This discussion is closed.
Stephen
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on the
venue itself?
Manager
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Stephen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on[/q1]
[q1]> the venue itself?[/q1]

Chicken and egg question. Entry standards are partly a rationing device and partly create the ethos.
Many of the "best" institutions started by setting high standards which made them popular, they were
then able to restrict entry based on academic standards which then made it easier to achieve high
standards.
David Lane
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I make admissions offer for a business degree at a university. Currently we're all awaiting the
outcome of the new UCAS points system.

I agree that a consistent offer would be sensible. However, there are a number of universities -
Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and others who would be massively over-subscribed. Also, a large number
(maybe Luton, Derby, Lincoln etc. who would undershoot).

Good idea - but it will never occur. If I have the entry grades and a choice of Durham or the
University of Central Lancashire guess where I'd go!

Regards

David

Watch the SPAM trap: Peel my 'SPUD' to reply "manager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Stephen <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on[/q2]
[q2]> > the venue itself?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Chicken and egg question. Entry standards are partly a rationing device[/q1]
and
[q1]> partly create the ethos. Many of the "best" institutions started by[/q1]
setting
[q1]> high standards which made them popular, they were then able to restrict entry based on academic[/q1]
[q1]> standards which then made it easier to achieve[/q1]
high
[q1]> standards.[/q1]
Zartasha
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Entry standards should be consistant. If too many people want to go to many people want to go to one place only then entry standards should be made higher. I've applied to a college and I don't know whether I got in as yet.I hope I did but I am not sure.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (48)
41.74%
Take exams next summer (23)
20%
Change uni choice through clearing (29)
25.22%
Apply to uni next year instead (12)
10.43%
I'm not applying to university (3)
2.61%

Watched Threads