dis0rder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i didn't attend one of my A2 exams in june, but whilst applying to uni with ucas i put down the grade for it as 'pending'. do i need to inform ucas that i didn't take the exam before results day or will they know?

edit: the grade for this A2 wasn't specified in any of my offers, it was a 4th a-level which was only an extra, so there aren't any problems with that as i've already notified my firm choice about the non-attendance and they're fine with it
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dis0rder)
i didn't attend one of my A2 exams in june, but whilst applying to uni with ucas i put down the grade for it as 'pending'. do i need to inform ucas that i didn't take the exam before results day or will they know?
they only find out your full results as far as i know, are you still able to get the grades you need without sitting that exam?
Puzzled_Logician
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure if it depends on the exam board or not, but this is what AQA appears to say:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...-consideration

I'm not sure if they have anything if you miss an exam without a reason they deem 'valid'. Either way, good luck with it....

EDIT: also, is your username a play on words with regard to entropy?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The code will show that you didn't turn up, iirc. You should inform the university which made you the offer that you did not turn up ahead of results day because a) the fact that you put that you were resitting on your application formed part of the circumstances that persuaded them to make the offer and you have now changed that, and b) there could be a delay in matching up your results with your application and that could hold up the process of confirming your place on Track. More importantly, if you have missed your offer and there is a delay in making you Unsuccessful on Track, Clearing places will have been filled before you have had a chance to look at them.
dis0rder
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
they only find out your full results as far as i know, are you still able to get the grades you need without sitting that exam?
yes, it was only an additional 4th A2 which i didn't really need and i refused to teach myself all the content LITERALLY a month before the exam because i didn't have any set lessons for it, i already have an AS in it though
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes, it was only an additional 4th A2 which i didn't really need and i refused to teach myself all the content LITERALLY a month before the exam because i didn't have any set lessons for it, i already have an AS in it though
Nevertheless, you told the universities that you were an applicant taking four A2s and that is no longer the case, so you will need to discuss how this affects your situation with them.
dis0rder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puzzled_Logician)
I'm not sure if it depends on the exam board or not, but this is what AQA appears to say:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...-consideration

I'm not sure if they have anything if you miss an exam without a reason they deem 'valid'. Either way, good luck with it....

EDIT: also, is your username a play on words with regard to entropy?
i probably should have mentioned that this A-level wouldn't have affected my offer in the OP :') it was only a 4th additional one, basically it was a Polish A-level, i got an A at AS with zero preparation whereas this year for A2 we had no teaching either and i didn't look too much into the spec thinking it would be just as easy as AS but it turned out that i had to read a few books and learn lots about the war period in poland which i straight out refused to do a month before the A2 exam as i was already struggling with managing the revision for the other 3 subjects

also, my username is actually a song by joy division good idea though, i didn't even think of that!
dis0rder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Nevertheless, you told the universities that you were an applicant taking four A2s and that is no longer the case, so you will need to discuss how this affects your situation with them.
i did email m first choice asking if it would have any effect on my offer and they said it'd be absolutely fine since they didn't specify that i needed a grade from this subject, i'm just wondering whether ucas need to be notified
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i did email m first choice asking if it would have any effect on my offer and they said it'd be absolutely fine since they didn't specify that i needed a grade from this subject, i'm just wondering whether ucas need to be notified
They will certainly need to know, or they will be chasing non-existent exam results. If it has been cleared with your firm, then call Ucas and tell them.
Puzzled_Logician
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i probably should have mentioned that this A-level wouldn't have affected my offer in the OP :' it was only a 4th additional one, basically it was a Polish A-level, i got an A at AS with zero preparation whereas this year for A2 we had no teaching either and i didn't look too much into the spec thinking it would be just as easy as AS but it turned out that i had to read a few books and learn lots about the war period in poland which i straight out refused to do a month before the A2 exam as i was already struggling with managing the revision for the other 3 subjects

also, my username is actually a song by joy division good idea though, i didn't even think of that!
Okay, I thought this thread had a weirdly calm feel to it despite the impending results day...

Shame about the username, I finally thought I found someone else who cares about thermodynamics too.... :doh:
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, I thought this thread had a weirdly calm feel to it despite the impending results day...

Shame about the username, I finally thought I found someone else who cares about thermodynamics too.... :doh:
I would have liked to watch a developing romance also.
dis0rder
Rep:
?

i'm anything but calm right now i actually did A2 chemistry and this was my fave topic because i was actually really good at it hahaha
Puzzled_Logician
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i'm anything but calm right now i actually did A2 chemistry and this was my fave topic because i was actually really good at it hahaha
I'm almost in complete terror about results day, the dreams of failure seem to be frequent and my sleep (which is not great normally) has been interrupted even more so recently...

Which exam board did you do? My favourite topics were basically anything that didn't require much writing (I like maths...).
Puzzled_Logician
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would have liked to watch a developing romance also.
It can only get more chaotic from here...
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It can only get more chaotic from here...
Can it? Oh well, I tried.
Puzzled_Logician
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can it? Oh well, I tried.
2nd law of thermodynamics....?

Ah well, maybe it was too hidden
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
2nd law of thermodynamics....?

Ah well, maybe it was too hidden
I didn't do physics after year 9, so you are wasting your jokes on me, sadly. I'm sure it was hilarious.
Puzzled_Logician
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't do physics after year 9, so you are wasting your jokes on me, sadly. I'm sure it was hilarious.
Fair enough, sciences aren't for everyone.
dis0rder
Rep:
?
I'm almost in complete terror about results day, the dreams of failure seem to be frequent and my sleep (which is not great normally) has been interrupted even more so recently...

Which exam board did you do? My favourite topics were basically anything that didn't require much writing (I like maths...).
OCR, still getting nightmares about F324...
i resat F322 and did quite well i think, got As in both coursework units and a C in F321 so a grade B overall can only be a miracle now
organic chemistry was my favourite :biggrin:
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough, sciences aren't for everyone.
Back in the Dark Ages, we had to choose between sciences and languages, so I dropped physics and chemistry and did French, German, Latin and Russian instead. No regrets. Did get the highest grade in biology, at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads