Likelihood of getting a JP role at 18?

Watch
JoeyLFC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What is the likelihood of getting a JP role at my local magistrates at the age of 18? I am really interested in getting involved in Law and my local community but will my age hold me back when applying for the role?
JoeyLFC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheCynicalOne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you go to your local Magistrates' court and speak to the staff there?
happyinthehaze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think JP's went out years ago. Do you mean a Magistrate? Are you asking if you can be a magistrate at 18?

You have ambition!! I can't see how an 18 year old magistrate would work at all, but perhaps you are someone who has considerable experience of the world already due to an adverse upbringing or something like this - just google how to be a magistrate and it will tell you the criteria for application. It is unlikely that you could be not considered because of your age as unless there is an exception for magistrates, then age cannot be considered in employment terms (I think) - but they will be looking for other experience and criteria - it is not a bad idea, but I would say, go and do some other stuff and come back to it later on - it is a tough environment.

in any case, get yourself down to your local mags and sit there all day watching - it is a bit of an eye opener!!

If you want to find out more about the Court system, then i would rec applying to the system for work experience; there are lots of opportunities in shadowing; looking after witnesses and so on; you may be able to shadow a judge or a clerk.

good luck

(Original post by JoeyLFC)
What is the likelihood of getting a JP role at my local magistrates at the age of 18? I am really interested in getting involved in Law and my local community but will my age hold me back when applying for the role?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.69%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
30.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
12.25%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.39%
I think it's an unfair expectation (53)
25.98%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.47%

Watched Threads