What do I call non-Caucasian people? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I find that saying black is offensive to some, coloured is offensive to many, african is offensive to a lot, and the n word is offensive to most.

So what the heck do I call someone without being called racist?!
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I find that saying black is offensive to some, coloured is offensive to many, african is offensive to a lot, and the n word is offensive to most.

So what the heck do I call someone without being called racist?!
Seems to be what most black people call each other from what I see in day to day life, so, I just role with it. =l

I have never got in trouble over it before.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
how is "coloured" offensive? the NAACP uses the word "coloured" in its organisation name, so how is it racist when *they* use it?
Valyrian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
how is "coloured" offensive? the NAACP uses the word "coloured" in its organisation name, so how is it racist when *they* use it?
I've actually been told many a time that my black friends don't like being called coloured so idk
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have yet to meet a fellow black person who is offended when they're called "black"....that's just ridiculous. Colored is fine although I personally think it's just dumb, African is fine if it's actually an African (the whole lumping African & Caribbean together is super lame & lazy imo), and yeah the n word is never a good idea with most of us 😂 Apparently black British people also find "negro" offensive, can't for the life of me understand that one, I've never been bothered by it.

TL;DR: Depends on the person and how well you know them, some people are mega sensitive children so just refer to them by some other trait than their race. Other people are way more chill so whatever they let you get away with
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It implies that white people are "not coloured", basically splitting every ethnic minority from white people, and it was used in the apartheid-era where everyone non-white was deemed as inferior and had less rights and were segregated and so on.
Asurat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's coloured though? Everything that isn't white? I thought that the UK standard was whatever appears in the census (black, white, yellow, brown) and that's what's generally accepted. Anybody that gets offended can do one.
drowzee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I use POC, I think that's the correct term but I'm not sure.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheBBQ)
It implies that white people are "not coloured", basically splitting every ethnic minority from white people, and it was used in the apartheid-era where everyone non-white was deemed as inferior and had less rights and were segregated and so on.
in a modern day context, in the western world, where the majority of people are white, I don't think it's meant with any racism at all. I think you're misinterpreting its usage completely. what would be a better term than "coloured"? simply "black", "indian", "chinese", "hispanic", etc?
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
in a modern day context, in the western world, where the majority of people are white, I don't think it's meant with any racism at all. I think you're misinterpreting its usage completely. what would be a better term than "coloured"? simply "black", "indian", "chinese", "hispanic", etc?
It's the historical usage I guess. Yes, those terms are much better instead of just lumping every non-white ethnicity into one. We like to have a bit of individuality. Using the word "colour" creates an unnecessary divide between ethnic minorities and white people, and it can definitely be taken offensively.
Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
I have yet to meet a fellow black person who is offended when they're called "black"....that's just ridiculous. Colored is fine although I personally think it's just dumb, African is fine if it's actually an African (the whole lumping African & Caribbean together is super lame & lazy imo), and yeah the n word is never a good idea with most of us 😂 Apparently black British people also find "negro" offensive, can't for the life of me understand that one, I've never been bothered by it.

TL;DR: Depends on the person and how well you know them, some people are mega sensitive children so just refer to them by some other trait than their race. Other people are way more chill so whatever they let you get away with
Because that's the word almost exclusively used by slavers to dehumanise black people and make the atrocities they committed against them seem morally acceptable, while the other n-word has become part of popular culture and is often used with non-malicious intentions.
alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Because that's the word almost exclusively used by slavers to dehumanise black people and make the atrocities they committed against them seem morally acceptable, while the other n-word has become part of popular culture and is often used with non-malicious intentions.
You must be trolling because surely it's common knowledge that it was the actual n-word that was used this way, not "negro". And despite the widespread use of the word in a lot of music, it's "often" used maliciously, even within black circles. I honestly don't know which dark place you pulled the idea that it's part of pop culture...let Taylor Swift use it in a song and we'll see what happens :naughty:
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
erm.... how about we stick with 'black people'? or people of colour. :erm:
Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You must be trolling because surely it's common knowledge that it was the actual n-word that was used this way, not "negro". And despite the widespread use of the word in a lot of music, it's "often" used maliciously, even within black circles. I honestly don't know which dark place you pulled the idea that it's part of pop culture...let Taylor Swift use it in a song and we'll see what happens :naughty:
Both were used during the slave trade. Popular culture does not mean pop-music culture, lmao. I didn't say the n-word is never used maliciously, just that it is often used with non-racist connotations, while generally in the past 'negro' has only been used by rich, white, racist scumbags.

Get off your pretentious high horse and read more carefully next time. Thanks.
StrangeBanana
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If they're black call them black
If they're brown call them mixed-race

(Unless they're Indian then just call them Indian)
K.C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Valyrian)
I've actually been told many a time that my black friends don't like being called coloured so idk
wat black friends
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
black is fine

coloured and n - I can completely understand why offense is taken

A bit off topic but I found this hilarious :lol:

niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

people call you negro? lol
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by K.C)
wat black friends
not u
alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Both were used during the slave trade. Popular culture does not mean pop-music culture, lmao. I didn't say the n-word is never used maliciously, just that it is often used with non-racist connotations, while generally in the past 'negro' has only been used by rich, white, racist scumbags.

Get off your pretentious high horse and read more carefully next time. Thanks.
😂😂😂😂
You said often isn't used maliciously, I know from personal experience and the experiences of those around me it often is. And I guess we just have different definitions of popular culture then, to me music is one of the biggest indicators of it I'm not saying negro wasn't used or that it wasn't used rudely, just that it was people taking a somewhat ok term and adding a negative connotation. The other one was pure malice and intended to dehumanize them like you said earlier. To me negro is just caucasian for black people, literally have yet to meet an black American who cares

(Original post by niceguy95)
people call you negro? lol
All my black friends do, all my white friends can (but most are too scared haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise