The Student Room Group

Can I apply Oxbridge Simultaneously!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swopnil
Do you know if you are allowed to apply to 2 courses at camb or oxf? Eg. Medicine and natsci at Cambridge at the same time.
Someone at the UCAS convention said no but I'm just double checking. Anyone know?

Yes. You can't.
Reply 21
Original post by Goods
organ scholar*

What do you mean by organ scholar??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
You can apply to both for a master or a PhD.
Reply 24
I thank to all of them, who give their opinions,

Conclusion: it is true, but it is really disappointing me simultaneously :frown:(( ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Plagioclase
Nope, you can only apply to one of them if you're applying for your first undergraduate degree (unless you're applying for an organ scholarship as far as I know). This makes sense - most people applying to Oxford would probably also apply to Cambridge if they had the chance and vice versa, so the universities would have to interview twice as many people so it simply isn't feasible.

Only for humanities. For sciences, it's generally A*A*A at Cambridge and A*AA at Oxford (although an increasing number of sciences at Oxford are asking for A*A*A). But yes, Cambridge generally has higher offers.

Organ Scholar means one who get scholarship from any trust or organisation.. plz confirm me again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M.Adnan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford and Cambridge colleges employ undergraduates to play college organ music, and help run and train their choirs. Potential organ scholars are allowed to apply to both universities, but you would have to be an outstanding musician - probably a likely professional.
Original post by M.Adnan
Organ Scholar means one who get scholarship from any trust or organisation..

No it doesn't.
The rough statistics from the year that my daughter applied (from memory):

17400 applicants
9900 interviewees
3300 offers made

To open both universities to the same applicants would be a huge strain on the colleges.
Original post by M.Adnan

Posted from TSR Mobile

It means you're a pro at handling your organ

Spoiler

Reply 30
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
This is true. I don't think you can apply to both universities. It would be stupid anyway as if you miss your firm (which would be one of the two presumably), you would be likely to miss your insurance as well.

On the other hand, it would give applicants twice the opportunities of snagging an Oxbridge offer. And if you got offers from both, chances are you'd get an offer from a suitable alternative insurance university as well, in which case you could reject one of the Oxbridge offers in favour of that insurance.
Reply 32
What about International Applicant, I read at TSR, they are exempted from this restriction..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl
People think they're better because they say they're better. The exclusivity of the applications helps this impression they are better.

No, people think they're better because there is a significant amount of evidence suggesting that they are better. Better teaching (more contact hours due to supervision systems, for example), the sheer amount of academics means you can get significantly more modular choice (Cambridge Maths offers 35 different courses to choose in 3rd year; precious few universities come close). The wealth of the universities means that they are extremely well equipped, and let's not forget that the universities actually push you very hard.

Applications are exclusive so that interviews can happen, and interviews are by far the most important part of the selection process.
Original post by M.Adnan
What about International Applicant, I read at TSR, they are exempted from this restriction.

The same rules apply.
Reply 35
Original post by TurboCretin
On the other hand, it would give applicants twice the opportunities of snagging an Oxbridge offer. And if you got offers from both, chances are you'd get an offer from a suitable alternative insurance university as well, in which case you could reject one of the Oxbridge offers in favour of that insurance.

Oxford gives lower offers... Most would firm Cambridge and insure Oxford... The result would mean that oxford would have to massively over offer when at the moment both are near 100% acceptance rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Good bloke
The same rules apply.

Ok thanx!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you play the organ and would like to be an organ scholar then you can
Original post by callum_law
Where Oxford offers are AAA

This isn't true..
Original post by CaitlinDy
If you play the organ and would like to be an organ scholar then you can

There is a bit more to it in terms of ability than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending