Advice on my situation as a finance student Watch

Demiurgic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. (I'm sorry if it is in the wrong part of the forum.)

I need advice on how to achieve my goal of working in an investment bank. I'm going to be starting in September at a mid table university. I have just completed my foundation year in finance and I received a first at 78%. My A-Levels are not good and are not related to finance (hence why I took a foundation year in it); and my gcses are nonexistent apart from English and maths. The year before my foundation I took a gap year and spent most of my time working in Europe, during this time I wanted to work out what field of work I would want to go into. I talked to my two friends who both go to top ten university's about my options and what i enjoyed and I decided on finance. The reason that I believe my GCSE and A-Levels are not good is because I changed school multiple times due to my parents arguing and both regularly living in different countries. I was originally supposed to go to boarding school like my older siblings however my parents hate for each other meant they couldn't agree on fees. The schools I went to I obviously stood out as the posh kid, so trying to fit in with everyone else I ended up not caring about grades and more about parties and being popular. (I don't blame my parents btw, I blame my self for being immature at the time and not caring about my grades).

This is my plan at the moment (any advice on improving this would be very much appreciated). Start university and join the hockey team (I used to play county level). Get a first in years one and two and carry on studying mandarin. During the summer break of the first year I would want to get an internship either at a bank in London or Jersey. In year two I would like to apply for a position on the hockey team either as treasury or even captain. As soon as I finish year two i would want to get a year internship and come back for the final year (hopefully finishing with a first and being fluent in mandarin verbal). I would then want to get a job for two years hopefully in an investment bank and then do a masters at LSE or a similar prestige university. Then I would apply for associate level jobs at investment banks.

My questions:
Because I will not be studying at a top university that will surely hinder my chances of internships at the top investment banks, however will some still consider me if I get a first and show dedication?

Should I apply for spring internships?

Getting an internship in investment banking in my first year I presume will be very hard; so if I work in a related field over the summer will that benefit me in getting future internships/jobs in investment banking?

Having bad GCSEs and A-Levels; will this affect my chance to do a masters at a top university? (presuming my plan works out with me getting a first etc).

Thanks for the advice
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would help if you say which Uni you are at?
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations. You've made a plan. You'll soon realise that almost everyone on your course has the exact same plan. You'll then realise that those in top unis also have the same plan.

Not studying at a top level uni will hinder your chances. You will have much less exposure to investment banks as its unlikely to be a target uni. The topics you get taught will likely be less rigorous or demanding as those at a top level uni as well.

Having bad GCSEs and A-Levels can affect your chance of getting a place on a masters degree. They make up part of your overall application. Your overall application will be considered. If you have loads of relevant work experience, a strong undergrad degree, strong personal statement it will obviously be less relevant, but it still has some impact.
Demiurgic
Rep:
?
Portsmouth
Demiurgic
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh_v)
Not studying at a top level uni will hinder your chances. You will have much less exposure to investment banks as its unlikely to be a target uni. The topics you get taught will likely be less rigorous or demanding as those at a top level uni as well.
I would be able to get a job in a related field very easily in Jersey, would it be best I do that straight after university? Then after I get my masters (hopefully from a top university) apply to the investment banks?
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Demiurgic)
I would be able to get a job in a related field very easily in Jersey, would it be best I do that straight after university? Then after I get my masters (hopefully from a top university) apply to the investment banks?
You're thinking way too far ahead.

Do your first year, apply for spring weeks. Most places don't want first years for summer internships.

You don't know what situation you'll be in. Some people do a masters because they don't get a job, some go back to do it after working for a few years. But trying to predict where you'll be in 5 years time is a bit unrealistic given the potential variables involved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads