Mr.Samba
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am starting my EPQ today, and was wondering how the monitoring for plagiarism worked. The reason for this is because I was going to paraphrase a quote from a book, obviously referencing the source.

However, as the exam boards use plagiarism detectors I was wondering what would happen if I contained a healthy amount of paraphrasing and phrases in my essay. By this I don't mean every paragraph and sentence, but a few on each page perhaps. As the detectors wouldn't notice the referencing then wouldn't they just see my document as being heavily paraphrased, or does this not matter?

I would never copy work without referencing, and would never copy more than a full sentence.

So basically, how does the exam board monitor plagiarism?
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AFAIK, EPQs aren't sent off for plagiarism checks in the same way that things like personal statements are. When I did mine it was marked by our supervisor, with a couple from the year being sent off for moderation. You'll be fine if you aren't blatantly copying someone else's work.
MathHysteria
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Plagiarism detection software does no more than say "this looks like it might have been plagiarised to me" (by examining the content and comparing it with a massive database of published material and work its seen before). Any work which is flagged is then checked by a person, so as long as you've referenced it properly you'll be absolutely fine.
ThePhoenixLament
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As you're referencing it should be absolutely fine. I think a guideline is you can get away with up to 7% copied by various plagiarism scanners (but use a free one if you're worried)- but that's without referencing. That's not me endorsing copying but don't worry so much!
danniegee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should be OK as long as you reference properly - in fact, you'll lose a lot of marks if you don't show that you've used a range of sources, so it's a very good idea to have a healthy amount of evidence. Use the information you find as a springboard for an argument
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.47%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.05%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads