Dharmpan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am joining GCSE in September 2015. Obviously I am part of new maths syllabus and new grading system (9-1). Is there any maths books , practice , guide etc. available for new GCSE Edexcel board.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dharmpan)
I am joining GCSE in September 2015. Obviously I am part of new maths syllabus and new grading system (9-1). Is there any maths books , practice , guide etc. available for new GCSE Edexcel board.
The new syllabus isn't that different from the old one and most schools will not immediately be getting new books.
There are loads of new official ones (from Pearson), Edexcel endorsed ones (ie approved by them but from other publishers) and independent ones (e.g. CGP) but I wouldn't buy any yet until teachers have had a chance to review them.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...resources.html
If you search "Edexcel GCSE (9-1)" in Amazon.co.uk you'll see some of them available to order
Most revision guides and revision work books are still being written because the sample examinations have only just been approved by the regulators (you can find the sample papers on the Edexcel web site if you are interested)

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2015.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dharmpan
Rep:
?
Thanks my friend.

I am bit concerned by new system as there is no modular study and tough grading. I am thinking to use my holiday time in understanding new maths paper so planning to buy new book. I found this one interesting from Amazon.

Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Mathematics: Higher Practice, Reasoning and Problem-Solving Book (Edexcel GCSE Maths 2015)

What do you reckon?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dharmpan)
Thanks my friend.

I am bit concerned by new system as there is no modular study and tough grading. I am thinking to use my holiday time in understanding new maths paper so planning to buy new book. I found this one interesting from Amazon.

Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Mathematics: Higher Practice, Reasoning and Problem-Solving Book (Edexcel GCSE Maths 2015)

What do you reckon?
Certainly do some maths over the summer if you want to but the first exam for this syllabus isn't until summer 2017 so there is no rush if you can get an old revision and practice book from family/friend it will be just as useful for this summer break.
I think that particular book would just contain practice questions and have very little explanation. The more expensive student book will have more detailed explanation. I have ordered both and will let you know when I have seen them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dharmpan
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
Certainly do some maths over the summer if you want to but the first exam for this syllabus isn't until summer 2017 so there is no rush if you can get an old revision and practice book from family/friend it will be just as useful for this summer break.
I think that particular book would just contain practice questions and have very little explanation. The more expensive student book will have more detailed explanation. I have ordered both and will let you know when I have seen them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered 1 book.
Dharmpan
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
If you ordered The practice book it may not contain the answers......
This has been a feature of books in the past that are designed for use in the classroom.
If it doesn't, send me a private message as I'll probably have a PDF with answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.51%
Uncertainty around my education (17)
10.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (18)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (24)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
4.14%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (14)
8.28%
Financial worries (9)
5.33%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (13)
7.69%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (21)
12.43%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
8.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed