The Student Room Group

More info about these A-levels please

I'm quite interested in doing Psychology and Philosophy for A-Level but I need a bit more information about them, so I decided to come here and ask.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.
Original post by Rogue Thumb
I'm quite interested in doing Psychology and Philosophy for A-Level but I need a bit more information about them, so I decided to come here and ask.

I'm afraid it depends on the exam boards for Psychology. Do you know which ones you'll be doing?

Many refer to RS as Philosophy - are you? What boards?
I myself don't do either of these A-levels but I have several friends who do, It does depend on the exam board and also what the teaching is like at your college or sixth form. But for the AQA exam board in psychology there are a lot of case studies to remember and refer to and if you don't like this side of the course then it may result in you not liking the course overall- probably best to look them up. One of my friends did philosophy and ethics and she found it simple enough and interesting- you need to be relatively good at essays and arguments but that can be learnt with practice. Don't forget to consider if you are going to uni and what you'd want to study as some uni's don't consider these to be as good as the traditional courses like biology and history for example. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ivybridge
Many refer to RS as Philosophy - are you? What boards?

AQA
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
I'm afraid it depends on the exam boards for Psychology. Do you know which ones you'll be doing?

AQA

I've just finished a level psych on AQA. The spec has changed but there are similar things in both specs. You learn a lot of studies, and theories. Topics include memory - Loftus, Multi Store Model, attachment - Ainsworth, Bowlby. You also do a bit about mental disorders including schizophrenia which personally I found really interesting. You can find the spec on the AQA website, look at a few theories/studies you come across to see if it interests you.

You also have to be able to construct evaluative points, and long essays; as well as a topic called research methods. This is how you conduct a study and the issues around it, it is pretty dull but it's needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest