What should I read next?

Watch
MayaFly7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not too fussed about the genre but I must care about the characters. The last three books I read were 'Who is Tom Ditto', 'Perfect Ruin' and 'The Year of the Rat'. I don't really like fantasy (although I do like a lot of dystopian novels) and although I do like some 'classic' literature, I prefer to keep to what I have to read at Uni.

Any suggestions would be great!
FionaLM
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am not sure whether you'll find my recommendations useful, as I myself am very picky with what I like to read and the particular genres that interest me.
I have recently read 'The Children Act' by Ian McEwan, which is a lovely story about a judge who is asked to make a difficult decision about a 17-year old boy's life. Have a look at a summary online, it is a captivating story and you'll probably finish the book in 1-2 days as I did!
You said you liked dystopian stories..,have you read '1984' by George Orwell yet? If not, definitely do it..it is an amazing story written around 1948; yet it addresses topics and issues that still very much present today, i.e. surveillance and transparency.

Other authors that I find a good choice when uncertain as to what to read next are John Grisham and Ken Follett.

Do you think, you could be interested in any of these?
Thisguy11
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The BIBLE
then the QURAN

XDXD
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Another vote for 1984, catch 22 is also woth a look.
MayaFly7
Rep:
?
(Original post by FionaLM)
I am not sure whether you'll find my recommendations useful, as I myself am very picky with what I like to read and the particular genres that interest me.
I have recently read 'The Children Act' by Ian McEwan, which is a lovely story about a judge who is asked to make a difficult decision about a 17-year old boy's life. Have a look at a summary online, it is a captivating story and you'll probably finish the book in 1-2 days as I did!
You said you liked dystopian stories..,have you read '1984' by George Orwell yet? If not, definitely do it..it is an amazing story written around 1948; yet it addresses topics and issues that still very much present today, i.e. surveillance and transparency.

Other authors that I find a good choice when uncertain as to what to read next are John Grisham and Ken Follett.

Do you think, you could be interested in any of these?
Hi, thanks for the recommendations! I've read '1984' and I agree with you - the issues are still relevant nowadays! I read 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan for my A Level Literature coursework and I love his style of writing so a I think I will check out his other novels. I am familiar with Grisham although not Follett but I might check their stuff out. What are you reading at the moment? 😀
MayaFly7
Rep:
?
(Original post by earthworm)
Another vote for 1984, catch 22 is also woth a look.
I've read '1984' but not Catch 22 which I have been meaning to read for a while! What are you reading at the moment or what was the last book that you read and enjoyed?
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
While it may seem a bit childish - Rick Riordan's novels are good in the way that they make you care about the characters, as well as the Eragon series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you read 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry'? If not then read that.
Justcoffeespoons
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As much as The Kite runner is perfection it is beaten only by A Thousand Splendid Suns, are absolute must reads
FionaLM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MayaFly7)
Hi, thanks for the recommendations! I've read '1984' and I agree with you - the issues are still relevant nowadays! I read 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan for my A Level Literature coursework and I love his style of writing so a I think I will check out his other novels. I am familiar with Grisham although not Follett but I might check their stuff out. What are you reading at the moment? 😀
I am just starting Hillary Clintons 'hard Choices' as well as another 'good omens' by neil gayman & terry pratchett, can't say alot about these books yet...!
Kokoloko
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
It's the about a couple whose traveling carnival failed, so they used drugs and radioactive material to alter the genes of their children. i shall say no more haha

have you read the catcher in the rye?
ooh about 5 years ago i read 'the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime' i can't remember much about it but i know I loved it
elena2710
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I second justcoffeespoons recommendation of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini! It is such a beautiful book that everyone should read- amazing characters too .

I also suggest that you check out The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It's a debut novel set in Ancient Greece about the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus. This book is not normally my kind of thing (I also love dystopian novels) but I honestly could not put this book down.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here's some of the novels that I read over the summer that I enjoyed:

American Psycho
The Handmaid's Tale
The Colour Purple

I really loved The Colour Purple .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads