emmajones12770
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

So I am starting Year 12 next year and have just been looking into UCAS points. I was led to believe that DofE got you points but apparently it doesn't. I was hoping to do some things along side my four a levels to help boost my points.

Can anyone who has done any of the following (or anything else) give me a bit of an idea as to the experience you had whilst doing it, was it worth it? Was it easy? etc... And what sort of things you have to do for them...

ASDAN community volunteering 30 ucas points for the award and then 50 ucas points at the next level of certificate
ASDAN Award of personal effectiveness 30 ucas points
CoPE 70 Ucas points
IBO reflective project 20-60 UCAS points from E to A
Sports leaders level 3 QFC 30 ucas points

Thanks
Greg9874
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you want to boost your UCAS points?? Many offers at University ask for 'x' amount of points from 3 A levels..

Even employers use the same criteria if they require UCAS points on recruitment..
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Buy them from tescos.
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greg9874)
Why do you want to boost your UCAS points?? Many offers at University ask for 'x' amount of points from 3 A levels..

Even employers use the same criteria if they require UCAS points on recruitment..
I wanted to do something a little extra. At our school you have to do at least one extra thing so I wanted people's opinions.
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got some through music/drama exams and getting to high grades in those, but I didn't do that for the points - they're hobbies that I spent years pursuing.
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
UCAS Points are a complete waste of time, but that "extra" effort into getting better A level results, nobody cares for UCAS points it's just used as a bearing, and entry requirements are usually based on grade-only UCAS points, since all the other stuff shows no level of academic achievement.

EDIT: Basically, imagine you're a University. Are you going to take student A with AAA or student B with ABB but grade 7 in piano and did DofE?? Exactly my point
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by ComputerMaths97)
UCAS Points are a complete waste of time, but that "extra" effort into getting better A level results, nobody cares for UCAS points it's just used as a bearing, and entry requirements are usually based on grade-only UCAS points, since all the other stuff shows no level of academic achievement.

EDIT: Basically, imagine you're a University. Are you going to take student A with AAA or student B with ABB but grade 7 in piano and did DofE?? Exactly my point
Yes but at school I still have to do one extra...
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by clonedmemories)
I got some through music/drama exams and getting to high grades in those, but I didn't do that for the points - they're hobbies that I spent years pursuing.
Shame I'm no good at music or drama
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No good unis' offers use UCAS points anyway. They just offer AAB/AAA/A*AA.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emmajones12770)
Yes but at school I still have to do one extra...
No you don't, you're not legally forced to do it in any way whatsoever either, my school told me the same thing, I didn't bother. Because I realised it's a waste of my time, when I could be achieving good grades instead. If you end up falling for your schools threats, just pick the easiest one possible, they truly are a waste of time.
Greg9874
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wanted to do something a little extra. At our school you have to do at least one extra thing so I wanted people's opinions.
Ah okay. Well if it helps you.. When I was at sixth form, which admittedly was a few years ago now I did Cope. It was a ludicrous waste of time which upon reflection I wish I would never have signed up for. It was basically a class where you just have to show up for a year and you get the UCAS points. The aims behind it were to teach you how to manage your work and how to live your life. Basically things in which anyone with a rudimentary sense of consciousness and intellect possess.

Sorry to be so negative. But enjoy..
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by ComputerMaths97)
No you don't, you're not legally forced to do it in any way whatsoever either, my school told me the same thing, I didn't bother. Because I realised it's a waste of my time, when I could be achieving good grades instead. If you end up falling for your schools threats, just pick the easiest one possible, they truly are a waste of time.
That's why I'm trying to establish which one is easiest and what each one if like etc...
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you Google "UCAS tariff" you'll get a full list of every way in which you can get UCAS points.

However, most universities, including all of the better ones, will ask for A Level grades, not UCAS points, and many of the remainder won't count UCAS points from irrelevant things.

If you want to do a pony care qualification (or whatever) because you enjoy it, that's fine, but don't think it's going to get you a UCAS offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's why I'm trying to establish which one is easiest and what each one if like etc...
Go with the "I'll sign up for x but I'll never do it, fail it and never mention it" because you know it's a waste of time :P
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
If you Google "UCAS tariff" you'll get a full list of every way in which you can get UCAS points.

However, most universities, including all of the better ones, will ask for A Level grades, not UCAS points, and many of the remainder won't count UCAS points from irrelevant things.

If you want to do a pony care qualification (or whatever) because you enjoy it, that's fine, but don't think it's going to get you a UCAS offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You already get more than enough ucas points from alevrls alone u dont need to do anything else. Unless ur really planning on scraping the bottomnof thr varrel with your grades
Formless
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
No good unis' offers use UCAS points anyway. They just offer AAB/AAA/A*AA.
He said it best, If the uni 'asks' for ucas points its not gonna be a good uni, Things that give ucas points such as DofE are mere additional to your personal statement. The good reputable unis care about the grades. I just completed yr 12 and applying to uni currently, there is no section to add UCAS points and DofE thats in your personal statement, it only asks for qualifications.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ucas points for qualifications other than A levels or BTECs are only taken into account if you are applying for a course for which they are relevant. Grade 8 music exams are very relevant for music degrees, but of no interest at all for engineering, so they will only form parts of offers for a very small number of courses. There is no point at all starting doing something just for the points, so pick the thing you will enjoy most (or mind doing least) out of the things you are offered.
emmajones12770
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Ucas points for qualifications other than A levels or BTECs are only taken into account if you are applying for a course for which they are relevant. Grade 8 music exams are very relevant for music degrees, but of no interest at all for engineering, so they will only form parts of offers for a very small number of courses. There is no point at all starting doing something just for the points, so pick the thing you will enjoy most (or mind doing least) out of the things you are offered.
Thanks
username1544121
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by grassntai)
Buy them from tescos.
Every little helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads