Girls, how do you feel about the guy not paying for you on the first date? Watch

Poll: Do you mind if the guy doesn't pay for you?
I would think he's cheap and I'm traditional (6)
6.19%
I don't mind, why should he have to pay for me? (50)
51.55%
I'm a bloke (41)
42.27%
Anunaki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do you mind if the guy only pays for himself and not the whole date?

And guys, what's the current ''environment'' in dating, do girls usually offer to chip in or not?
Musie Suzie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always offer to go halves.
SEHB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would definitley pay for myself on a first date. I would never expect a guy to pay.
Arieh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd prefer he did offer to pay, but if he didn't wouldn't be a big problem (especially if I knew he was a student/unemployed/earning less than me).
If he did offer to pay, I'd reciprocate on the second date so that we end unto being more or less even anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm indifferent, if you wanna pay, nice, if you don't, fine
DreamOrNightmare
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obvs I'd rather he pay, they usually do for me but idm either way
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My recent experience suggests that women are far more likely to be willing to pay half (or even offer to cover the entire bill) than was previously the case, but this might be more to do with the kind of women I usually date. I'd guess it's rooted in the fact that women have jobs now, whereas when the old rules of dating were established, the man worked and looked after the woman. I also think women have far more independence and self respect now than their traditional gender role offered in the past, and might find it demeaning to not pay their own way.

I regard the expectation that I should pay for someone else to be a red flag; I like independent ladies who can look after themselves. This isn't to say that I wouldn't offer to pay, particularly if I earned significantly more.
NishaaaR
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Prefer splitting the bill - I don't like it when someone pays for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Crystalz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd like it if he offered... so i could decline and pay for myself. The offering part is important though.
Anunaki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crystalz)
I'd like it if he offered... so i could decline and pay for myself. The offering part is important though.
Why isn't it as important that the woman offers to pay for everything?
starlight82
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always go halves. Although I appreciate the guy offering, I would feel bad if I didn't pay The fairest way is to both pay since it's a shared experience.
Crystalz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anunaki)
Why isn't it as important that the woman offers to pay for everything?
Gender roles. Which I kind of believe in (sorry not sorry #weakfeminist)
Anunaki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crystalz)
Gender roles. Which I kind of believe in (sorry not sorry #weakfeminist)
Well , you see, the ''kind of '' bit is the issue here. It sounds like you want to pick and choose when and where to be traditional. Or do you believe the man should be the protector/provider and ruler of the roost? If that's the case then there is no issue.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't like the idea of a guy paying tbh! I'd rather go halves or pay myself.
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
unless he would offer then I wouldn't have no problem paying for my own food or whatever. tbh, a first date is when two people are only beginning to know each other, whats the point in someone paying for someone else (unless out of politeness) if the date is all that?
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is all very nice to know
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would prefer to split the bill but if I earned more than him or had really enjoyed it then I would offer to pay for everything.
I wouldn't want him to pay for me, and I would try not to let him, unless it became so awkward from his insistence that it was easier to say OK.
So I'd rather he didn't offer, and he did offer, I'd hope he'd back down easily!
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
He's got to pay for me AND make me a God damn sandwich.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
What? Not even a 50/50 split?
(Personally I won't mind...because I'd never go on one hehehe)
SarahLund
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On a first date I'd say go halves, but as you get to know someone they'll cover it sometimes and you'll cover it on other occasions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (92)
50%
No (92)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed