Dental Nursring Cert HE 2016-2017/work experience ahhhh!

Watch
Katieandfras
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all

I am doing an access course in Health and Human Sciences this September then hopefully going on to study Dental Nursing at the University Of Portsmouth in 2016

I recently went to an open day in which the lecturers told everyone if we have not got any work experience in Dental Nursing we would not be called for interview. Fast forward to now and I have been trying to get work experience with a number of practices but each saying thanks but no thanks. :/

Now I can sort of see why they are saying no as aside from reading numerous books on biology and dental nursing I don't know enough to be of any real help practices as this would be alongside my sciences college access course not the uni course.

There is only 20 spaces available so Im now really panicking !

Anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance
enajaluap
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya, I just wondered what the benefits of going to uni to study Dental Nursing are compared to applying for a job as a trainee DN and training that way? I'm a Dental Nurse, I applied for a Trainee Dental Nurse job locally to me just over 3 years ago and did my NEBDN Diploma in Dental Nursing while working. Most employers will pay towards your course as well - try to get onto an NEBDN course though rather than an NVQ as I've found that the support for studying down this route isn't as good. I don't understand practices not taking you on for work experience, where are you based? Practices in my area (Devon) are always looking for trainee DN's beware though, it's hard work, non stop, full on and not very well paid! If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. xx
Katieandfras
Rep:
?
Hello

I looked into training on the job but all the hours are full time and with 2 young children its just not possible for me to work 8-5/7 everyday. I can work the hours around my family and existing job whilst I train

I know the salary isn't the best but compared to my wages now it's a big step up. Plus it's a career and something I think I will enjoy

Since I posted my original message I have managed to secure some work experience so very happy
enajaluap
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh that's great, congratulations Let me know how you get on!
Katieandfras
Rep:
?
Thank you

I have had a look around for trainee jobs as an option and found a training company called Harriett Ellis but the reviews don't seem very positive and in total I would have to pay approx £1500 to include exams and the course. Is this an ever age amount?

Learn direct don't have any apprenticeships in my area and my local college doesn't offer anything either?! I am now leaning towards the learn on the job route though now but there doesn't seem to be many vacancies? Can anyone recommend any courses?
woah-revision
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya

I actually went with the Harriet Ellis course. It's an NEBDN National Diploma in Dental Nursing.

You have to give a deposit to secure a space. I think it was £500 -£700. Then you have a little while to pay the rest. Though you can contact them and find out for sure. Conrad dealt with my registration. I don't know if he does all of them or only some of them. My course started in October last year. I've now finished my ROE and I'm due to sit my written exam in November this year.

I will tell you about my experience with them. The classes are once a week in the evening. It's the same time/day/place every time.

Tutor wise...well it depends on who you get. I've met three of them and they were all experienced (as one would hope!). They could explain things and help you out. So on that front its fine.

We went through a powerpoint during the lesson (e.g. radiography). The tutor would exlpain things, give examples, talk from experience etc in this time. The powerpoint was emailed to us after the lesson. Sometimes the next day or a few days after or the day of the next lesson. One person at head office emailed them to us and she wasn't very consistent.

At my second lesson, I got a levison's textbook for dental nurses by Carole Hollins and Questions and Answers for dental nurses by Carole Hollins. I didn't have to pay extra for these which was good. These books have been very helpful to me; the levison's during the study period of the course and the questions and answers during the revision part.

They say that you need to attend 80% of lessons. Otherwise you can't sit your exam or something. I don't know whether they actually enforce that or not.

ROE = Record of Experience. Coursework basically. There are 21 Supplementary Outcomes (SOs) and about 45 Personal Experience Records (PERs). The SOs you can do even if you're not working in a practice. You need to be working in a dental practice ( 14-16 hours a week minimum)to do the PERs. There are deadlines for getting a work placement/job at a dental practice if you don't already have one and for submitting your ROE.

Your ROE will be marked by the tutor you have lessons with or a different tutor (who you email your work to). The tutor will tell you if and where your work needs improvements. Once the tutor gives you the ok, you upload it online on the NEBDN ROE section (you will need to have a login to the website before you can do this. I found a witness at my work place, filled out a form with her details and then sent it to harriett ellis. After about a couple of weeks I got my login and could start uploading work).

Once you upload a piece of work, your witness and then your tutor have 14 days to mark it. If it goes over the time limit, you just upload it again. The PERs are repetitive. You can copy and paste bits from one PER to the other as you're explaining the same thing again.
e
Erm..I think that's about it?

I tried to get a job first where they could provide me with a free course. But that wasn't happening. I got sick of it and decided to go with Harriet Ellis. Not gonna lie, I probably could have tried harder. But oh well. Also, if you go with Harriet Ellis, you have to do your own job hunting. They don't help you in that regard.

Paying this much for the course was not my first option. But after spending that much money on it, it's good motivation for doing your best and passing everything on the first try lol
ChelseaFan76
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am also with Harriet Ellis. I am studying online rather than the classroom and so I suppose my experience is a little different. I am due to sit the exam next April.

Basically, instead of lessons I get access to an online classroom. You login and read all of the information there. It's pretty easy to use and I have had no problems with it. I also get a tutor but I can only contact her online. This is ok though as she answers quickly. I am actually very happy with her support. She is marking my RoE and I agree it is really repetitive.

I have actually had a bit more help with the job front. They helped me with my CV and gave me tips for the interviews. I applied to a couple of positions on their jobs portal and got interviews, however I actually got a job closer to home from my own leg work. This was not their fault just a bonus for me .

My customer service officer is lovely and always there to help me out. I will admit that they are sometimes very busy, but they are open until 7:30pm so I can usually catch someone.

I think it's up to you on how your experience is. I have enjoyed it but some of my fellow students have complained. I don't know why because I can't imagine that we have different jobs portals or different materials. The books and everything are the same. Maybe people expect to pass without any effort because it is lots of information? I feel confident that I will pass ok first time and I would recommend others to them so it can't be bad.
christena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all, I am also with Harriet Ellis, doing the online course. I will be sitting my written exam in November. I was wondering if you may know of any sites where I could get pass exam paper?
ChelseaFan76
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know if there are any websites like that. Have you got the Q&A book. I think that is supposed to be a really good way to practice.
NewGirlInTown78
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChelseaFan76)
I am also with Harriet Ellis. I am studying online rather than the classroom and so I suppose my experience is a little different. I am due to sit the exam next April.

Basically, instead of lessons I get access to an online classroom. You login and read all of the information there. It's pretty easy to use and I have had no problems with it. I also get a tutor but I can only contact her online. This is ok though as she answers quickly. I am actually very happy with her support. She is marking my RoE and I agree it is really repetitive.

I have actually had a bit more help with the job front. They helped me with my CV and gave me tips for the interviews. I applied to a couple of positions on their jobs portal and got interviews, however I actually got a job closer to home from my own leg work. This was not their fault just a bonus for me .

My customer service officer is lovely and always there to help me out. I will admit that they are sometimes very busy, but they are open until 7:30pm so I can usually catch someone.

I think it's up to you on how your experience is. I have enjoyed it but some of my fellow students have complained. I don't know why because I can't imagine that we have different jobs portals or different materials. The books and everything are the same. Maybe people expect to pass without any effort because it is lots of information? I feel confident that I will pass ok first time and I would recommend others to them so it can't be bad.
Dear Chelsea,

Would you reccommend HE when it comes to helping with finding a practice?? How is it helpful that job portal of theirs?? Is it worth the money - As I was thinking of them to do it online?
ChelseaFan76
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NewGirlInTown78)
Dear Chelsea,

Would you reccommend HE when it comes to helping with finding a practice?? How is it helpful that job portal of theirs?? Is it worth the money - As I was thinking of them to do it online?
HI Newgirl, I would recommend them. I think you get out of it what you put into it. I have enjoyed my course and I found a placement. Their job portal is easy to use and I did get an interview from one of the jobs on there. But you do need to look yourself. Quite a few of the practices don't advertise their because they want you to go direct. Like my practice. They don't advertise because they feel dedicated people will come to them, which is true I suppose. We are always able to replace staff and yet never advertise jobs. So they do everything they can but it is a joint effort. You can't rely on them. But you have a much better chance than not having their help at all.

So yes I would recommend, I am also going to study withe them for Radiography when I qualify because I would definitely study with them again.
toomuchrevision
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did you find the exam i am sitting mine in 2 weeks ..what were the questions like ? Was it really hard and did u pass?
toomuchrevision
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChelseaFan76)

How did you find the exam? Was the Q&A book helpful ? Was the exam hard what were the questions like am stresssing so much ..did you pass?
toomuchrevision
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by woah-revision)
Hiya

I actually went with the Harriet Ellis course. It's an NEBDN National Diploma in Dental Nursing.

You have to give a deposit to secure a space. I think it was £500 -£700. Then you have a little while to pay the rest. Though you can contact them and find out for sure. Conrad dealt with my registration. I don't know if he does all of them or only some of them. My course started in October last year. I've now finished my ROE and I'm due to sit my written exam in November this year.

I will tell you about my experience with them. The classes are once a week in the evening. It's the same time/day/place every time.

Tutor wise...well it depends on who you get. I've met three of them and they were all experienced (as one would hope!). They could explain things and help you out. So on that front its fine.

We went through a powerpoint during the lesson (e.g. radiography). The tutor would exlpain things, give examples, talk from experience etc in this time. The powerpoint was emailed to us after the lesson. Sometimes the next day or a few days after or the day of the next lesson. One person at head office emailed them to us and she wasn't very consistent.

At my second lesson, I got a levison's textbook for dental nurses by Carole Hollins and Questions and Answers for dental nurses by Carole Hollins. I didn't have to pay extra for these which was good. These books have been very helpful to me; the levison's during the study period of the course and the questions and answers during the revision part.

They say that you need to attend 80% of lessons. Otherwise you can't sit your exam or something. I don't know whether they actually enforce that or not.

ROE = Record of Experience. Coursework basically. There are 21 Supplementary Outcomes (SOs) and about 45 Personal Experience Records (PERs). The SOs you can do even if you're not working in a practice. You need to be working in a dental practice ( 14-16 hours a week minimum)to do the PERs. There are deadlines for getting a work placement/job at a dental practice if you don't already have one and for submitting your ROE.

Your ROE will be marked by the tutor you have lessons with or a different tutor (who you email your work to). The tutor will tell you if and where your work needs improvements. Once the tutor gives you the ok, you upload it online on the NEBDN ROE section (you will need to have a login to the website before you can do this. I found a witness at my work place, filled out a form with her details and then sent it to harriett ellis. After about a couple of weeks I got my login and could start uploading work).

Once you upload a piece of work, your witness and then your tutor have 14 days to mark it. If it goes over the time limit, you just upload it again. The PERs are repetitive. You can copy and paste bits from one PER to the other as you're explaining the same thing again.
e

I tried to get a job first where they could provide me with a free course. But that wasn't happening. I got sick of it and decided to go with Harriet Ellis. Not gonna lie, I probably could have tried harder. But oh well. Also, if you go with Harriet Ellis, you have to do your own job hunting. They don't help you in that regard.

Paying this much for the course was not my first option. But after spending that much money on it, it's good motivation for doing your best and passing everything on the first try lol
What was the dental nursing exam like i am with harriet ellis sitting my exam soon and im really stressed as there are no past papers to practice from. What are the questions like was it really hard? What books are useful. And did you pass?
toomuchrevision
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by christena)
Hi all, I am also with Harriet Ellis, doing the online course. I will be sitting my written exam in November. I was wondering if you may know of any sites where I could get pass exam paper?
Did you manage to find any past papers? Ive got my exam soon amy tips? Was it really hard?
NewGirlInTown78
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toomuchrevision)
How did you find the exam i am sitting mine in 2 weeks ..what were the questions like ? Was it really hard and did u pass?
I am aswell going for an exam in 2 weeks so let's see... I was with different course provider, not perfect but good enough I guess nd hopefully I will pass.now in November so I can focus on OSCEE's
toomuchrevision
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NewGirlInTown78)
I am aswell going for an exam in 2 weeks so let's see... I was with different course provider, not perfect but good enough I guess nd hopefully I will pass.now in November so I can focus on OSCEE's
Where are you sitting yours? How are you revising? Im using levisons and the Q&A book ...me too i want to pass so i can concentraye on the osces and good luck!!
Raven008
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before you think of Dental Nursing I think it is fair to warn you that it's a really poorly paid job that requires a lot from you and your studies to daily duties. Once you qualify your wage might go up by a couple of pennies. To put it into perspective you will earn more as a trash collector or shop assistant.

I've had a few friends go through Harriet Ellis and they all come out with the same views and opinions .... it is very expensive for the service they offer not worth it. There are other providers that offer cheaper courses. Also you need to find your own job if you don't by the given deadline you will be kicked off with no refund or pay for an extension in the range of 600 GBP. If you really want to do this, go for it.... but you will earn a lot more doing something else. I personally know people who earn less than 8000 a year SHOCKING right... and some who have been doing it over 8 years and barely making 12 000 a year. Another thing is you need to do CPD , get insurance again you will always be coughing up cash and making scraps !!! It's a waste of time and money. You won't get any recognition you deserve nor does the BDA OR GDC care about you as a dental nurse. Legally by law if your 25+ you should be on 7.20 p/h from April 2017 7.50 p/h that is the law and minimum wage which is fine for a trainee but once qualified not much changes it's disgusting. If your under 25 you can get anything from 4.20 p/h - 6.20p/h shameful

Just a warning to all those people looking to do this job and letting training providers take your hard earn money for nothing.

2016 article on the topic why are dental nurses paid so low?

http://www.nature.com/articles/bdjteam2016152
joannasmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Harriet Ellis is great I am glad I chose them x
elsss26
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by woah-revision)
Hiya

e

This post has really helped me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.98%
Financial worries (57)
6.95%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.63%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.93%

Watched Threads