A Level Chemistry Question

Watch this thread
evaristegalois
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I am starting, A Level Chemistry OCR Exam Board this year, and I was just wondering whether if they give you the ions (ve+&-) on the chemistry data sheet during the test.

e.g would they give Na+ on the sheet (I know this is an extremely basic one, and even a monkey would recognise, but it's an example).

Or would they expect you remember these ions, for the test (or maybe assume that you already know the pattern for the ions, such as on the s-block you would have positive ions, I think? e.g K+
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I didn't do OCR, but for my exam board we certainly didn't get any of them. Tbh you shouldn't have to spend any extra time learning them, the common ones will become second nature.
the traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by evaristegalois)
So I am starting, A Level Chemistry OCR Exam Board this year, and I was just wondering whether if they give you the ions (ve+&-) on the chemistry data sheet during the test.

e.g would they give Na+ on the sheet (I know this is an extremely basic one, and even a monkey would recognise, but it's an example).

Or would they expect you remember these ions, for the test (or maybe assume that you already know the pattern for the ions, such as on the s-block you would have positive ions, I think? e.g K+
no but you would have to have to deduce what their charges are by looking at their group e.g group1 gives 1+ ions and group 2 gives 2+ ions whilst group 7 give 1- ions and group 6 gives 2-. as for other metals such as transition metals you would be given an oxidation number which you will learn about and you can use that easily to find out their charges
lukemurp890
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by evaristegalois)

No, there are a list of ions you need to know (they are specified in the OCR Chem textbook). E.g CO3-2, NH4+.

As the user before me said, you need to deduce any other ions. I.e. Fluorine is in group 7, so will gain an electron in certain reactions. Forming an F- ion.
Gaiaphage
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
As before, you don't get given them, you only get given this data sheet. However, by the time you sit A level chemistry every ion will be second nature to you and you should know every one you need instantly without any revision, just from having seen them so many times!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
26.47%
As I expected (45)
33.09%
Harder (48)
35.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.15%

Watched Threads