How are you going to balance your resits or how did you balance your resits? Watch

Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
Ok I know exams are over but I definitely know that I would like to re-sit some papers next year in year 13. Those also thinking about re-sits how are you going to balance everything out as you'll have A2 to think about? To those who may have re sat papers how did you balance everything? I'm trying to prepare myself over the summer.
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did quite a lot of resits but they always slotted into my time just fine, you just have to revise more /earlier but it's always easier second time round I wouldnt worry too much
Shanzii
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
Hey guys,
Ok I know exams are over but I definitely know that I would like to re-sit some papers next year in year 13. Those also thinking about re-sits how are you going to balance everything out as you'll have A2 to think about? To those who may have re sat papers how did you balance everything? I'm trying to prepare myself over the summer.
Heyy, I did 6 AS resits and 6 A2 exams this summer. You can easily balance both As and A2 but you just have to start revising from the start of year 13. The earlier you begin revising, the better trust me I know. Also, the AS resits will be much easier second time around as OP stated
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shanzii)
Heyy, I did 6 AS resits and 6 A2 exams this summer. You can easily balance both As and A2 but you just have to start revising from the start of year 13. The earlier you begin revising, the better trust me I know. Also, the AS resits will be much easier second time around as OP stated
6? Wow. Thank you.
My main worry is that I do not know the content well already from AS with the three subjects I'd like to take in A2. I feel like it would be doing three a levels in one year. I'm doing English lit, Physics and Chem but heard content overlaps with the last two choices.
Shanzii
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
6? Wow. Thank you.
My main worry is that I do not know the content well already from AS with the three subjects I'd like to take in A2. I feel like it would be doing three a levels in one year. I'm doing English lit, Physics and Chem but heard content overlaps with the last two choices.
Your welcome
The content from AS overlaps with A2 a lot. It's just more advanced really. Chemistry does overlap with Physics so I've heard. I did Biology, Chemistry & Psychology and they all overlapped at one point. But sciences do tend to overlap more.

Don't worry about it. When you start A2, you'll remember your AS knowledge trust me
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hevachan)
I did quite a lot of resits but they always slotted into my time just fine, you just have to revise more /earlier but it's always easier second time round I wouldnt worry too much
Thanks for the advice. Should I start now? It's summer holidays but thought I may as well start really looking into A2.
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice. Should I start now? It's summer holidays but thought I may as well start really looking into A2.
Yeah it'd definitely help but don't work so hard you burn out ^^
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
doing A2 physics i found that there was some overlap (on OCR anyway), but even if you didn't do well in AS exams I don't think it affects your ability to understand the a2 content. I got a D in the as mechanics module so i resat that (along with 3 maths modules) alongside my a2 exams. I always leave my revision until late, and I ended up just timetabling my study leave so I was spending 3/4 full days on each exam, making sure I completed every past paper. I managed to do ok, but if I would have started revising earlier it would have been a lot easier.

Personally I don't think it's worth revising for resits until it gets quite close to the actual exams unless you're going to be keeping the revision up throughout the whole year, as you'll just end up forgetting things and time will have been wasted where you could have been revising your A2 stuff.
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex621)
doing A2 physics i found that there was some overlap (on OCR anyway), but even if you didn't do well in AS exams I don't think it affects your ability to understand the a2 content. I got a D in the as mechanics module so i resat that (along with 3 maths modules) alongside my a2 exams. I always leave my revision until late, and I ended up just timetabling my study leave so I was spending 3/4 full days on each exam, making sure I completed every past paper. I managed to do ok, but if I would have started revising earlier it would have been a lot easier.

Personally I don't think it's worth revising for resits until it gets quite close to the actual exams unless you're going to be keeping the revision up throughout the whole year, as you'll just end up forgetting things and time will have been wasted where you could have been revising your A2 stuff.
Hmm, thank you.
I'm trying to decide though when I should begin throughout the year. I would like to work smartly not harder but the best possible way to retain knowledge. I'm doing OCR too. With Chemistry though, it seems like a whole different story- for example if you didn't understand organic chemistry at AS, you wouldn't be able to do it at A2 as it's a continuation from the basics you had learnt. So I don't know if I should only focus on AS Chem resit this summer then study for the AS physics resit later on in the year. I may resit for English lit but I think I have that covered. But thanks again your response, it was much appreciated.
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Hey Guys, thought I may ask this on here as well. Is it true that universities look down/ do not accept students who resat modules? It seems quite unfair, though I understand why they would favour someone who did well the first round. But this can't be true as many people have resat modules and still entered their first choice for uni...
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm, thank you.
I'm trying to decide though when I should begin throughout the year. I would like to work smartly not harder but the best possible way to retain knowledge. I'm doing OCR too. With Chemistry though, it seems like a whole different story- for example if you didn't understand organic chemistry at AS, you wouldn't be able to do it at A2 as it's a continuation from the basics you had learnt. So I don't know if I should only focus on AS Chem resit this summer then study for the AS physics resit later on in the year. I may resit for English lit but I think I have that covered. But thanks again your response, it was much appreciated.
no problem , and yeah I think it is a case of finding out what's best for you, as everyone will find that different ways of working will be more beneficial for them. I will say that I also did maths which had a mechanics module so that acted a bit like revision for physics, taking some of the pressure off of the resit...
Clytaemnestra
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did 2 AS resits, any more than that I'd feel it would have got on top of me
hasii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did 2 AS resits (Biology) and 6 A2 exams. Resits which actually really helped me because A2 Biology had synoptic links, and a few AS questions came up in the A2 exam. Having said that, I still think I messed up Biology :P lol
Shanzii
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Guys, thought I may ask this on here as well. Is it true that universities look down/ do not accept students who resat modules? It seems quite unfair, though I understand why they would favour someone who did well the first round. But this can't be true as many people have resat modules and still entered their first choice for uni...
They don't look down on those who resit modules. I'm not sure about Oxbridge but nearly all unis don't care about resits as long as you achieve their entry requirements really. If you resat year 12, then maybe they'd look down on that
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clytaemnestra)
I did 2 AS resits, any more than that I'd feel it would have got on top of me
Wow, is the workload that intense? I'd have to resit 4 or 5 modules but I'm so scared now...
Especially with English Literature that requires so much essay writing and planning.
Clytaemnestra
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow, is the workload that intense? I'd have to resit 4 or 5 modules but I'm so scared now...
Especially with English Literature that requires so much essay writing and planning.
It depends really, I studied Classical Civilisation, Geography and English Lang & Lit, the first 2 being really quite intense so my advice is just see how it goes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.52%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.94%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
23.81%
No and I wouldn't consider it (37)
58.73%

Watched Threads