The Student Room Group

Where do i start, when planning a solo backpacking adventure?

I know my destination, prague, bratislava, budapest. I have minimal travelling experience and i'm kind of throwing myself in the deep end. Has anyone got experience backpacking solo, that they can give me some advice?

I don't even know where to start. I've been told not to plan too much coz i'll meet people and i'll end up tagging along with them.
what advice do you need? honestly theres no way of knowing who you'll meet, depends on the hostels youre going to, some I've been to have been so helpful to meeting others where others have been ****e, so I guess have a look at hostel reviews for your destination !
Reply 2
when are you heading out? I was thinking of doing some solo travelling around europe from the 1st september (ish), if you feel like you're throwing yourself in the deep end (i do too), could link up for a little while as like a warm-up for the solo experience, then cut off our separate ways?

holla if interested, was gonna do a post looking to see if any randoms wanted to start out a (to be) solo travel together anyway, good way to get the ball rolling and get in the mode
if you know what sights you wanna see then i'd try and plan an order you want to see them in and then you can look up hostels that are nearby. If you're not sure what you want to see try look up some itineraries online to get an idea? Of course there will be a chance to tag along with other backpackers if you wish but the whole point of solo travel is to do what YOU want so just write down all the places you want to visit, do some research and plan your itinerary :smile:
Original post by Chakeel
when are you heading out? I was thinking of doing some solo travelling around europe from the 1st september (ish), if you feel like you're throwing yourself in the deep end (i do too), could link up for a little while as like a warm-up for the solo experience, then cut off our separate ways?

holla if interested, was gonna do a post looking to see if any randoms wanted to start out a (to be) solo travel together anyway, good way to get the ball rolling and get in the mode

I'll be heading out a little earlier, 15th August is my leave date and that's pretty much the only thing I've decided upon so far, no locations, travel ideas (Eurail is looking quite likely) or anything really yet
Reply 5
I always travel alone, I tend to spend most days alone doing what I want then chill out/go out with folk from the hostel in the evening. For me that's best of both worlds. I would plan a bit, you want to make sure you don't miss stuff you'd have loved cause you spent all your time drifting around with others. You also don't want to be too dependent on others, some days there'll not really be anyone about to do stuff with and you want to be able to still enjoy your day.

Book hostels through hostel world or hostel booker, they cover most and even if you just do it the evening before, it makes life much better if you know you have somewhere to sleep when you arrive. But if you can book sooner, in a lot of cities the decent ones sell out, especially at the weekend.

Not sure what else to tell you but ask any specific questions
This is the best backpacker blog out there, although that guy only goes to America and Asia, but may be of help anyway. https://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

Latest