Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Elecromagnetic Induction watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand Electromagnetic Induction, I'm doing my GCSE's. Will someone please explain it to me very simply? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A magnet has a magnetic field.

If you rotated a magnetic inside a coil of wire, then you are rotating the magnetic field.

The field is 'cut' by the wire, which creates a voltage in the wire.

...a very basic explanation! There's a good diagram with explanation about it here http://www.slcc.edu/schools/hum_sci/.../em_induction/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johncleaner)
    A magnet has a magnetic field.

If you rotated a magnetic inside a coil of wire, then you are rotating the magnetic field.

The field is 'cut' by the wire, which creates a voltage in the wire.

...a very basic explanation! There's a good diagram with explanation about it here http://www.slcc.edu/schools/hum_sci/.../em_induction/
    Thankyou but what I don't understand is what is meant by "cut"....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Thankyou but what I don't understand is what is meant by "cut"....
    Induction is probably the hardest bit of physics you're going to come across in secondary school. It's very hard to understand it completely at our level.

So, don't worry too much about it, learn your formulae and you'll be fine.

About the "cut"-part: Have you heard of magnetic flux?
    Induction is when an electromotric force appears which is due to a variation of the magnetic flux.

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult to explain it without a diagram.

All magnets have a magnetic field. This field is just a region of space where a force can act. If you rotate a magnet, then you are rotating the field. If this rotation happens within a coil of wires, then the field is going to be constantly 'hitting' the wire. This 'hitting' creates/induces a voltage in the wire, and so you have electromagnetic induction.

If you had a magnetic with a north pole, and a magnet with a south pole and you held them near each other they would attract. That's because they both have fields and the two fields touch each other so that the force can act to bring them together. So in induction, the rotating field attracts the electrons within the wire so making them move.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks...but I'm still confused! Do you think if I learn this definition it will suffice :

Electromagnetic induction is the creation of voltage (and maybe current) in a wire which is experiencing a change in magnetic field.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that wil be fine - you don't need to know anything in depth for GCSE science.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.