The Student Room Group

A levels for economics degree

I want to do economics (hopefully) at a russell group uni and these are my gcse predicted grades
Maths A* Science A*A English lang A lit B ICT A French B Economics B

The a level subjects i want to pick from are : Maths further maths(cant do with accounting due to option blocks) economics physics biology chemistry french computing accounting
i was thinking either of these options:
maths economics accounting french (where i drop french if it gets too hard which it probably will or if not drop accounting)
OR
maths further maths economics physics/chemistry (where i drop further maths at AS)

which should i do as option one i think i can get an ABA with a C at french AS
and option two i think i will get ABB/C with a B in further maths AS
which pathway should i choose
help with my a level choices will be really appreciated
Original post by youreanutter
I want to do economics (hopefully) at a russell group uni and these are my gcse predicted grades

The a level subjects i want to pick from are : Maths further maths(cant do with accounting due to option blocks) economics physics biology chemistry french computing accounting
maths economics accounting french (where i drop french if it gets too hard which it probably will or if not drop accounting)
OR
maths further maths economics physics/chemistry (where i drop further maths at AS)

For economics, it's good to see you're doing maths - lots of unis like that and several make it a requirement.
Further maths likely to be more use than accounting for an economics course, but if you want to consider courses w/ accounting in instead of econ, choose accounting. I'm not sure how some unis may feel about having both econ and accounting a-levels , which may have overlapping content? You probably know more about the courses than me for this point.
Just wondering as your econ gcse grade is your lowest predicted grade - is there a reason for that - it might suggests econ isn't your greatest strength (or there might be a perfectly good reason idk)?
But if it's guaranteeing decent grades, and you're more likely to do that w/ option 1, then do it, but Im sure you can get decent grades w/ either option.
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

OR

Take double maths, economics and any other

OR

Accounting is not a facilitating subject for Russell Group unis.
https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/204/What-is-a-Facilitating-Subject

You'll need as much maths as possible to be a successful candidates for top universities, so Maths, FM, Economics are the must, I'd think.
I find it difficult to understand why they wouldn't put all of this in one block.

Mathematics

Further Mathematics

Economics

Choose either of these two:

Accounting

Government and Politics

Reply 5
maths is more important than economics at alevel, most unis will cover basic alevel economics in term one anyway. the other choices are up to you just make sure to take maths. An MFL would be really helpful and could open more doors in the future as well. also if physics is ocr b don't do it
Reply 6
Don't take accounting. It's considered to be a 'soft' subject at A-Level by russell group unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending