Post facts most people seem to be unaware of

Watch
Meta Cognition
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
With source(s)/context!

Most of my facts will be on economics. . . Just cuz.

1. Economics is nowhere near as ideological as people think it is. The New Neoclassical Synthesis has provided a great deal of convergence in the field. It's not difficult to find broad consensus on a host of policy issues. There are only really two schools of thought: saltwater and freshwater, with various strands. The misperception of many competing schools probably comes from heterodox groups like the Post-Keynesians or Austrians who make broadly false claims while making the most noise, as well as people emphasising the difference between Keynesians and Monetarists (if you're a Keynesian in 2015, you're living in a Monetarist hegemony).

2. Free trade is good for the environment.

3. Hate crime and terrorism are largely unrelated to level of education or economic conditions.

4. Foreign aid doesn't really help poorer countries, instead simply increasing the size of the recipient government.

5. Trickle-down economics isn't actually a thing.

6. People on zero-hours contracts enjoy their job to about the same degree as the general populace, and are more likely to be happy with their work-life balance.

7. FDR's New Deal didn't aid the US's recovery (and potentially harmed it).

8. Fiscal consolidation (austerity) isn't always contractionary.

9. Hospital competition actually helps improve performance.
niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Africa isn't a country
Meta Cognition
Rep:
?
(Original post by niceguy95)
Africa isn't a country
You got a source for that?
Nortus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3 isn't what "most people" are unaware of. 4 offers no alternative at all regardless of how true or untrue it is therefore criticism is pointless while 7 just seems wrong.
Meta Cognition
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nortus)
3 isn't what "most people" are unaware of.
Seems like it.

4 offers no alternative at all regardless of how true or untrue it is therefore criticism is pointless
Well, that's not true. There are myriad proposals for welfare-improvement in developing countries, with things like debt relief and microfinance being just two, although their efficacy is also suspect. Just because I haven't enunciated the alternatives, it doesn't make criticism irrelevant.

while 7 just seems wrong.
So? Evidence trumps intuition. The recovery almost wholly came from monetary stimulus.
Nortus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Meta Cognition)
Seems like it.

Well, that's not true. There are myriad proposals for welfare-improvement in developing countries, with things like debt relief
Only four countries in Africa have debt-to-GDP above world average (64%) of which two are because of civil war and one because they hate white people and don't know how to farm. Egypt is the only African country with a debt above average. Most don't even need the debt relief you talk of because debt largely does not exist.

(IMF)
Spoiler:
Show
External debt (Public and Private (Household+Corporate)) in Ethiopia is 53 dollars per citizen. That's 3.3% of Ethiopia's GDP per capita (in purchasing power) .. What will debt relief achieve for Ethiopia?

This one is a little older (2007): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._world_map.PNG

and microfinance being just two, although their efficacy is also suspect.
Tanzania is one notable large recipient of microfinance (and distributor) and it has done well in alleviating poverty, but institutional problems and instability still remain. The corporate scene of Tanzania is the same as it was ever and microfinance generally does not help those who live above the poverty line. (<$2.5)

The full extent of microfinancing is yet to be seen but it can hardly be described as a policy, emphasising the 'micro' part as well as the fact that economic growth as a result is not notable.
Just because I haven't enunciated the alternatives, it doesn't make criticism irrelevant.
Well of course it makes the argument irrelevant. A proper criticism of a policy should offer an alternative, otherwise that criticism looks nothing more than a rant.
Meta Cognition
Rep:
?
What will debt relief achieve for Ethiopia?
I quite explicitly said that both of those proposals are suspect in their efficacy; why are you trying to question me as if I advocated them?

Well of course it makes the argument irrelevant.
Except I'm not offering an argument; I'm stating the fact that foreign aid isn't very helpful. I have no interest in arguing for alternatives (although William Easterly's work is worth reading) because that's not the point of this thread.
TheInfiltrator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cuba was taken from Spain in the Spanish-American war by Roosevelt's cavelry
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is not the norm worldwide for second chambers to be directly elected.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nobody really knows who's actually in charge of the UK
Nortus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
Nobody really knows who's actually in charge of the UK
My mum, obviously.

But don't tell anyone.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My mum, obviously.

But don't tell anyone.
You're the Prince of Wales?!
The Warsmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Nortus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
You're the Prince of Wales?!
Secretly.
viddy9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With source(s)/context!

Most of my facts will be on economics. . . Just cuz.

1. Economics is nowhere near as ideological as people think it is. The New Neoclassical Synthesis has provided a great deal of convergence in the field. It's not difficult to find broad consensus on a host of policy issues. There are only really two schools of thought: saltwater and freshwater, with various strands. The misperception of many competing schools probably comes from heterodox groups like the Post-Keynesians or Austrians who make broadly false claims while making the most noise, as well as people emphasising the difference between Keynesians and Monetarists (if you're a Keynesian in 2015, you're living in a Monetarist hegemony).
Thanks for the link to the consensus issues. Very interesting.

2. Free trade is good for the environment.
Is one paper really enough to demonstrate this? This paper, for instance, paints a slightly more complex picture; trade has a negligible effect on some measures of environmental damage, but a negative effect on others.

3. Hate crime and terrorism are largely unrelated to level of education or economic conditions.
Yes, I think this has been particularly well demonstrated elsewhere too.

4. Foreign aid doesn't really help poorer countries, instead simply increasing the size of the recipient government.
I'm not sure about this one. It depends on the type of aid and how well-directed it is, in my view. Some aid can be good; some can be bad.

And, perhaps aid would help in a wider range of cases if we actually spent more money on it: the Iraq War cost more than the amount the United States spent on aid in the past 50 years. The aid that developed countries give each year amounts to around $33 per person in developing countries.

Moreover, health-based aid, in particular, seems to have had a beneficial effect in some instances. Smallpox was eradicated following a WHO initiative, deaths from malaria and cholera have dramatically fallen and under-five child mortality due to preventable diseases of all kinds has also dramatically fallen, and it's hard not to credit charitable donations and aid with at least some of this overall success.

7. FDR's New Deal didn't aid the US's recovery (and potentially harmed it).
I'll have to read this.

8. Fiscal consolidation (austerity) isn't always contractionary.
Ah, very interesting. Thanks again.

9. Hospital competition actually helps improve performance.
This seems to be quite intuitive, in some ways. Although, the opposite could also be construed as such, as well, I suppose.
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Africa is a continent.
SiminaM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just in general, it bugs me when your opinion is not the 'right one' and it automatically makes you a hater. It seems to me that many people can't understand that not everyone thinks the same.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The EU and the Euro are here to stay.

Accusations of a 'democratic deficit' in the EU have been rubbished most recently in an intensive Harvard study.

Greece a economy was growing under their previous administration- ditching the euro has got nothing to do with solving greeces problems- the vast majority of Greeks also want to stay on the EU.

Welsh, Scottish and Northern people are all free to move to the south east- some of them don't even speak English and have a very different quality of life to us.

Scrapping trident would actually cost a ton of money.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The SNP knowing lied in the run up to the referendum.
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
There's no such thing as "African" language.
People in Africa speak a variety of languages depending on the region, such as Swahili, Arabic or Hausa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.17%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.68%
Look for a job (12)
3.14%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.45%
Take a year out (67)
17.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.02%

Watched Threads