LailatAlQadr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm starting my A levels in September and I was wondering what people knew about the new structure and what I can do to prepare if possible? I'm doing Edexcel for Maths, Chemistry and Biology but AQA for Physics.

I'm buying some revision books but they're of course for the old spec so will they be completely useless now? And will coursework be completely removed from the courses? Something I've read is that Maths won't be introduced until 2017, so will it be exactly the same stuff from previous years that I'll be doing?

Ahh I'm pretty lost, thanks for any answers!
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's best to check the exam boards' websites for this sort of thing. I know AQA have launched their new specifications online, so have a look at what you're expected to know and perhaps do some preliminary reading/research on the topics.

They should also have a section of FAQs where you can check whether old course*material, revision guides and such, will be of any use to those studying the new spec. Personally, I wouldn't buy revision guides yet, but try and get your hands on the new specification textbooks and have a read through.

Best of luck
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LailatAlQadr)
I'm starting my A levels in September and I was wondering what people knew about the new structure and what I can do to prepare if possible? I'm doing Edexcel for Maths, Chemistry and Biology but AQA for Physics.

I'm buying some revision books but they're of course for the old spec so will they be completely useless now? And will coursework be completely removed from the courses? Something I've read is that Maths won't be introduced until 2017, so will it be exactly the same stuff from previous years that I'll be doing?

Ahh I'm pretty lost, thanks for any answers!
Maths does not change in any way until 2 year courses that start in 2017. so everything will be exactly as it is now.

All sciences change this year. New text books have been produced. I'm not expert enough on each syllabus to tell you how much has changed and how useful old books would be. Many schools will be unable to afford new text books so will use the old ones and provide supplementary study materials to cover the differences. For UK candidates there will still be a set of practical skills assessments for sciences that, while not contributing to your overall grade, will be noted as pass/fail on your certificate. I have not seen anything definitive about how universities will use the practical result in offering course places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (16)
69.57%

Watched Threads