The Student Room Group

How to become an accountant?

I graduated last summer from university with a 2:1 classification in Business management. Have since been working as an apprentice accountant at a local firm, and have started doing an AAT course. Is it possible to skip the AAT and go straight to the ACCA? Or if I did a masters in accounting would that save me a few years in college? I feel as if My degree has counted for nothing and that I am starting from scratch. Any advice / information would be massively appreciated.
Original post by Rhiannon_owem
I graduated last summer from university with a 2:1 classification in Business management. Have since been working as an apprentice accountant at a local firm, and have started doing an AAT course. Is it possible to skip the AAT and go straight to the ACCA? Or if I did a masters in accounting would that save me a few years in college? I feel as if My degree has counted for nothing and that I am starting from scratch. Any advice / information would be massively appreciated.

As far as I'm aware you don't need AAT qualifications to do the ACCA, I think their entry requirement is simply 2 A levels or their own foundation courses if you don't have A levels, so you should be able to jump straight into it. As for your degree you can't do worse for having it, you have a broader wealth of knowledge and it still leaves doors open for future career choices.
What were your A-levels? If you achieved at least BBC (280 UCAS Points), you should not be doing AAT - you should be doing ACA/ACCA for someone with the pedigree of also having 2.1 with honours.
Hi Rhiannon,

It is possible to get qualified on the ACA after AAT as it works as a fast track into the ACA. Have you looked at graduate jobs in accountancy as they will put you through a professional qualification and usually let you choose which one you want to do.

Hope this helps a bit!
Original post by DueHurricane
What were your A-levels? If you achieved at least BBC (280 UCAS Points), you should not be doing AAT - you should be doing ACA/ACCA for someone with the pedigree of also having 2.1 with honours.

For ACCA you don't need any ucas points. You can also do the first part of ACA with out a training contract
Just to clarify what someone said above- AAT skips you only 4 of the first 6 multiple choice papers (not worth it if you ask me). I have AAT and ACA and chose not to take the exemptions and I'm glad I didn't, the next exams assume you know bits from those exams that definitely don't overlap with AAT! Similarly an accounting degree only skips you 3 of the first 6 and potentially 2 of the next level if your degree included business management and investment appraisal. Again would say not worth it (boyfriend chose not to take the exemptions). Remember you can only do ACA if you're employed with a registered provider- think you just need an ACA qualified sponsor at your work.
Can't you do it without a degree or an ACCA/AAT course? You can just register a company with company house and then fill out the money laundering form on the HMRC website, that way you're a legally registered accountant and you just need to find yourself some clients.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending