username968420
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This question may seem silly, because Essex is a much higher ranked uni than greenwich so you may think its obvious to say Essex but my situation is a bit different.
I've studied 2 years already at BCU doing Economics and Finance, and absolutely hated it. I am transferring to uni back to London (where i live and will commute to uni). Greeniwhich has accepted me for Economics bsc THIRD year entry and Essex has accepted me for Economics with maths bsc SECOND year entry.

So basically:

- Essex is a better uni (34), and they've offered me maths, but i'll have to do another year of university and its so much further for me to travel (1.5 hours and i do not want to live out)

- Greenwich is a worse uni (107) but this is for third year entry and its much closer to home (45 mins)...

What should I do? Has anybody else retaken a university year to transfer? Where have people transferred uni?

Thanks would appreciate any advice
Jdarji
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hii i honestly think greenwich is not a bad uni yes it is ranked quite low but the standard of studying js quite good tbh. Well i am doing a different course but from what i experienced last year generally the level of teaching was good and if greenwich is closer for you i would suggest you go to greenwich not only the fact that its closer maybe you would like it and also you will have more time to study and spend time on your work and if you went essex you might not get as much as time to focus on your work at the end of the day you will gain the grade you would want hope thos helps
username968420
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help, I am still undecided.. Do you think that an employer would prefer it if i graduated from essex rather than greeniwich as its a better uni?
Jdarji
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It actually depends yes you have got a point but you would find a job but it will all depend on how long it takes and what the employability in your field is like at the time when you apply you could go Essex or Greenwich uni and still be waiting for job not saying that will happen but it just depends. Yes they could consider Essex because its a better uni that's a factor but then wouldn't they look at the persons reputation like what you've achieved. Truly speaking where is your mind saying where do you want to go ?
username968420
Rep:
?
I want to just finish the year but it puts me down that Greenwich is so low on the ranking and I'm worried that in a few years I might look back and regret not doing another year at Essex
jido
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will finish uni and get a job one year earlier with Greenwich isn't it? One year less of fees too.

I visited the campus and I really liked it, plus it is closer for London. Rankings change over time.
username968420
Rep:
?
(Original post by jido)
You will finish uni and get a job one year earlier with Greenwich isn't it? One year less of fees too.

I visited the campus and I really liked it, plus it is closer for London. Rankings change over time.
Yes I will finish one year earlier with Greenwich. However Greenwich is Economics BSC whereas Essex is Economics with Maths BSC. I suppose it doesn't really matter as they're both economics? What do you think
Jdarji
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yhh exactly it doesnt really matter if anything there will only be 1 or 2 things that will be different but there wont be a major difference and plus like you said its one year less soo thats a big advantage for you and you could save on fees in that way and i honestly do think that economics is a growing section so there will be plenty of opportunities for you out there
SophiMarten
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't study economics at Greenwich so it's hard to comment on the course. However I will comment on the business school where I've had loads of friends graduate from, it's really top notch. The overall university rank is not the best thing to judge an individual programme or faculty by. You're probably more likely to be swayed by the one less year of fees but Greenwich is solid for business courses.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes but Essex is and always has been a well respected university. It may be worth studying one extra year in order to graduate from a more respected university with the title "Economics with Maths" rather than a degree from Greenwich in "economics"? I would've thought a degree from Essex would hold more value than Greenwich?
cacra
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Getting a job with a degree in economics is very competitive, although potentially very lucrative.

The question you have to ask yourself, the question I would be asking myself is this 'when I go to my job interview and a guy is sitting opposite me with a degree from Essex/GW, who is more likely to get the job?'

The answer is very clear to me, GW is a very below par university imo, Essex is not. (I'm not commenting on the business schools, perhaps they are different.)

I'm not sure Economics with Maths is inherently better than Economics though. I, for example, am doing an Economics degree and there is more maths modules in it then in some Economics and Maths degrees I have seen.

If I was you, I'd check out the graduate prospects and base my decision on that.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I definitely agree with you. Economics is a very good degree and should be done at a respected university. There's no point graduating from a university which is not as respected as others. I am certain employers will look at where you graduated from and will take it into consideration. In relation to Greenwich, it is "ok" for economics and it is also a BSC degree, however, overall they are pretty poor and have always been bottom of the ranking. On the other hand, Essex is known for economics courses and is well respected and is always high on the ranking. It should be concluded that Greenwich university used to be a polytechnic whereas Essex has been established since 1965.
stan_95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Essex no doubt.
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username968420)
This question may seem silly, because Essex is a much higher ranked uni than greenwich so you may think its obvious to say Essex but my situation is a bit different.
I've studied 2 years already at BCU doing Economics and Finance, and absolutely hated it. I am transferring to uni back to London (where i live and will commute to uni). Greeniwhich has accepted me for Economics bsc THIRD year entry and Essex has accepted me for Economics with maths bsc SECOND year entry.

So basically:

- Essex is a better uni (34), and they've offered me maths, but i'll have to do another year of university and its so much further for me to travel (1.5 hours and i do not want to live out)

- Greenwich is a worse uni (107) but this is for third year entry and its much closer to home (45 mins)...

What should I do? Has anybody else retaken a university year to transfer? Where have people transferred uni?

Thanks would appreciate any advice
Hi @username968420,

There are many factors to consider when making your University choice, and raking is just one of those factors. You're going to spend the next one or two years of your life at University so make sure it's the right decision for you.
Have you visited both campuses? How were the facilities? Do you think you will feel comfortable there?
Did you speak to any lecturers? Do you like the course content, have you had a look at the modules on offer?
Are the other students satisfied? Are there good career prospects and employ ability services?
Are there any societies you want to join or extra-curricular activities you want to get involved in?
Are there good support services - well-being, mental health and study support?
Do you think you can be successful there, and achieve a good degree?

You may have seen in the recent Guardian University league table the University of Greenwich has climbed 10 places since last year, as we continue to develop and improve all areas of our University.

We're also very proud of our recent National Student Survey results, which saw our overall satisfaction score increase to 82.2% (which puts us in 4th place for London).

Hope that helps, and good luck with making your choice

Tara
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.95%
Pop (192)