Psychology work experience/internship/volunteering Watch

cathartic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm 16 years old and would like something to do in the summer. I really want a job in the field of psychology (clinical part of it). It's hard to find work experience due to my age and because I'll have to work with confidential information what can I do and where can I go?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cathartic)
I'm 16 years old and would like something to do in the summer. I really want a job in the field of psychology (clinical part of it). It's hard to find work experience due to my age and because I'll have to work with confidential information what can I do and where can I go?
Its pretty difficult to get something at 16, have to be something more out of the box. Have you considered volunteering at any local mental health charities. During term time i d say look at volunteering at special schools.
cathartic
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Its pretty difficult to get something at 16, have to be something more out of the box. Have you considered volunteering at any local mental health charities. During term time i d say look at volunteering at special schools.
Thank you I will try to find some if I can't find anything related to psychology would you recommend anything else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cathartic)
Thank you I will try to find some if I can't find anything related to psychology would you recommend anything else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont do psychology myself but my partner did a joint degree and didnt need work experience to get a place so i wouldn't worry too much if you cant find anything.
HardStudy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, i am going onto an access to HE course on September to do Law, Psychology and Sociology. I am hoping to do Forensic Psychology. I have applied for volunteering at Merseycare NHS. Its the mental health side to the NHS. Working with patients with Alzhiemers, Eating disorders, depression etc. Although i don't need experience to get into uni, it will help my application. Although, you might change your mind next year.Good luck.
AndrooKing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm studying Psychology and found it difficult when looking for experience.

I'm really interested in a counselling psychology, so I applied to volunteer for ChildLine to be a counsellor. So I'm hoping this will benefit me.

I volunteer once a week, and it's great
Charlottelt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah charities like Childline and Beatbullying are good. Also look on volunteering websites about helping as a peer mentor type role.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
befriending roles are always good and easy to get, look at old people's homes and children's holiday schemes
xabsx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The easiest thing to do for voluntary work is to work in a clinical area. I want to be a Clinical Psychologist so I'm volunteering with the NHS at my local hospital and it'll look amazing on your personal statement for not only your undergraduate but your postgraduate degree as it shows interest when you're young.

Every large hospital owned by the NHS has a voluntary service department so go onto the website and send in an application form, anyone above the age of 16 can do this.
They will ask if you're interested in a certain ward (you need to apply as a ward helper) and even though you're unable to work in a mental health ward (some places may let you) your best bet is a gastroenterology ward, I've met people with eating disorders, alcoholics, dementia patients etc. which is a bonus as it relates to mental health!
cathartic
Rep:
?
(Original post by xabsx)
The easiest thing to do for voluntary work is to work in a clinical area. I want to be a Clinical Psychologist so I'm volunteering with the NHS at my local hospital and it'll look amazing on your personal statement for not only your undergraduate but your postgraduate degree as it shows interest when you're young.

Every large hospital owned by the NHS has a voluntary service department so go onto the website and send in an application form, anyone above the age of 16 can do this.
They will ask if you're interested in a certain ward (you need to apply as a ward helper) and even though you're unable to work in a mental health ward (some places may let you) your best bet is a gastroenterology ward, I've met people with eating disorders, alcoholics, dementia patients etc. which is a bonus as it relates to mental health!
Thank you so much I will definitely see if this is available at my local hospital

Posted from TSR Mobile
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm trying to find an easy work experience to support my psychology application but can't find anything :/ The volunteer sites I've seen so far require two volunteers, one being a current/recent employer and I don't have one? I just want an easy-to-get work experience that will look good on a personal statement, any ideas?

I wouldn't mind going to a care home but 1) is it really beneficial? 2) how do I go about getting work experience there?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You really don't need work experience to apply for psychology at undergrad - extra reading is what the unis look for, because they know that WE can be hard to come by
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads