VERBS in Spanish. Watch

Cal1999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

Somebody told me that the only way to learn verbs in Spanish (as they follow no pattern) is to just memorise all 36 different tenses for each verb?

Is this true? Is this the easiest way to do it?
It sounds quite laborious and tedious to me.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cal1999)
Hi all,

Somebody told me that the only way to learn verbs in Spanish (as they follow no pattern) is to just memorise all 36 different tenses for each verb?

Of course there's an easier way; Spanish verbs do follow patterns!

They are organised into -ar, -er and ir verbs and have a pattern of roots and endings in each tense. Of course there are loads of irregular verbs (in which the patterns are somehow interrupted) and the radical-changing verbs where the endings remain the same but the roots change for pronunciation purposes.

There are two kinds of tenses: simple and compound tenses. Simple tenses are made with just one word: eg the present (trabajo), imperfect (trabajaba), future (trabajaré), conditional (trabajaría), preterite (trabajé), etc. These need learning but regular verbs follow a regular pattern so you don't need to learn all those separately. Radical-changing verbs also follow regular patterns once you've got used to how the roots change (eg: jugar: juego; poder: puedo etc.) Basically you're going to find the most irrgular forms in the present, future, and preterite tenses (and also the subjunctive, of course) - the conditional and imperfect are "hooked" onto other tenses and are otherwise regular in their formation.

For your compound tenses, all you need to know is estar and haber in the simple tenses and the present and past participles.of the verbs. So you don't need to learn all the compound tenses separately, just know how to form them and know the past participles. Eg: estoy trabajando; estoy comiendo, estoy mirando; estaba conduciendo,estaba escuchando; he hecho, he terminado; había visitado, había leído; que haya comprendido etc.

Although this table:http://www.lingolex.com/spanver.htm is not complete it will give you an idea of what is going on.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cal1999)
Hi all,

No, most verbs follow the same patterns depending on their endings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.15%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.7%
No, but I want to start (173)
35.97%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.28%
No, I chose not to (139)
28.9%