The Student Room Group

Should you email your access course results to your insurance choice?

Hi all I've met the conditions offered by my firm choice and emailed them my results my ucas track account will be updated in August. As I've got the correct amount of distinctions I can't see why they would turn me down.
Should I also be emailing my insurance choice as well, maybe for the 'just in case' scenario?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bibliboo
Hi all I've met the conditions offered by my firm choice and emailed them my results my ucas track account will be updated in August. As I've got the correct amount of distinctions I can't see why they would turn me down.
Should I also be emailing my insurance choice as well, maybe for the 'just in case' scenario?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did ya get?
Reply 2
I got all 45 credits at distinction level. Which is what my firm choice asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is like the blind leading the blind, really (I'm just feeling my way through each step of the HE journey), but my understanding is that a conditional offer is conditional solely on the terms explicitly stated in the offer. Therefore, if you've submitted written proof to the uni that you've met said conditions, your place is guaranteed. I can't see how they can pull anything else out of the bag at the last stage of the process. I haven't got an insurance choice, so I'll be screwed if my uni do that to me.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I can't see any harm in doing this if you feel like you want that extra level of security. I believe the term of contract is used when firming offers so not sure if the university would be able to break that contract without any major reason.

As a side note I'm curious if you will be eligible for adjustment given that you require 45 credits distinction the maximum and have achieve the maximum can't go higher. This would be one reason to let other universities know of your results.
How many merits did you get along the way?
Reply 6
Original post by MoonmanKKK
How many merits did you get along the way?

None, I had three assignments (out of around 30) that were marked at DMD, which rounds up to a distinction along with other assignments for a specific module.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sure, with a little note saying 'suck it, losers!'
Original post by Seiza
As a side note I'm curious if you will be eligible for adjustment given that you require 45 credits distinction the maximum and have achieve the maximum can't go higher. This would be one reason to let other universities know of your results.

AFAIK, Access students are eligible for clearance, but imo, it's not a particularly good idea in most cases, because:

1) It's probably more appropriate for A-Level students. By Dec/Jan, you can pretty much see the way the wind is blowing, so to speak, with Access. Except in very unusual circumstances, e.g., your college's internal marking being grossly out of whack with the external moderators', you can't radically defy expectations (either positively or negatively) at the last hurdle with Access. Therefore it's much easier to tailor your UCAS choices to your likely results. (I admit that there is an equally valid argument to be made that it's easier for A-Level students to make the most appropriate choices, since they usually have a full year to gauge their likely performance before having to make them, whereas Access students typically have only a few months.)

2) If you've researched your choices and you're happy with your firm, why suddenly consider changing it at the last minute simply because you've exceeded the conditions of your offer? You have much less time to make an informed decision about an adjustment place than you had with your original choice, so why is the former going to be a better decision than the latter?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
AFAIK, Access students are eligible for clearance, but imo, it's not a particularly good idea in most cases, because:

1) It's probably more appropriate for A-Level students. By Dec/Jan, you can pretty much see the way the wind is blowing, so to speak, with Access. Except in very unusual circumstances, e.g., your college's internal marking being grossly out of whack with the external moderators', you can't radically defy expectations (either positively or negatively) at the last hurdle with Access. Therefore it's much easier to tailor your UCAS choices to your likely results. (I admit that there is an equally valid argument to be made that it's easier for A-Level students to make the most appropriate choices, since they usually have a full year to gauge their likely performance before having to make them, whereas Access students typically have only a few months.)

2) If you've researched your choices and you're happy with your firm, why suddenly consider changing it at the last minute simply because you've exceeded the conditions of your offer? You have much less time to make an informed decision about an adjustment place than you had with your original choice, so why is the former going to be a better decision than the latter?

No I'm sticking to my firm choice, I haven't changed my mind. I was just wandering if I had to send my results to the insurance choice or if everyone sent their results to both or just the firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
None, I had three assignments (out of around 30) that were marked at DMD, which rounds up to a distinction along with other assignments for a specific module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if you were to tally them up, you got 87 distinctions and 3 merits.
No I'm sticking to my firm choice, I haven't changed my mind. I was just wandering if I had to send my results to the insurance choice or if everyone sent their results to both or just the firm?

I've not got an insurance choice, so it's not an issue I've looked into. But fwiw, I'd say no, you don't need to. The way I see it, it's redundant.

Doesn't seem right, does it? I had 20 assignments @ 3 credits each.
I've not got an insurance choice, so it's not an issue I've looked into. But fwiw, I'd say no, you don't need to. The way I see it, it's redundant.

Doesn't seem right, does it? I had 20 assignments @ 3 credits each.

I am not even sure how many assignments I had, but there were nowhere near 30. I think maybe 15 or 16 at a push.

Were all your credits L3? If you're talking about 20 including the L2 ones, then yeah. But those were like filling out the student satisfaction survey, hardly assignments.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am not even sure how many assignments I had, but there were nowhere near 30. I think maybe 15 or 16 at a push.

Were all your credits L3? If you're talking about 20 including the L2 ones, then yeah. But those were like filling out the student satisfaction survey, hardly assignments.

My credits were (are) all L3, I believe. (I've yet to see hide nor hair of any official results, transcripts etc. from my awarding body, so it's not like it's in plain sight for me.) I had 5 assignments for each of the four subjects. Soc, Pysch and Lit studies were my graded ones, but while study skills were ungraded, they should still be @ L3. They involved a lot more work than doing student satisfaction surveys! (You got off easy, it seems.) In fact, the amount of work required study skills assignments is a sore point for me - so much so that I ranted about it on here.
(edited 8 years ago)
My credits were (are) all L3, I believe. (I've yet to see hide nor hair of any official results, transcripts etc. from my awarding body, so it's not like it's in plain sight for me.) I had 5 assignments for each of the four subjects. Soc, Pysch and Lit studies were my graded ones, but while study skills were ungraded, they should still be @ L3. They involved a lot more work than doing student satisfaction surveys! (You got off easy, it seems.) In fact, the amount of work required study skills assignments is a sore point for me - so much so that I ranted about it on here.

For our course, our study skills were L2 and involved explaining our UCAS application (which took a lot of time, in hindsight), and L2 maths, and some basic L2 English looking at the biases in academic textbooks.

The regional and even collegiate variation in how Access is delivered explains why our diplomas are not given UCAS tariff points.
Reply 15

'Student satisfaction survery'... are you serious?

My Study Skills assignments are quite intense (They're all L3), and a lot of them have required research and further reading. I think it's slightly unfair that some colleges can offer L2 Study Skills... especially if the workload is as little as you have made it out to be.

Just my opinion...
Reply 16

Lol no it's 45 distinctions (level 3) but for each module (usually worth 3 or 6 credits) between 2-5 assignments. There there were an extra 15 credits (study skills) at level 2. For some assignments there a few bits of work to do (eg one part would be a test and the second part would be written)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol no it's 45 distinctions (level 3) but for each module (usually worth 3 or 6 credits) between 2-5 assignments. There there were an extra 15 credits (study skills) at level 2. For some assignments there a few bits of work to do (eg one part would be a test and the second part would be written)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Naturally, I was not saying your diploma reads 87 distinctions and 3 merits, Hence my saying 'tally'.
Original post by Kaeden
'Student satisfaction survery'... are you serious?

My Study Skills assignments are quite intense (They're all L3), and a lot of them have required research and further reading. I think it's slightly unfair that some colleges can offer L2 Study Skills... especially if the workload is as little as you have made it out to be.

Just my opinion...

I agree it is unfair that I had to do so little for L2 study skills. It is also unfair that some people do 70 credits and then only include the 45 highest graded credits in their diploma. We could sit around all day musing over injustices in Access to HE and indeed the world generally.
@Kaeden once you have quoted me, I can still see your reply no matter if you delete. Just for future reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending