Turn on thread page Beta

Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on the
    venue itself?

Stephen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on[/q1]
    [q1]> the venue itself?[/q1]

Chicken and egg question. Entry standards are partly a rationing device and partly create the ethos.
    Many of the "best" institutions started by setting high standards which made them popular, they were
    then able to restrict entry based on academic standards which then made it easier to achieve high
    standards.

I make admissions offer for a business degree at a university. Currently we're all awaiting the
    outcome of the new UCAS points system.

I agree that a consistent offer would be sensible. However, there are a number of universities -
    Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and others who would be massively over-subscribed. Also, a large number
    (maybe Luton, Derby, Lincoln etc. who would undershoot).

Good idea - but it will never occur. If I have the entry grades and a choice of Durham or the
    University of Central Lancashire guess where I'd go!

Regards

David

Watch the SPAM trap: Peel my 'SPUD' to reply "manager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Stephen <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Should entry standards to Further/Higher education across the UK be consistent, or dependant on[/q2]
    [q2]> > the venue itself?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Chicken and egg question. Entry standards are partly a rationing device[/q1]
    and
    [q1]> partly create the ethos. Many of the "best" institutions started by[/q1]
    setting
    [q1]> high standards which made them popular, they were then able to restrict entry based on academic[/q1]
    [q1]> standards which then made it easier to achieve[/q1]
    high
    [q1]> standards.[/q1]

Entry standards should be consistant. If too many people want to go to many people want to go to one place only then entry standards should be made higher. I've applied to a college and I don't know whether I got in as yet.I hope I did but I am not sure.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.