Chemistry Coursework nuffield - can someone check plz? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Robinb
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
As part of the cousework - we have been asked to create our own concentrations with hydrocloric acid and react with Magnesium (gar produced). I just want to check these workings: and can someone tell me if I an correct or incorrect:

Lets say I have 1M HCL
I ahve a 200ml volumetric flask

To create 0.2M - I would split the 200 by 10 parts - 2 parts of HCL - the other 8 parts of Pure Water

Each part in this case would be 20ml - a pittette would do that.

For 0.4, it would be 4 parts acid, 6 parts pure water

for 0.6M 6 parts acid, 4 parts water

0.8M 8 parts acid 2 parts Water.

and 1M it would be silly to use pure water

If one or two people could comferm my workings, that would be great.

Cheers.

Robinb

one other thing - the glass syniges - they often get stuck and reck the results (as one person found out when the stopper of the experiment went out the window at high velocity as of a gas pressure buildup). Is there any way to make these less stiff, or is there another apperatous to use?

thanks you very much

Robinb
bad gal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Robinb)
As part of the cousework - we have been asked to create our own concentrations with hydrocloric acid and react with Magnesium (gar produced). I just want to check these workings: and can someone tell me if I an correct or incorrect:

Lets say I have 1M HCL

To create 0.2M - I would split the 200 by 10 parts - 2 parts of HCL - the other 8 parts of Pure Water

Cheers.

Robinb

one other thing - the glass syniges - they often get stuck and reck the results (as one person found out when the stopper of the experiment went out the window at high velocity as of a gas pressure buildup). Is there any way to make these less stiff, or is there another apperatous to use?

thanks you very much

Robinb
bad gal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Robinb)

Lets say I have 1M HCL

Cheers.

Robinb

thanks you very much

Robinb
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Congratulations - you've found the reply button.

Your next lesson is to press Alt and F4 at the same time
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
27.97%
No (569)
72.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise