In God's eyes there is no male nor female

Watch
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Reading some bible passages this verse just jumped out at me.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise".

I think this is a strong reply to all who think man is above a woman.

No - God created us equal with different tasks in life to do according to our abilities.

This is also a strong reply to anyone who thinks their race or creed is above another's, NO we are all one in God's sight.

_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, this isn't quite the case in the churches. Most denominations do not allow female priests and -worse yet- women are not even allowed in the "holy part" of the temple.

That aside, there are other disgusting parts:

Timothy 2.12: I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.
Colossians 3.18: Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

And many others. People just need to understand that the Bible was written by people, is subjective and is definitely not infallible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by *Stefan*)
Well, this isn't quite the case in the churches. Most denominations do not allow female priests and -worse yet- women are not even allowed in the "holy part" of the temple.

That aside, there are other disgusting parts:

Timothy 2.12: I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.
Colossians 3.18: Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

And many others. People just need to understand that the Bible was written by people, is subjective and is definitely not infallible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
disgusting parts ehh, no just wrongly understood and taken out of context parts you need to read into the whole bible to understand the underlying message, bible study is called for.

For example

Previous verses show that the author Paul had just rebuked the men who were praying while angry and arguing.

This wasn't the best environment for anyone to learn in.

Paul tells Timothy to make sure the woman can learn in quiet or peacefulness, and not in the chaos that was taking over church meetings.

Paul also instructs that both MEN and women should learn in full submission to the gospel and sound teaching.

Here in this verse it is directed to women because teaching women in the same way as men was still a revolutionary and was not accepted by many men.

Instructions for Christian Households

18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

Marriage is a partnership. Both sides respecting and loving the other. Husbands are instructed, commanded, to love their wives. Love is sacrificial and unconditional.

Verses like this reflect God's love for us. His love is unconditional and a two way thing for us when we get to know who God is and his unfailing compassionate love, full of grace and mercy.

Christian marriage is a reflection of God and the church (ie the people as the people are the church not the building), we as the church submit to God and God loves us.

There is much more, I've only skimmed the surface.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
disgusting parts ehh, no just wrongly understood and taken out of context parts you need to read into the whole bible to understand the underlying message, bible study is called for.
Look, I believe you know I'm a Christian as well, though obviously only due to Jesus - I don't follow most of the Bible writers.

This is an excuse that is ALWAYS used. No. The verses are as clear as it gets.

For example

Previous verses show that the author Paul had just rebuked the men who were praying while angry and arguing.

This wasn't the best environment for anyone to learn in.

Paul tells Timothy to make sure the woman can learn in quiet or peacefulness, and not in the chaos that was taking over church meetings.

Paul also instructs that both MEN and women should learn in full submission to the gospel and sound teaching.

Here in this verse it is directed to women because teaching women in the same way as men was still a revolutionary and was not accepted by many men.
No, just NO!

This is taken way out of proportion - ie it fits your own idea of what it means.

"Timothy 2.12: I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man" - there isn't any other interpetation here other than what is clearly written.

In Greek: διδάσκειν δὲ γυναικὶ οὐκ ἐπιτρέπω οὐδὲ αὐθεντεῖν ἀνδρός

οὐκ ἐπιτρέπω (= do not allow) has a special force here, that of a forbidding power. "Not allow" is actually not sufficient to convey it's meaning, because it is indeed a lot more forceful.

In the same way, "αὐθεντεῖν" (have the role of leadership, or authority) is also very strong. It means to be a boss quite literally, and he rebukes this clearly.

Alas, the Greek words convey the meaning a lot more clearly, and that has certainly nothing to do with your version I'm afraid.

Instructions for Christian Households

18 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

Marriage is a partnership. Both sides respecting and loving the other. Husbands are instructed, commanded, to love their wives. Love is sacrificial and unconditional.

Verses like this reflect God's love for us. His love is unconditional and a two way thing for us when we get to know who God is and his unfailing compassionate love, full of grace and mercy.

Christian marriage is a reflection of God and the church (ie the people as the people are the church not the building), we as the church submit to God and God loves us.

There is much more, I've only skimmed the surface.
I'm afraid that this also doesn't change the core of the verse. Submit still means obey after all.

I don't have much time to discuss this right now, but I will definitely return later on.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is male and female. Recognising they're equal and have the same rights doesn't mean they're not different things.
hootkey shira
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
There is male and female. Recognising they're equal and have the same rights doesn't mean they're not different things.
Theyre defo not equal actually

Do you think males and females of other animals are equal too? Why are humans any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hootkey shira)
Theyre defo not equal actually

Do you think males and females of other animals are equal too? Why are humans any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why aren't they equal, Quantum?

Yes, but that's kind of off topic.
hootkey shira
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why aren't they equal, Quantum?

Yes, but that's kind of off topic.
They are fundamentally different physically and mentally

I dont think any person is equal to another.

Sounds bad to say this but some people are just better than others. That is life, that is biology :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there evidently is, one group has a penis, one group doesn't.

Another stupid religious ideology.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are fundamentally different physically and mentally

I dont think any person is equal to another.

Sounds bad to say this but some people are just better than others. That is life, that is biology :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying men and women are the same, I'm saying they're equal. Same and equal don't mean the same thing.
hootkey shira
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying men and women are the same, I'm saying they're equal. Same and equal don't mean the same thing.
Then what do you mean by equal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then what do you mean by equal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As in one sex isn't inherently better than the other, and they both deserve the same rights.
chelseafreak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Reading some bible passages this verse just jumped out at me.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise".

I think this is a strong reply to all who think man is above a woman.

No - God created us equal with different tasks in life to do according to our abilities.

This is also a strong reply to anyone who thinks their race or creed is above another's, NO we are all one in God's sight.

neither male or female means it is also a good argument against religious people saying that being gay is against gods will but that isn't mentioned since it doesn't suit the argument. oh well i'm not religious anyway
hootkey shira
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As in one sex isn't inherently better than the other, and they both deserve the same rights.
I disagree, and so would many biologists

Evolution has made it so that males are better than females overall in humans

In other species it is the other way around - the females are stronger, better equipped etc

I guess i agree that they deserve same/similar rights tho
Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I disagree, and so would many biologists

Evolution has made it so that males are better than females overall in humans

In other species it is the other way around - the females are stronger, better equipped etc

I guess i agree that they deserve same/similar rights tho
Posted from TSR Mobile
Provide evidence that males are "better" and explain exactly what you mean by this.
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Men and women are not physically or emotionally equal.
hootkey shira
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Provide evidence that males are "better" and explain exactly what you mean by this.
Come on bro, i have no time to dig up articles and stuff.. :sigh:

We all know and accept that the male sex is on average more competent, more useful, innovative, creative, stronger, athletic, etc etc

The male sex is much more responsible for the way society is today. Evolution has equipped the male sex with better anatomy

Of course some women are much better than some males but these are rare occurences

It's clear that you are just white knighting.

What i have said is just the truth and isnt meant to belittle the womanfolk or anything. It's just the way things are and if you cant accept that then you got issues bro :dontknow::lolwut:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Come on bro, i have no time to dig up articles and stuff.. :sigh:

We all know and accept that the male sex is on average more competent, more useful, innovative, creative, stronger, athletic, etc etc

The male sex is much more responsible for the way society is today. Evolution has equipped the male sex with better anatomy

Of course some women are much better than some males but these are rare occurences

It's clear that you are just white knighting.

What i have said is just the truth and isnt meant to belittle the womanfolk or anything. It's just the way things are and if you cant accept that then you got issues bro :dontknow::lolwut:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure there even are such articles...

Not at all, it is obvious that women appear to have contributed less because they have been repressed for so long and werent allowed to contribute almost at all for centuries. Where's your evidence they are less innovative, intelligent and creative?
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's like the difference between = and ≡
Hariex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interestingly the actual translation is 'there is no male and female'. Just saying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (34)
22.22%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (73)
47.71%
I'm unsure (46)
30.07%

Watched Threads