Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lit synoptic unit - War Literature watch

ReputationRep:
    i hope you're right cuz i won't be able to remember that much!

what do people think is the most sensible thing for me to do after very little revision- go to bed early-ish and keep my fingers crossed, or stay up v. v late- (in fact until after tomorrows exam!) and attempt to get some much-needed revision in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcpoopoo)
    i hope you're right cuz i won't be able to remember that much!

what do people think is the most sensible thing for me to do after very little revision- go to bed early-ish and keep my fingers crossed, or stay up v. v late- (in fact until after tomorrows exam!) and attempt to get some much-needed revision in?
    I plan to stay up till about 10ish 2night and get up at about 6 2morro morning! Nothing I'm learning at the moment seems to be sinking in... iv got that annoying britney spears song in my head at the mo which makes it even worse! I really do hope i find tomorros exam ok... i have an awful feeling that il get in there and they'l have some obscure extracts which relates to no wider reading iv done! PANTS!! :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibble...)
    I plan to stay up till about 10ish 2night and get up at about 6 2morro morning! Nothing I'm learning at the moment seems to be sinking in... iv got that annoying britney spears song in my head at the mo which makes it even worse! I really do hope i find tomorros exam ok... i have an awful feeling that il get in there and they'l have some obscure extracts which relates to no wider reading iv done! PANTS!! :confused: :eek:
    ha ha- i actually like britney spears, don't ask me why, it's a weird teenage girl thing (don't worry i am one i'm not just a perv!)

at least you've done some wider reading! all i've read is this pack our teacher gave us- it had loads of poems and then quite a few prose extracts eg testament of youth, shakespeare, ghost road, etc- do you think it'll be enough?

ReputationRep:
    ha ha- i actually like britney spears, don't ask me why, it's a weird teenage girl thing (don't worry i am one i'm not just a perv!)

at least you've done some wider reading! all i've read is this pack our teacher gave us- it had loads of poems and then quite a few prose extracts eg testament of youth, shakespeare, ghost road, etc- do you think it'll be enough?
    yea it sounds plenty... wish my teacher did that for us!

ReputationRep:
    yea it sounds plenty... wish my teacher did that for us!
    i know she's pretty good- she makes these crazy 'packs' for everything!
    a shame i haven't really done much with it- its ok though cuz i'm taking a gap year and can retake it in jan if needed.
    what have you been reading?

ReputationRep:
    i know she's pretty good- she makes these crazy 'packs' for everything!
    a shame i haven't really done much with it- its ok though cuz i'm taking a gap year and can retake it in jan if needed.
    what have you been reading?
    ha ha thats kinda my frame of mind as well (although id rather not have to retake given the choice)
    Iv been trying to read a selection of poems, iv read jouney's end, strange meeting, birdsong, testament of youth... ermm think thats about it... I'm sure its not enough though what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (hee hee look at my cra zy new avatar!)

ReputationRep:
    ive done brainstorms on different themes,.with all the poems that reflect that theme

e.g. death - poems that see it as glorious
    - poems that dont

Criticisms of authority

Masculinity/sexuality

Class - black adder's a great one for that

etc

ive also done a Language/Form/Structure one, and ive written the authors name and his typical style and how that style represents his typical attitude

e.g. ive written that Owen uses half rhyme which form a broken nature of the poem which reflect his bitter views towards war, and the unnatureleness of it etc.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to stay up till about 10ish 2night and get up at about 6 2morro morning! Nothing I'm learning at the moment seems to be sinking in [...] I really do hope i find tomorros exam ok... i have an awful feeling that il get in there and they'l have some obscure extracts which relates to no wider reading iv done! PANTS!! :confused: :eek:

You're exactly like me!!! ive thought the exact same things

arghhhh

ReputationRep:
    do you all do those tables for each question???

to plan out your answer?

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. by the sound of it i haven't done enough then... sparkilzz how much and what wider reading have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparklLZz)
    do you all do those tables for each question???

to plan out your answer?
    no im not going to do a table cuz iv found it takes too much time... i think im just going to analysis everything all over the question booklet and hope for the best what do you do?

ReputationRep:

ive also done a Language/Form/Structure one, and ive written the authors name and his typical style and how that style represents his typical attitude

e.g. ive written that Owen uses half rhyme which form a broken nature of the poem which reflect his bitter views towards war, and the unnatureleness of it etc.
    ah!
    what other stuff have you put on it? i really need to work on that

ReputationRep:
    Class - black adder's a great one for that
    SparklLZz - could you possibly give me some quotes/points from Blackadder about class? I haven't had the chance to read it and I'm really lacking in this area. Happy to rep if you can help Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads about class:

Blackadders comments on Baldrick are showing how he is lower class :

"Your brain is so minute Baldrick"

"Tally Ho, Pip Pip and Bernards your uncle!" - a quote from George - the stupid upperclass person

Then General Melchett : the stupid one running the war

him :"a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory"

blackadder :It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

ReputationRep:
    ok this is a really stupid question i know... im confusing myself... vitia lampada (probably spelt that wrong) is it pro or anti war and why?

ReputationRep:
    ok this is a really stupid question i know... im confusing myself... vitia lampada (probably spelt that wrong) is it pro or anti war and why?

i find hat confusing too.. so the only time i blabber about it is when im talking about how people associated war to a game (in this case, cricket)

ReputationRep:
    I believe that it's neither, really- the over-riding impression, to me, is that "one must keep up a spiffing attitude at all times. Play the game, chaps!". Even though war is pretty tough sometimes you've just gotta keep going because it's your duty.

I didn't go back and look at it but that's what I thought

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    ah!
    what other stuff have you put on it? i really need to work on that

Graves' use of vivid imagery, use of nature imagery to depict the destruction of nature
    Viera Brittain letter, i forgotten what it's called, she also uses vivid imagery for stark realistic decriptions - "strong smell", "smell f death", detaled description of the clothes and smell of them, and the bullet wounds shown through the clothes

Also because she's a woman, you can say that she uses detailed description/adjective techniques because she did not fight at war or experience what male soldier's/male trench poets experienced (however i think she had some involvement in the war) - which might explain how she can so vividly imagine how the soldier (her fiance) must have fallen, or how the doctor/soldiers had ripped through his shirt to fix his wounds...
    umm..

Ive talked about Propganda - Pro War - jessie pope "the call" and Jessie pope "who's for the game"

and ive put in "The Volunteer" by Robert Service - "i'll have no peace unless i go" - or something is the quote... basically talking about how he's forcing himself to fulfil his "duty" of going to war because of Propoganda which fuels society's ideology. "i know you'll think im a fool" (sorry i dont know the quotes off by heart) - but that shows how he doesnt agree to it, but he's doing it because he HAS to.
    also he says "Sez I: My Country calls? Well, let it call." - okay so you can see how he DOESNT WANT TO go at the start and how towards the end he goes because HE HAS TO "A fool, you say! Maybe you're right.
    I'll 'ave no peace unless I fight."
    Also notice "sez i" - Highlighting Class? - working class were forced to go?

In the class bit ive also added in poets who highlight a particular class e.g. Jessie Pope "laddie" - strong use of dialect illuminates a particular class, e.g. in Blackadder, baldrick's cockney accent - stick it in when you're talking about hierarchy in war.

Stupidity and Blunders of war - Regeneration (Pat Barker) Sarah says "it was our own gas" - talking about when her boyfriend was killed in the battle of Loos when the wind changed and the soldiers were killd by their owen gas - highlighting the stupid methods of attack which were poorly planned etc. - also a criticism of the authorities at war.

- another would be in Blackadder where George says "wouldnt want to face a machine gun without this!!" - cynical comment towards the lack of proper weapons at war, illuminating the stupidity and blunders of authority/war methods. (he's holding a small pistol, or stick or something when he says that... cant rememeber)

- another would be the extract from Journey's end when the lietenant is talking about the men being killed by their own gas, he says something like "well mishaps happen, who knew the gas was going to change?"

that's all i can think of right now from the top of ym head... i hope that's sufficient because i feel like CRAP. im so scared

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody for all your help and contribution to this thread. I'm about to look over some final notes and then go to bed and get some sleep for tomorrow, but I just wanted to wish you all tons and tons of luck for the exam! You all seem set to do brilliantly, and fingers crossed we'll all get the grades we want or need.

Good luck guys, and thanks again!

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.