The Student Room Group

Anatomy and Physiology Exam (First Year Nursing Student)

Hi guys. Just want to ask if anyone has done an A and P MCQ type of exam, particularly nursing students? I study at York University and we have to learn 8 systems , which is a lot. I am struggling right now because I know that I could not manage to memorise all the bits and bobs in just 6-7 weeks , as I am in placement as well mostly Mon-Fri! Can someone give me tips on what to study in particular? I mean they told us that its the basics of each system. Does it mean that I do not have to study the illnesses/ abnormalities associated with each system? Please second year/ third students, kinda need your advice! Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by seryiu13
Hi guys. Just want to ask if anyone has done an A and P MCQ type of exam, particularly nursing students? I study at York University and we have to learn 8 systems , which is a lot. I am struggling right now because I know that I could not manage to memorise all the bits and bobs in just 6-7 weeks , as I am in placement as well mostly Mon-Fri! Can someone give me tips on what to study in particular? I mean they told us that its the basics of each system. Does it mean that I do not have to study the illnesses/ abnormalities associated with each system? Please second year/ third students, kinda need your advice! Thanks

Hey!
I've just finished 1st year and we had to do exactly the same! We had to learn 8 systems, the structure and function if the system and then the social side, do how the function of the lungs go in relation to copd or asthma for example. Or what is the structure of the liver, and then how to assist and give advice to someone who is abusing alcohol.
So don't panic about learning every little detail, but do try to learn them.
Make up small cue cards and redraw the system over and over again for example so you can learn that there are 2 lungs, they're surrounded by the ribcage and there's a pleural membrane etc etc.
This is where you find its easier doing this as you go rather than all in one go in the run up to exams!
Try to look at the digestive, it's made up of mouth to the stomach to intestines etc and then learn about peristalsis and then how this aids in digestion.
Then you have the endocrine, how this works with fight or flight, puberty etc.
YouTube is great for videos if you find that helps with revision.
But don't worry about all the finer details, you'll know more than you realise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'd say the same as the previous post, just do cue cards which you can keep reading over. You'll be surprised at how much you actually remember when you get into the exam.

I used the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for student nurses resources online and they were super helpful, so maybe have a look at those! As long as you know the systems generally, most of the time you can eliminate some answers and then make a guess if you're not sure :smile:

Good luck! Xx
Reply 3
thank you so much for your replies.. some of my friends told me to based my revision on the powerpoint presentations used in lectures..anyway, i've been making notes now, not really a fan of cue cards, because I find it quite effortful to make them.

P.S. the exam is negatively marked, meaning they will take a point off you every time you chose a wrong answer, so guessing is not a good idea :/
P.S. the exam is negatively marked, meaning they will take a point off you every time you chose a wrong answer, so guessing is not a good idea :/

I don't quite understand that last bit! If you get it wrong, you're not going to get the mark. Isn't that a normal way of marking exams? If you don't know the answer make an educated guess and it might be correct. You can buy cuelflash cards. Kaplan Medical do them.
Original post by lilibet01

I don't quite understand that last bit! If you get it wrong, you're not going to get the mark. Isn't that a normal way of marking exams? If you don't know the answer make an educated guess and it might be correct. You can buy cuelflash cards. Kaplan Medical do them.

No. It means that if they have 5 questions correct and 5 wrong they end up with 0 marks. 5 marks for correct answers, then as they got 5 wrong, 5 points are deducted from them.
So basically, they have to know their stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
crikey!
Original post by hevjc
Hi guys :smile: I'm starting Nursing in September at University of York and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what science I need to brush up on? I have looked at the module descriptors to try and work out when I'll be doing heavy science and I can't.

Also if anyone could give me an idea of what a weekly timetable is like when at Uni that would be great! Trying to work out how I'm going to keep my job!

I'm also starting at York this September :smile: are you in the Facebook groups or chat yet?
All unis are different re timetable, we were in 9-4pm 3 days, then we had clinical skills/manual handling/reflective study split over the other 2 days, we did A&P so human biology is a good place to brush up on. Re working, when your on placement, forget it! Most students who need to work go on the bank to pick up shifts when they can during uni time, but placements you follow your mentors shifts so working if near impossible.
I bought 'nurses! Test yourself in anatomy and physiology' from amazon, it was my life saver, honestly the best revision guide you could have for first year and also last minute revision!
Reply 10
Original post by deviant182

No. It means that if they have 5 questions correct and 5 wrong they end up with 0 marks. 5 marks for correct answers, then as they got 5 wrong, 5 points are deducted from them.
So basically, they have to know their stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, thats how it works in University of York exams in first year nursing... if you got one wrong answer, they will deduct one point as well... For example, say you out of 10 marks, you got 6 correct answers and 4 wrong answers, they will deduct 4 points off the 6 marks that you've got, meaning you will only have 2 marks overall...so yeah , guessing is not really an option
Reply 11
Original post by Skrittles
I'm also starting at York this September :smile: are you in the Facebook groups or chat yet?

I'm at York at the moment, doing adult nursing. There will be lots of facebook groups for that you can join in, once you started the course.
Reply 12
Original post by hevjc
Hi guys :smile: I'm starting Nursing in September at University of York and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what science I need to brush up on? I have looked at the module descriptors to try and work out when I'll be doing heavy science and I can't.

Also if anyone could give me an idea of what a weekly timetable is like when at Uni that would be great! Trying to work out how I'm going to keep my job!

Im doing adult nursing in University of York at the moment. I will give you a heads up the modules we are doing on first year. Temr 1, we had 2 essays (public health and communication), term 2 we had placement and a presentation along that, term 3, back to uni , preparing for 2 essays ( professional identity and good nurse) and 2 exams ( health and safety and anatomy and physiology) , term 4 (which I am on right now) another placement and along that deadline for essay submissions and taking exams.

I just want to give you a tip, not to do your works at the last minute..really regretted that, because I am way too struggling especially for this A and P exam, because I havent done any biology on A levels
Reply 13
[QUOTE="nkbarker176;57977073"]Hey! I'd say the same as the previous post, just do cue cards which you can keep reading over. You'll be surprised at how much you actually remember when you get into the exam.

I used the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for student nurses resources online and they were super helpful, so maybe have a look at those! As long as you know the systems generally, most of the time you can eliminate some answers and then make a guess if you're not sure :smile:

Good luck! Xx[/QUOTE

hi you mentioned the book a and p above, who wrote it, please,
aany more simpler books that are straight forward tomread and use for exams please guys
[QUOTE="tiaa911;59682553"]
Original post by nkbarker176
Hey! I'd say the same as the previous post, just do cue cards which you can keep reading over. You'll be surprised at how much you actually remember when you get into the exam.

Good luck! Xx[/QUOTE

hi you mentioned the book a and p above, who wrote it, please,
aany more simpler books that are straight forward tomread and use for exams please guys

Anatomy and physiology made incredibly easy is pretty simply written:smile:
Literally the only way I am understanding any of this. I think it's John Greens brother.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOAKed_MxxWBNaPno5h3Zs8
Reply 16
Hi I know this page is kind of old. I am a first year nursing student at University of Salford and have not been told this is the marking system here. Do they have to tell you if this is the way it is marked? Do different uni's mark the exam differently? ahhhh i hope not!!
Reply 17
Hi... Do you know what percentage you have to get correct to pass the anatomy exam ? thanks
Reply 18
Original post by nkbarker176

Good luck! Xx

HI.... do you know what percentage you have to get correct to pass this exam?
thanks
is the test multiple choice?

Latest