Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lit synoptic unit - War Literature watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious stuff)
    what other subjects do you do?

obviously the 3 hour synoptic exam will be a bit of a *****

the only other subject i do is film studies

finished with sociology after AS so really i have no excuse not to learn loads of stuff for English
    I'm doing maths and law as well which is using up a lot of my time! I'm doing the most revision in maths... mainly bcuz its my weakest but this means that iv neglected my others... im really starting to panic about it all cuz i know its almost impossible to cram what i need to! ah well thats life...

ReputationRep:
    The 3 hour exam really isn't that bad.. you'd think it'd be hell but it's not really. I did a mock and got a good grade in it so I'm pretty happy with the unit overall.

ReputationRep:
    good luck to you all anyway

doing Maths AND english must be well hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    The 3 hour exam really isn't that bad.. you'd think it'd be hell but it's not really. I did a mock and got a good grade in it so I'm pretty happy with the unit overall.
    when i did my mock i found that i spend WAY too long analysing but when i try and cut down on this i find i miss important points! How are you guys planning your time/ essays?
    What iv been trying to do is:

1 hour = anaysing
    1 hour = 1(a)
    1 hour = 1 (b)

but in reality this never seems to work!

(to f. poste) im assuming youv taken this exam already... did you find you burn having to do such an intense exam in 3 hours? i think i will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibble...)
    when i did my mock i found that i spend WAY too long analysing but when i try and cut down on this i find i miss important points! How are you guys planning your time/ essays?
    What iv been trying to do is:

1 hour = anaysing
    1 hour = 1(a)
    1 hour = 1 (b)

but in reality this never seems to work!

(to f. poste) im assuming youv taken this exam already... did you find you burn having to do such an intense exam in 3 hours? i think i will
    I haven't actually sat it, but I have done lots of prep and overly long exam sessions! I haven't found that I get burned out, but I take little breaks when I'm in long exams- nothing major, just a minute or so to stretch out my writing hand and take some deep breaths and calm my mind. I think the minutes lost are worth it because it means my hand can take more writing and my brain works better because it hasn't had to think for 180 minutes at once!

I don't time my analysing, really, but I'm certain that I do much less than you do! Unless you have difficulty analysing, I'd recommend that you work on scaling that time down as you said that it doesn't work very well for you. I only do 30 minutes of that max, I think- but then I'm a fairly quick analyser and quite a slow writer.

ReputationRep:
    i find that 3 hrs isn't enough sometimes-i know it sound mad but i always seem to rush the last question (1b) so maybe its a better idea to do that one first and then do 1a because 1a requires closer analysis. my teachers told us not to learn quotes for this exam as you don't need to, you only have to quote from the two that you are meant to analyse in 1a. she thinks we should instead just have in our minds ur wider reading, something for each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    i find that 3 hrs isn't enough sometimes-i know it sound mad but i always seem to rush the last question (1b) so maybe its a better idea to do that one first and then do 1a because 1a requires closer analysis. my teachers told us not to learn quotes for this exam as you don't need to, you only have to quote from the two that you are meant to analyse in 1a. she thinks we should instead just have in our minds ur wider reading, something for each.
    my teacher told us that we should quote from wider reading to get an A but only for 1(b), if you use wider reading in 1(a) you're not going to get any marks for it as its not in the criteria...

ReputationRep:
    ok this is related slightly lol
    i read birdsong as part as my prep but it was a lent copy!
    can anybody give me any decent quotes from it, and remind me of the story, it was that long ago that i read it!

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm re-reading birdsong now, well only the france bits. when i pass by some useful quotes i'll post them on here. why don't we turn this into a thread wheer everyone posts on some quotes and ideas to help each other out, that way perhaps we can all feel a bit more confident about this paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    hey i'm re-reading birdsong now, well only the france bits. when i pass by some useful quotes i'll post them on here. why don't we turn this into a thread wheer everyone posts on some quotes and ideas to help each other out, that way perhaps we can all feel a bit more confident about this paper!
    Really like that idea I've just started trying to collect and categorise my quotes in one place so I'll post up as much as poss when it's done.

ReputationRep:
    im reading "strange meeting" by susan hill at the moment... does anyone know why hilliard hates the smell of roses? it probably says further on but im finding it a bit confusing... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ok found one from 'birdsong' stephen says, 'No one in England knows what this is like. If they could see the way these men live, they would not believe their eyes. This is not a war, this is an exploration of how far men can be degraded.' (p.150)
    hope it helps!
    p/s- i don't know sorry wibble, i haven't read 'Strange Meeting' cos' i can't get hold of a copy anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibble...)
    im reading "strange meeting" by susan hill at the moment... does anyone know why hilliard hates the smell of roses? it probably says further on but im finding it a bit confusing... :confused:
    Possibly because it's too nice, too sweet. He's used to the horrible smell from the trenches and the smell of the roses contrasts so vividly to what he's used to, that it makes him realise the huge difference between his nice normal life at home and the horrors of war. Perhaps!?

ReputationRep:
    thats a good one! the only one from birdsong i can think of off the top of my head is when its in the midst of a battle and stephen shouts "get that man's blood off me!" it shows how much he has changed from the rational thinker we saw earlier on and also the horror, choas and gore of the war (men being blown to pieces around you)... any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys keep bird song quote coming!

been working on testament of youth heres are some quote if your interested!

"Tennis is now like Nero fiddling while Rome was burning"

Brittains VAD experience- "Beneath each stinking wod of sodden wool and gauze an obscene horror waited for me." " regular baptism of blood and pus"

"'when' not 'if'" Roland would return (optimism)

"God, king and country.that voracious trio had already deprived me of all i valued most in life." (loss of optimism)

"saturated with war"

"permanent state of disillusion"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali*117)

"Tennis is now like Nero fiddling while Rome was burning"
    what does this one mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Erm...I'll try to contribute to a quotation bank.....

The theme of war being like a game is presented in much of the earlier jingoistic poetry, e.g. Jessie Pope: 'Who's For The Game': "Red crashing game of a fight", Henry Newbolt 'Vitai Lampada': "Match to win". The later poetry contrasts this, where many of the poets, after having first hand experience of war, contradicted this idea, e.g. Wilfred Owen 'Disabled', the troops returned but were not cheered "as crowds cheer goal".

This is just a random comment which has probably helped me more than you! I think the war lit exam is really hard. We had to do it in January, which was pathetic, and I only got a C on it, so I'm retaking.

ReputationRep:
    thanx for those!
    can anybody help me with this poem please?

THE FIELDS OF FLANDERS-EDITH NESBIT

Last year the fields were all glad and gay
    With silver daisies and silver may;
    There were kingcups gold by the river's edge
    And primrose starts under every hedge.

This year the fields are trampled and brown,
    The hedges are broken and beaten down,
    And where the primroses used to grow
    Are little black roses set in a row.

And the flower of hopes, and the flowers of dreams,
    The noble, fruitful, beautiful schemes,
    The tree of life with its fruit and bud,
    Are trampled down in the mud and the blood.

The changing seasons will bring again
    The magic of Spring to our wood and plain:
    Tough the Spring be so green as never was seen
    The crosses will still be black in the green.

The God of battles shall judge the foe
    Who trampled our country and laid her low....
    God! hold our hands on the reckoning day,
    Lest all we owe them we should repay.

so far, i've put down that she starts off with a romantic view, but then the poem starts to get realistic, 'Are trampled down in the mud and the blood' But I'm not sure if the poem is anti-war overall or not, as the last two lines of the poem confuse me. Can anyone explain them please?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've got some more Birdsong quotes, this is what Stephen thinks to himself:

'It was not his death that mattered; it was the way the world had been dislocated. It was not all the tens of thousands of deaths that mattered, it was the way they had proved that you could be human, yet act in a way that was beyond nature.' (p234)

Also Ellis, the one who shares a bunk with Stephen has a patriotic attitude, he says to Stephen and Weir,

'I think you have a long way to go before you can call yourself a proper Christian.'

when they express their disgust for the war, and say that they are not fighting for their country, but for those who have died in the war so far.

ReputationRep:
    if it'll help ive got loadsa info on birdsong...like individual characters and other stuff...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.