and the examiners' report seemed to indicate that they'll stay that way, so be prepared for the two poem comparison one and then another on "how far are the extracts typical of war literature" or however they phrase it.
Reply 10
F. Poste
The questions so far have been almost the same on every paper and the examiners' report seemed to indicate that they'll stay that way, so be prepared for the two poem comparison one and then another on "how far are the extracts typical of war literature" or however they phrase it.

i have been told not to rely on getting 2 poems for question 1(a)... you equally have as much chance on getting a poem and a play, poem and prose etc
F. Poste

yeah thats what we've been told to expect
just wondering how many, and what sort of literature and quotes i should be bringing in from my own wider reading
Reply 12
serious stuff
just wondering how many, and what sort of literature and quotes i should be bringing in from my own wider reading

And me
imasillynarb
And me

is that meant to be funny

get back to your maths forum or something
Reply 14
serious stuff

i plan to gather as many topics i can think of together... ie women, nature, jingoism etc and for each one have one quote and a couple i can talk about generally... however i think i might be being a bit naive here as in reality im not sure how much i can memorise... i haven't even started doing this yet!! :frown:
Reply 15
wibble...
i plan to gather as many topics i can think of together... ie women, nature, jingoism etc and for each one have one quote and a couple i can talk about generally... however i think i might be being a bit naive here as in reality im not sure how much i can memorise... i haven't even started doing this yet!! :frown:

Jingoism LOL
wibble...

i'm in exactly the same boat, haven't started trying to memories, haven't got many notes to look at, i need to get a book out of the library or something.

at the moment i know about 5 poems

Wilfred Owen - mental cases
Tennyson - charge of the light brigade
Gurney - To England - A Note
Asqwith - the volunteer
Brooke - Peace

think i better get some more reading done...
Reply 17
imasillynarb
Jingoism LOL

what's so funny? :confused:
Reply 18
serious stuff
i'm in exactly the same boat, haven't started trying to memories, haven't got many notes to look at, i need to get a book out of the library or something.

at the moment i know about 5 poems

Wilfred Owen - mental cases
Tennyson - charge of the light brigade
Gurney - To England - A Note
Asqwith - the volunteer
Brooke - Peace

think i better get some more reading done...

i plan to spend a day concentrating solidly on collecting everything together... im finding it so hard to find the time though with my other exams! :frown:
wibble...
i plan to spend a day concentrating solidly on collecting everything together... im finding it so hard to find the time though with my other exams! :frown:

what other subjects do you do?

obviously the 3 hour synoptic exam will be a bit of a bitch

the only other subject i do is film studies

finished with sociology after AS so really i have no excuse not to learn loads of stuff for English

Latest

Trending

Trending