The Student Room Group

QS rankings

I'm an international student looking to do an LL.B from the UK.
I was just checking the QS 2015 subject rankings and find that in Law:
A) Queen Mary is ranked higher than Durham
B) Manchester is ranked higher than both Warwick and Bristol

I am aware that the "internationalisation" criterion is very important in the QS rankings, but I'm curious to know how a typical British student would react to this league table?

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/law-legal-studies#sorting=rank+region=140+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=
I'd say rankings don't matter much except for the top unis!
I did go for rankings but my main concern was location and modules being offered
Reply 2
I was coming from the perspective of employability.
Reply 3
Original post by ande99
I was coming from the perspective of employability.

I went to a Russell Group uni and I've come across people from Oxbridge and low ranking unis in the job search. Going to Oxbridge doesn't guarantee you a job and going to a low ranking uni doesn't rule you out either.

I can only speak for the solicitor career path but largely your uni won't matter, it's more based on the results you get and who you are as a person. An employer won't put you through to interview just because you went to a good university.

My advice: rankings change year on year, sometimes drastically. Choose a uni where you think you'll be happy and you will naturally excel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ande99
I'm an international student looking to do an LL.B from the UK.
I was just checking the QS 2015 subject rankings and find that in Law:
A) Queen Mary is ranked higher than Durham
B) Manchester is ranked higher than both Warwick and Bristol

I am aware that the "internationalisation" criterion is very important in the QS rankings, but I'm curious to know how a typical British student would react to this league table?

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/law-legal-studies#sorting=rank+region=140+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

International rankings are more useful for postgraduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending