Are these specs good enough for what I want?

Watch
Hrdee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I would like to buy an iMac soon, just a cheap one as money will be limited (16 and can't find a job).
Here are the specs.
Intel i5 2.7GHz Processor
4GB GDDR5 RAM
1TB Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GPU
OS is obviously OS X

On this setup I would like to use word processors, spreadsheets, powerpoints, photoshop (CC version), dreamweaver and Minecraft.
Please note that I want to be able to run them smoothly, not sluggish.
Minecraft FPS 60+ should be good enough for me.

Thank you!
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't know about 60+ fps on Minecraft. The graphics card is nothing special and 4gb RAM is a bit on the low side now.

Why are you looking at an iMac if money is limited? It's not exactly a budget option.
RenegadeMaster
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
4gb of ram is likely not going to be enough for photoshop. You could get a windows laptop with much better specs for around the same price as a low end MacBook. What's your budget?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hrdee)
I would like to buy an iMac soon, just a cheap one as money will be limited (16 and can't find a job).
Here are the specs.
Intel i5 2.7GHz Processor
4GB GDDR5 RAM
1TB Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GPU
OS is obviously OS X

On this setup I would like to use word processors, spreadsheets, powerpoints, photoshop (CC version), dreamweaver and Minecraft.
Please note that I want to be able to run them smoothly, not sluggish.
Minecraft FPS 60+ should be good enough for me.

Thank you!
I swear to some non specific deity, if you're in receipt of any of my tax contributions I'll scream.

What an utterly ridiculous thread. "I have no money, so I'm buying an iMac! But it's ok, I'm only getting the i5 version because money's tight."

You need a check up from the neck up if you think this is "good use of a £1000" that you don't have. What an utterly appalling spec for the money.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RenegadeMaster)
4gb of ram is likely not going to be enough for photoshop. You could get a windows laptop with much better specs for around the same price as a low end MacBook. What's your budget?
Who gives a **** about Photoshop. He wants to play Minecraft, which will happily consume all your RAM if you let it, thanks to Java being such a whore.
RenegadeMaster
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Who gives a **** about Photoshop. He wants to play Minecraft, which will happily consume all your RAM if you let it, thanks to Java being such a whore.
Ah my bad, I haven't played it around 3 years so my memory of it is a little hazy.
Hrdee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was going to buy it used. It was mainly for college and I know the specs are appalling for the original price. I see now that I have upset a few people with my currently not present logic. I wanted to buy an iMac for the complete purpose of owning an iMac.

On the basis of photoshop, 4GB of RAM is plenty as that's what I'm running now and photoshop works just fine. I will browse other desktops as I know that with windows I can get an equal or higher spec system or the same money. The only problem was the purchasing of the components.

Thank you for your responses.

Oh, and yes. Minecraft is a must.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed