Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry, revising it sucks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First off Ive got so many exams and its becoming a nightmare! Motivation definately plays a key role in this. I have some Chemistry Questions that I would appreciate being answered

Iron is extracted from the oxide Fe2O3 by reduction with carbon and carbon monoxide in a Blast Furnace

In the Blast Furnance, carbon monoxide is produced from carbon in a two-stage process.1) Write equations to show
    these stages

Stage 1..................

Stage2...................

2) Write an equation for the reduction of Fe2O3 by Carbon and an equation for the reduction
    of Fe2O3 by carbon monoxide

Carbon.................

Carbon Monoxide.............

3) Limestone is added to the Blast Furnance to remove impurities present in the iron ore. Identify
    the main impurity removed by limestone. Write an equation or equations to show how
    limestone acts to remove this impurity

Impurity............

Equation(s)............

4) State the main impurity in iron obtained from the Blast Furnace. Explain how this

impurity is removed in the conversion of impure iron into steel

Impurity...............

Explanation............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monopolair)
    First off Ive got so many exams and its becoming a nightmare! Motivation definately plays a key role in this. I have some Chemistry Questions that I would appreciate being answered

Iron is extracted from the oxide Fe2O3 by reduction with carbon and carbon monoxide in a Blast Furnace

In the Blast Furnance, carbon monoxide is produced from carbon in a two-stage process.1) Write equations to show
    these stages

2) Write an equation for the reduction of Fe2O3 by Carbon and an equation for the reduction

Carbon.................

3) Limestone is added to the Blast Furnance to remove impurities present in the iron ore. Identify
    the main impurity removed by limestone. Write an equation or equations to show how

Impurity............

Equation(s)............

4) State the main impurity in iron obtained from the Blast Furnace. Explain how this

Impurity...............

Explanation............

Check out www.sciencepages.co.uk. Go to the GCSE Section, and there is quite a lot on the blast furnace there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monopolair)

these stages

Carbon.................

Impurity............

Equation(s)............

Impurity...............

Explanation............
    Best thing would be to get a revision book. If you're doing the AQA syllabus, get yourself the little red books they do (one for each of the modules) and cram everything from there and you'll be fine. It looks a lot, but you'll remember a lot from your lessons anyway. They can only ask questions on anything from the book.

ReputationRep:
    hi what are you having trouble with most? add me to msn [email protected]

anyway:

1) stage1: C + 02 ==> C02

stage2: C02 + C =====> 2C0

2) Eq. For carbon
    2Fe2O3 + 3c ====> 4Fe + 3C02

Eq. for Carbon Monox.
    Fe203 + 3C0 ====> 2Fe + 3C02

3)Imp: Si02

Eqz: CaCo3 ==> Cao + Co2

CaO + SiO2 ==> CaSi03 <- CHERCK ME ON THIS

4) Imp: Carbon

Exp: carbon is oxidised????? not sure sorry

ReputationRep:
    Yes, calcium silicate (SillyKate) seems right.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, that's all right.
    4) I think its the basic oxygen steel making process thing.

Oxygen is blown onto the iron which reacts with the carbon to produce carbon monoxide i think.
    The iron also has to be desulphurised with Mg or Ca.
    Other impurities are removed by the oxygen...they form oxides which react with lime to produce ****.
    Sulphur can't be removed by oxygen as iron is oxidised more readily.

Not sure which bit of this is relevent to your question but hope this might help slightly.
    Lu x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    dazza Thank you

I would add you to MSN but I do not have it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what level of exams are you doing? gcse, alevel etc...
    Your Questions already answered but i was just wondering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah_mushroom)
    Hi, what level of exams are you doing? gcse, alevel etc...
    Your Questions already answered but i was just wondering!
    From an educated guess, i'd say AS as they require the actual equations rather than words i.e. instead of silicon dioxide

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.