Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've tried to find out the function of the plural membrane from loads of books but none are really specific. Does any one know?
    plus does anyone know if plant or animal adaptions came up in the jan 2004 edexcel. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizzy 200)
    i've tried to find out the function of the plural membrane from loads of books but none are really specific. Does any one know?
    plus does anyone know if plant or animal adaptions came up in the jan 2004 edexcel. Thanks
    The pleural membrane creates an air-tight seal around the lungs.....which i think allows the the pressure to be maintained inside the lungs helping breathing....if you puncture the pleural membrane..you get a pneumothorax...and you find it hard to breathe.......i think....

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    The pleural membrane creates an air-tight seal around the lungs.....which i think allows the the pressure to be maintained inside the lungs helping breathing....if you puncture the pleural membrane..you get a pneumothorax...and you find it hard to breathe.......i think....

G
    It also provides a smooth surface so that there is no friction between the outside of the lung and the inside of the ribs. If the pleural membrane becomes inflamed you get pleurisy, which is extremely painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    It also provides a smooth surface so that there is no friction between the outside of the lung and the inside of the ribs. If the pleural membrane becomes inflamed you get pleurisy, which is extremely painful.
    Ah yes...that'll come in useful for biology synoptic on the 25th!!!! :eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Ah yes...that'll come in useful for biology synoptic on the 25th!!!! :eek:

G
    Haha, well I am a bit of an expert on it now cos my sister had pleurisy. I had to learn all I could about it to stop my mum from worrying :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.