How many of you girls have guyfriends and how many of you guys have girlfriends? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
If you want a DVD writer then I would definitely wait till the price drops. I thik that just after christmas the price will decrease to the "affordable" level. This means that when you buy your system, you wont have to pay the rediculous additional fee to upgrade it. I have 2 DVD writers and I paid around £375 for my first one (this was when DVD writers were the lastest "toy"), my second cost me £225 ( I think). As you can see, I got screwed on the prices but it doesn't really matter in my case because I make it back.

3Ghz is realistic and 1Gig RAM is Good (I would spring for DDR though).
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
what about companies? apparently, evesham, mesh and delll are good??? stay clear of pc world?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
PC World seem to be more expensive than other places (in my experience anyway).
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I personally would not buy from a well know company but.....

Evesham - Good systems, Decent prices, SHOCKING aftersales service.
Dell - Very good systems, BAD prices, Very good aftersales
Mesh - I hate them intensely!!! BAD prices, Decent systems, F**KING AWFUL AFTERSALES!!!!

I would never buy ANYTHING from PC World.

If you are sure that youwant to buy from a well know brand then try "eMachines", they make excellent systems at very good prices. If you order direct from them then you cut out the middle man and save a lot of money.
Ollie
Rep:
?
i cant find a emachines uk site, is there one?
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
They are an american company so I would guess at it being ".com" rather than ".co.uk". The only difference is that you will pay a courier fee for delivery.
Ollie
Rep:
?
from the usa?
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Won't you also have to pay import duty as well?

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
That is included in the shipping cost (it was with the parts I have had shipped anyway), the only other cost is the courier when it actually gets here.
Ollie
Rep:
?
sounds good, they dont seem to have good monitors, ill buy one of them over here... is there much to loose by getting a laptop?
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
A lot of money to be lost if you have a lappy (speaking from experience). The initial price will be higher just because it is a lappy but the real problems come when you try and upgrade components. Have you any idea how difficult it is to find a GeForce 4 256DRR graphics card that will actually fit into my lappy without having one of those blocks put on the back (which look ugly).

Ps- If you go for a lappy then make sure it has decent built in speakers, otherwise you will endup having fresh ones installed at a huge price.
Ollie
Rep:
?
ok, what about time, they seem pretty cheap, and they chuck in a lot free?
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Time's a quality company, and really helpful, in my experience

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
The only thing I dislike about Time is that they tend to sell hardware that they claim is "state of the art" but it really is not particularly good. If you look at any of the advertisement in the media, they often say that you get a "free" digital camera etc... but when you actually check the quality of the "free" item, it is usually not particularly good. I would avoid buying from them personally but I have heard some good things from friends who have bought things from them.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads