Business and management with NO maths?????? (HELP)

Watch
Chocolate1250
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What subjects should I take for Alevel to do Business and management at University.

So far I know I want to do Economics and Geography.

Will I be able to do this without maths??
Samantha01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im doing business management a uni starting in september. they dont say a particular degree is needed but if you have economics or maths or business or IT. you will be fine to do business management at uni
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Business studies
Econmics
Gography
Maths A level
Travel and tourism
Chocolate1250
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samantha01)
Im doing business management a uni starting in september. they dont say a particular degree is needed but if you have economics or maths or business or IT. you will be fine to do business management at uni
Oh that's great! Thanks for the information,
is there anything in particular you want to go into after you get your degree?
I wanted to do maybe marketing.
Chocolate1250
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
Business studies
Econmics
Gography
Maths A level
Travel and tourism
I don't really want to do Maths as I'm not that good at it, or Business studies as it's considered a soft subject or 'blacklisted' subject at a lot of uni's.
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chocolate1250)
I don't really want to do Maths as I'm not that good at it, or Business studies as it's considered a soft subject or 'blacklisted' subject at a lot of uni's.
No, you can still get into uni when doing Business studies, it will lay you a foundation and be a stepping stone.

Khanthebrit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does your school not offer the course 'Business and Economics'? It is different from just 'business studies', in the fact that, yep you guessed it, economics is also involved (maybe not to a degree like it would be in Pure A level Economics). I am thoroughly enjoying it right now and intend to take it further in my career. Some may regard it as 'soft' but obviously if you apply for a business course it is going to be fairly strong, yet on the other hand if you are applying for a science course or something out of the business range it can be considered soft.

Even if you don't decide to go to University, I see it as a good A level to have. It can teach you the basics to the theory of business. I say 'theory'. In my opinion, no matter how much studying you have done, to learn the most out of business and to be considered a 'good business man' involves practically managing, running and establishing a business.
Chocolate1250
Rep:
?
(Original post by Khanthebrit)
Does your school not offer the course 'Business and Economics'? It is different from just 'business studies', in the fact that, yep you guessed it, economics is also involved (maybe not to a degree like it would be in Pure A level Economics). I am thoroughly enjoying it right now and intend to take it further in my career. Some may regard it as 'soft' but obviously if you apply for a business course it is going to be fairly strong, yet on the other hand if you are applying for a science course or something out of the business range it can be considered soft.

Even if you don't decide to go to University, I see it as a good A level to have. It can teach you the basics to the theory of business. I say 'theory'. In my opinion, no matter how much studying you have done, to learn the most out of business and to be considered a 'good business man' involves practically managing, running and establishing a business.
No my school does not offer that course, they only do economics and business studies as separate subjects.
Thanks for the information though, it has made me realise what you said is true about it being soft but useful for this degree.

Still not sure if I will be doing business studies though, if you don't mind me asking, what career and position are you planning on exactly going towards?
Samantha01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh that's great! Thanks for the information,
is there anything in particular you want to go into after you get your degree?
I wanted to do maybe marketing.
Not sure yet a bit of it all but maybe a bit more finance
CharlieK94
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What subjects should I take for Alevel to do Business and management at University.

So far I know I want to do Economics and Geography.

Will I be able to do this without maths??
I studied a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Business Studies - rather than A-Levels.

It was much more beneficial for me as the BTEC based coursework prepared me for the type of work I am doing at university. A-Levels are more examination based, where as a Business Management degree is essay based, just like a BTEC course.

My BTEC course had a nice mixture of maths in it too - and providing you work hard enough, it is easier to achieve more UCAS points.

This is coming from a personal experience
Khanthebrit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No my school does not offer that course, they only do economics and business studies as separate subjects.
Thanks for the information though, it has made me realise what you said is true about it being soft but useful for this degree.

Still not sure if I will be doing business studies though, if you don't mind me asking, what career and position are you planning on exactly going towards?
My highest ambition is to become the CEO of a company. Very high of course, but I strive to obtain an executive position in business. I do enjoy marketing and how businesses operate, but personally, the big thing I like about it is competition. To be successful, you need to out compete your competitors (unless of course you operate in a monopoly).

I've also had ideas of establishing my own business, but I would like to learn a little bit more before proceeding with that idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.27%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.18%
I still don't know (93)
16.55%

Watched Threads